2.2 upgrade for viewpad 10 from Viewsonic

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
I just ran across this today, (I didn't notice it the other day) but they have the 2.2 download and installation instructions posted on their site. Viewsonic » ViewPad 10 I wonder if it is the one for the viewpad 10 Pro they are coming out with. I hope this is more stable than the one on android-x86.org. I am at work right now but I will try it later and report back unless someone beats me to it.
and just in case someone asks, no flash still will not work, adobe needs to create a version compatible with x86 processors that run android.

Last edited:

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
it is indeed the official 2.2 upgrade, it comes preloaded with skyfire as the default browser so we can view flash video, everything seems to work great and right now I am in the process of getting Google apps on it so we can have access to the market. I will post a tutorial later.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
how about the speaker and mic? do those work?

the speakers work, Bluetooth works, wifi works,I havent tried the mic yet but I would imagine that it does. they changed how the ROM installs so it is locked down a little, so we cant just add files to the system, but I am about half way done extracting and recompiling it with Gapps.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
well getting the Gapps on this thing doesn't look to promising, I was able repackage the system files into the .img file the was able to get it into a .sfs file but there are so many compression and different options and i don't know which one they used. if there is someone with more expertise in this area it would help.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
well after many trials and errors I finally got a remodified system.sfs to boot, I modified the build.prop so it will be identified as a Moto Xoom so we have access to the tablet section of the market. I am testing now and will report back.

dleite

Mar 24, 2011
sweet. i might be tempted to reinstall android next week just to try it. thursday is ubuntu 11.04 release date so i might put the new android on as dual boot with it.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
can you play angrybirds? i can't. it always say "application not installed"

no unfortunately it doesn't work, it is probably the the same reason as to why flash doesn't work, it only supports arm processors. I can browse the market fine but the amount of apps working are a hit or miss because of the processor we have.

sweet. i might be tempted to reinstall android next week just to try it. thursday is ubuntu 11.04 release date so i might put the new android on as dual boot with it.

I am still working some things out but everything is pretty much working, youtube, gmail, market, maps, and the browser. I change the build ID to the HTC incredible because there aren't enough apps for the xoom worth downloading. android on this seems more usable to me now that I added Gapps.

AndyChang

Apr 23, 2011
no unfortunately it doesn't work, it is probably the the same reason as to why flash doesn't work, it only supports arm processors. I can browse the market fine but the amount of apps working are a hit or miss because of the processor we have.

I am still working some things out but everything is pretty much working, youtube, gmail, market, maps, and the browser. I change the build ID to the HTC incredible because there aren't enough apps for the xoom worth downloading. android on this seems more usable to me now that I added Gapps.
thx, but is it possible that angry birds can work in the future??and can u tell me how to install gapps?

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
thx, but is it possible that angry birds can work in the future??and can u tell me how to install gapps?

unless Rovio adds support for the x86 architecture it will never work. installing gapps is a little complicated, it involves using linux, mounting the system.img file, adding the apps then using squashfs4.2 to compress it back to a .sfs file, after that it is as simple as replacing the one you made with the original. if you are still interested I will post a tutorial or I can just post the one I made once I get things ironed out.

AndyChang

Apr 23, 2011
unless Rovio adds support for the x86 architecture it will never work. installing gapps is a little complicated, it involves using linux, mounting the system.img file, adding the apps then using squashfs4.2 to compress it back to a .sfs file, after that it is as simple as replacing the one you made with the original. if you are still interested I will post a tutorial or I can just post the one I made once I get things ironed out.
ok, but if you did something wrong, will ur viewpad be laggy or something wrong?
because i think it's kind of risky.

RckyBobby

Apr 2, 2011
I format the android partition in ntfs so if it doesn't boot or something is wrong I can boot into windows and replace the system.sfs that is in the android partition with the original. you have to remember this is totally different than installing android on a phone, it is virtually impossible to to mess your tablet up. make sure you create a windows recovery disk because there has been a few times that installing android wiped the windows boot.mbr, but a simple recovery fixed it.