2 Problems I found with my Coby 9742 4:3, Help if possible.

DarKaoZ

Aug 28, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the Tablet world, but I did a lot of research before adventuring myself in buying a tablet. In the end I bought the 9742 4:3 Coby Kyros, I thought it was a great value for 200 dllrs.

But I have notice 2 small issues so far, hopefully someone can help me out and tell me if I should return it or not:

1. Screen Tearing, for some reason when I have the tablet horizontally and I move my fingers up and down I will see screen tearing, not always. This happens in the Android main menu, dunno if this is serious problem or not, so if someone could please tell me, I would appreciate it.

2. I downloaded Skype from 1Mobile appstore and when I tried to talk to a family member, they told me the image they were getting was all PINK bars and with colored artifacts, yet I could see them perfectly in my tablet. Then I tested the front and rear camera to see if maybe they were defective, but so far the tablet cameras take normal photos and video. Has someone experienced this problem while using Skype on this specific Coby Kyros model?

Thanks you for your time, hopefully I can help in a near future.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
1. Screen tearing is a side effect of using an Allwinner CPU with its built-in Mali GPU versus a Snapdragon with Adreno GPU or Tegra with Nvidia GPU. Try changing the launcher to something a bit lighter in memory, like HoloLauncher.

2. I don't use Skype so I can only speculate on what's happening. Notwithstanding the fact the cameras are very low quality compared to cameras in most other tablets, it's sounding like Skype isn't interfacing with the camera driver properly. Try a video chat app like Oovoo and see if it happens there.

DarKaoZ

Aug 28, 2012
1. Screen tearing is a side effect of using an Allwinner CPU with its built-in Mali GPU versus a Snapdragon with Adreno GPU or Tegra with Nvidia GPU. Try changing the launcher to something a bit lighter in memory, like HoloLauncher.

2. I don't use Skype so I can only speculate on what's happening. Notwithstanding the fact the cameras are very low quality compared to cameras in most other tablets, it's sounding like Skype isn't interfacing with the camera driver properly. Try a video chat app like Oovoo and see if it happens there.

Ohh ok, so its normal. Phew, I thought that something might be wrong with the screen. As long as its due to the CPU I'm ok with screen tearing, is rare for it to happen, but its there.

BTW I tried ooVoo and it doesn't work in this case, the video doesn't show on the PC, but it does on the tablet, BUT it shows on the tablet rotated -90* (aka rotated to the left) , even if I rotate the tablet, it will always show -90*. =/

I haven't yet tried any rooting, since I'm new to this, will need to read before doing it. And for what I read, its kinda unsafe to do so unless you know exactly which model of 9742 you have. Is there any specific way to know which model you have? Haven't found out that yet.

BTW Thanks you for your time in answer the questions!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Rooting and installing a custom ROM are two different things. You can do the former without doing the latter. That's what I did.

1. Root
2. Create a system dump
3. Install Clockworkmod recovery
4. Install Google apps package from goo.im/gapps

There are some advanced tweaks to improve Google Play compatibility and turn on the network location service in my signature, but don't try doing those until you're more comfortable with doing such things.

DarKaoZ

Aug 28, 2012
BTW I found a solution to the Skype problem, just download Skype ver 2.5.4.162-21 , it works perfectly and no camera issues.