3.2 update hit North Carolina

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Slowness when typing (especially here in this forum) is due to all the java script the bone-headed managers of this
site insist on running. They know damn well it performs horribly on android yet they persist in running this crap.

You can make it a little bit better by clicking Settings (top line, where it says Welcome, Notifications, My profile , etc.
Then scroll down left side and click General settings.
Then scroll to very bottom and click the radio button that says Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls.

If still too slow, select Basic Editor.

I STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend SwiftKey Tablet X keyboard. Its not free, but its been proven to be
way better than anything else. SwiftKey X - The world's first 'Social AI' keyboard Its not a gimmick like Swype, it knows what word you intend to type
even before you type the first letter.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
My Acer has been rendered virtually useless after the 3.2 update. Seems like the very desktop itself is FCing....right now the screen is blank and unresponsive...unless I hold the power button down and then it will ask if I want to shut down. If I don't, then the screen just goes blank again and the tablet becomes unresponsive...If I close it down and then power it back up...it finally gets to a desktop after a long while (saying digital clock is loading with a small rotating circle)...and then it eventually gets back to the mode of blank screen and unresponsiveness....

It was working quite fine before the update.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
This can happen if the desktop has widgets on it that it cant find.

Sometimes you can quickly tap and hold thad clock widget and drag it to trash before it has a chance to lock up the tablet.
Somdtimes you can quickly jump into settings and kill the task widget and clear its data. But you gota do this quick or it might lock up again.
Also eject your Microsd card if you have one. (one less task to compete for your resources at boot time).

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
My gps does not lock on. It started with 2 sat then went to 5 but never locked after 15 min.

So it would seem that part is useless like others for me now.

I will leave it out side longer later today and see if it ever connects.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You are using some app that shows the number satellites.
That app wasn't written for Android 3.2.

So just ignore that app.

Fire up Maps or Google Earth. If they work then you can stop fretting about the GPS.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Removing widgets from the desktop seems to have helped.(thanks)..but I still get a lot of FCs and I can't get an update to an APP from the market nor can I download any new APP from the market.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Make sure the market app is signed in with the correct account.
If more than one gmail account is defined in settings / accounts, the market app may switch due to an irritating bug.

After deleting you widgets, you can add them back again and they should work fine.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
You are using some app that shows the number satellites.
That app wasn't written for Android 3.2.

So just ignore that app.

Fire up Maps or Google Earth. If they work then you can stop fretting about the GPS.

They work but only if I am on WIFI. The app use to work before the update. GPS status. But I understand it may not work after the OS update.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
They work but only if I am on WIFI. The app use to work before the update. GPS status. But I understand it may not work after the OS update.

There is a setting under Location and Security (first option) that says Use Wireless networks for location.
If you Uncheck this, most of these apps seem to work. They are just slow.

With Use wireless networks Checked, apparently these apps are too dumb to use the WiFi properly, and
they either don't work at all, or they wait forever when you have wifi off or are out of wifi range.

You might try unchecking that setting if you absolutely need to use the GPS away from WiFi.
Down side of that, is Google Maps is slower too, but it does work.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
OK thank you. Well if I am driving I don't have wifi so ya I have to use it without that :)

If I can figure out how to teather to my Droid phone like I do with my Linux laptop I would have it made. But so far it won't work and I don't have the hotspot active. I wanted to teather but that's a topic for another discussion. (Seen many topics on that. But none seem to work for me)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: