350mb update (7.006.01) will not work

nnind62

Jan 29, 2012
Hi All,

I purchased my A500 a couple of weeks ago and fairly happy with it so far. It came with honeycomb v3.1 and on the very first day it came up saying it had found an update which is 350mb and labelled 7.006.01. When I first downloaded and opened this update it kept on reporting that the "update is invalid" and then it would start over and ask me to download again. I must have downloaded this update 20 times in the past couple of weeks, but it never works!
I have tried full reboot and also have performed a full factory reset, but still I can't get this update to work. I have emailed Acer support, but despite their website saying that they will respond within 24 hours, I have not heard yet in 2 weeks!

Can anyone advise:

1) what is this update?
2) any ideas why it is failing?
3) I've read somewhere about putting the update.zip file onto the SD card and then doing a volume key restart. Will this work and if so, where can I find the downloaded file on the A500, as it seems to be hidden (i,'ve searched with Astro File Manager)?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Nick

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Is the update for an app or for the operating system? I have seen some apps that had updates that were not compatible with tablets yet. And they will not install correctly. If it is an app then delete that app and go to the Market and download it. That way you will have the most recent version right off of the Market. If it is for the operating system then I am afraid I will have to let someone else chime in because that doesn't sound right. Have you tried rebooting you tablet? Sometimes that helps with an app that is acting up.

candita

Jan 7, 2012
make sure that ur tablet is plugged in & that its not going in standby mode...set your settings to where ur screen stays on all the time and then try again

nnind62

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the comments so far. The update is for the OS and judging by the size I thought it might be the main 3.2 update, but I don't really know. I've always had it on the charger when the update was unzipping, so that can't be the issue.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

candita

Jan 7, 2012
but do you have the tablet where it doesnt go in standby mode..in the settings you can set it to where the display never turns off..thats what it needs to be on to do the update

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Several people have reported similar problems.
Some times just re-trying works. But the numbers you report (7.006) are pretty old. Mine is 7.014.02.
if your tablet was ever rooted, and just about anything changed that requires root, the update won't install because
it check-sums the installation you currently have to make sure the update is the proper one for your device.

You can email them again, or you can call them up.
They are equally clueless in either case so be sure you have a a dead chicken, a paper bag, and a box of incense handy when carrying out their instructions.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
It's really too bad they don't provide the files and method to upgrade these from a USB connection.