3g/month

gennie

Jun 17, 2011
Can someone give me a breakdown of what 3g/month mean? This always confuses me.... ex., how many movies or hours i can watch movies... so i wont go over my data plan?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well i assume this means 3GB of bandwidth per month - so this means everytime you use your tablet to connect to the internet whether downloading files, viewing websites, sending email or sms, listening to streaming music (like pandora) or watching youtube, you are using up bandwidth. Each of this activity take up a certain amount of bandwidth - as you can imagine video files are much bigger than text files, so you'll likely use up a lot of bandwidth with it - but not so very much when checking email or sending SMS. Here are some typical sizes for a variety of activities - but could be much more depending on quality - i.e. higher quality music might be 3MB instead of 1 MB

so if we take music as an example - 1 minute of music consumes 1MB, that means with 3GB we can listen to music ~1.5 hours a day for 30 days to use up 3GB or watch ~8 - 2 hour movies in a month before going over our allotment. A good habbit to have is to use wifi (which is usually free and does not take up the 3G budget) whereever you can get it - i typically go to a local starbucks, mcDonalds and use thier free wifi to access content
  • 1 plain text email = 20 KB
  • 1 photo, file, or document = 500 KB
  • 1 web page = 180 KB
  • 1 minute using a connected app or game = 3 MB
  • 1 minute of streaming music = 1 MB
  • 1 minute of streaming video = 3 MB
  • 1 MB = 1,024 KB
  • 1 GB = 1,024 MB

Can someone give me a breakdown of what 3g/month mean? This always confuses me.... ex., how many movies or hours i can watch movies... so i wont go over my data plan?

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks AT, I was hoping you'd see this, because I knew you'd know the answer.:)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Good, now all we have to work on is capitalization.:rolleyes:

gennie

Jun 17, 2011
Hi Anima,

Thank you for your help and for taking the time, I really appreciate it.