3Q Q-Pad RC0710B

Sep 16, 2012
Thanks again, as I wrote before, I already read a bit into this issue (imho still a clear desig fail :mad:, since there are already other USB solutions out providing up to 2A via the standard USB ports of various sizes, but never mind.).

2 amps? Sounds a bit optimistic. My Gigabyte motherboard is actually able to "overdrive" the USB port with up to 750mA to supply the fruity i-Devices with charging juice. However, I don't know of any motherboard out there that would output 2 amps on a single USB 2.0 connector.

What troubles me most is that I can't simply use one of my phone chargers (1,5A output) or my car charger (2A output), just because this tab uses the small round (2,5mm?) plug to draw its power from.

Yes, it's a 2.5mm power plug. If you have some old Nokia cellphone power supply from a phone that's no longer in use / already dead; they had the same connector for quite a while. Clip off the cable right at the charger and re-use it.

Anyway you confirmed that it's simply not possible by design (and therefore no malfunction)

Yes, it's intentional by design, and there's no easy "let's patch a wire from the USB +5V pin over to the charging jack" solution either as the tablet is actually outputting +5V on the µUSB for USB OTG connected devices (Mice, Keyboards, 3G mobile sticks, ...).

I wish you luck in your quest to set your inner MacGyver free. ;)

mwrsa

Feb 2, 2013
2 amps? Sounds a bit optimistic. My Gigabyte motherboard is actually able to "overdrive" the USB port with up to 750mA to supply the fruity i-Devices with charging juice. However, I don't know of any motherboard out there that would output 2 amps on a single USB 2.0 connector.
Nope, no MB, but some chargers (wall/car) provide USB A to plug in the individual charging cable. But some Laptops are said to deliver more than .5A at least.

Yes, it's a 2.5mm power plug. If you have some old Nokia cellphone power supply from a phone that's no longer in use / already dead; they had the same connector for quite a while. Clip off the cable right at the charger and re-use it.
Too bad. It's been AGES that I've had a Nokia (In fact, only my first Mobile was one). I've had Smartphones since Windows CE then WinMobile 5 (and nobody knew HTC back then...) and haven't even kept most of those.

Yes, it's intentional by design, and there's no easy "let's patch a wire from the USB +5V pin over to the charging jack" solution either as the tablet is actually outputting +5V on the µUSB for USB OTG connected devices (Mice, Keyboards, 3G mobile sticks, ...).
What?!? And there's no OTG cable in the box? Didn't know THAT! :cool:

I wish you luck in your quest to set your inner MacGyver free. ;)
Not necessary: Probably just found a seller not far from my place who offers the right piece ("USB Tablet charging cable"). Even though he doesn't list that device, but I guess that many of those tablets listed (Huawei, Ideos, some Archos Arnova, many Chinese ones...) are the same size.

Sep 16, 2012
What?!? And there's no OTG cable in the box? Didn't know THAT! :cool:

Yes, the µUSB supports USB OTG as there's a full-blown USB 2.0 root hub inside the device (you never looked at the "dmesg" output of the kernel? :confused:)

Anyway, since I'm using the RC0710B as a "playtoy" for development and testing (just finished a AOSP Jelly Bean ROM a few days ago as the lousy Chinese-made ICS ROM finally got too much on my nerves)... I got a USB OTG cable (µUSB -> USB) for ~2 Eur quite a while ago. Logitech Wireless keyboard having a integrated touchpad works quite nicely ... and by using a USB hub (powered) I can even connect the keyboard plus USB hard drive at the same time.

Anything else you yet don't know about the tablet? :eek:

EDIT: Short summary of the things inside
Code:
  Cortex A8 (ARMv7a-NEON) 1GHz
  Vivante GC800 GPU
  512MB LPDDR3 RAM
  4GB Flash Storage (Manufacturer may vary)
  Realtek RTL8188CU 802.11n WiFi (USB connected)
  Realtek RT5631 Audio
  GC0308 Front Camera 0.3Mpx
  FT5x0x Capacitive Touchscreen
  MMA7660 Orientation Sensor
  ANX7150 HDMI
  HYM8563 Realtime Clock
  DWC USB 2.0 OTG Controller
  7" 800x480 LCD, PPI and Display type unknown
Even though he doesn't list that device, but I guess that many of those tablets listed (Huawei, Ideos, some Archos Arnova, many Chinese ones...) are the same size.

Yes, I also have a Arnova 10d G3 (given to me by a friend to try and develop on - though that seems a dead road as there's no real documentation about the VIA WM8850 CPU) sitting around, and that one has the same power jack and even same specs on the charger (and that's the 2nd one that can't be charged via, in this case, miniUSB).

Last edited:

mwrsa

Feb 2, 2013
Yes, the µUSB supports USB OTG as there's a full-blown USB 2.0 root hub inside the device (you never looked at the "dmesg" output of the kernel? :confused:)

No, not yet. I only installed F-droid and then a terminal yesterday (or -night, to be precise).

Anyway, since I'm using the RC0710B as a "playtoy" for development and testing (just finished a AOSP Jelly Bean ROM a few days ago as the lousy Chinese-made ICS ROM finally got too much on my nerves)... I got a USB OTG cable (µUSB -> USB) for ~2 Eur quite a while ago. Logitech Wireless keyboard having a integrated touchpad works quite nicely ... and by using a USB hub (powered) I can even connect the keyboard plus USB hard drive at the same time.

Anything else you yet don't know about the tablet? :eek:

Currently not, thank you. I intended to use this nice small piece for multiple purposes: First for notetaking@work, which, sadly, doesn't work on the small resolution (Pulled S-notes app). Second was the car entertainment project (Placed "hovering" in front of my dash radio), which is currently delayed - power cord, you know. Third was the general entertainment and playing purpose, which is slightly diminished by said graphics issues, but still is good enough. The 10"- device I had before was simply tooooo big to be carried comfortably.

Yes, I also have a Arnova 10d G3 (given to me by a friend to try and develop on - though that seems a dead road as there's no real documentation about the VIA WM8850 CPU) sitting around, and that one has the same power jack and even same specs on the charger (and that's the 2nd one that can't be charged via, in this case, miniUSB).

After having run into quite a number of things (many solved by your help!!!!!) I did some further search the first night (you know, frustrated...) and stumbled over the Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame/Burning. About twice the cost (and therefore still rather affordable), way more power and 1280x800 IPS on seven small inches. My fingers are itching really badly, especially since the vendor (who imports them from China) is again quite close by. We'll see.

Sep 16, 2012
Hi mwrsa (Martin)!

If you want a good tip: Look into getting yourself a Nexus 7 or some Samsung Galaxy Tab/Note.
BOTH are, compared to the cheapo RC0710B, and similar, China-junk, of superior build quality and the both work without major kinks or issues.

As a worthwhile tablet (not meant for messing around with) I own a Nexus 10 and that bad boy rocks. While I still think it's incredibly stupid of Google to drop the possibility to extend storage capacity by using a microSD[HC/XC] (to quote the Nutjob in charge of Google's Hardware: "it's too confusing for the customer" <-- yeah, maybe for you, idiot) I arranged myself with the tablet by using a USB OTG USB stick to carry around data and offline Music.

The Nexus 7 might fit your price-range and expectations, and you can also use a USB OTG Stick or hard drive (though a hard drive is not as easy to haul around and it also needs to be externally powered to operate) to extent the storage. From the price/performance viewpoint this might be your best shot - though the 7" Galaxy Tab devices would also be a viable option to look at.

The "overblown" solution to your "taking notes" idea might be the Galaxy Note 2 - though that one is a real cellphone and may be somewhat above the price range you seem to aim at.

Jan 20, 2013
Hallo again,

after rooting I cant connect a USB-Drive which worked before with
the first original firmware.

The drive isnt recognized and also the button in "setting:storage:MountUSB-Disk"
doesnt work.

What do I wrong?
icon9.png

-emmanuel

Jan 20, 2013
How did you root?

First I flashed with "custom-prerooted" but this shows a lot
of error-messages "Fehlermeldung "Prozess android.process.acore wurde unerwartet beendet".
So this was unusable. Then I flashed back to the Stock Version untouched and rootet
it under Linux with the rooting tool. The batch seems to have problems with timing,
doesnt work but then I made the batch manually step-by-stepp and everything was fine.

But no way to connect usb drive or usb stick. No device is recognized. Nothing
happens. No device in /dev section. Tried with some tools from play store but also
no effect. But it worked with the original firmware. I tried to load that again from
3Q server but the download chrashed all times after more or less time (tried 5 times on
different days) :mad: Mailed to 3Q support 3 times - no answer (****ing bastards!!)
Does anybody knows where i can get the ORIGINAL UNTOUCHED firmware?
I wanted to use this tablet as a music player because i cant get a mp3 player
with enough memory (500GB) So it would be nice to connect such a drive via USB.

I needed only to root for adhoc-network access to load and try some player apps.
This workes fine but now I would be happy with the standard app AND USB-support.

Sep 16, 2012
There's definitely something wrong on your end. The rooting scripts (no matter if it's the Windows version or my port for Linux) work, and the modded Stock ROM variants are *ALL* tested and DO work on my RC0710B flawlessly (well, of course only within the buggy nature of that lousy Chinese-made crap ROM, that is). HDMI output works, WiFi works (install WiFi Fixer from the Play Store in case WiFi craps out), USB OTG works (tested with a Keyboard, Mouse and external hard drive), Camera works, et al. You actually followed the instructions on how to flash included at the bottom of the changelog text-file?

Anyway...

The UNTOUCHED, GENUINE, ORIGINAL (...) 3Q firmware is FOR DOWNLOAD HERE (seems calling the folder "Original 3Q Firmware" was a bad choice then). I even put it for download in two versions: One package that can be flashed through RKBatchTool and another one that can be flashed through RKAndroidTool ... you only need to select which one you like.

The UNTOUCHED, GENUINE, ORIGINAL update RAR file from 3Q themselves is for download on their servers here (the download works, I just downloaded the file myself in less than 3 minutes on a HSPA+ mobile connection) and will put it into the "Original 3Q Firmware" folder I linked to above; will be uploaded in ~15 minutes at the time of writing [EDIT: File is up]).

Also, e-mailing their "support" (no matter if you try to talk to the Russians or Switzerlanders) will net you no real results. IF they reply at all they will only tell you that...

... they cannot disclose the requested information
... they can't give you any files
... they can't hand out the kernel sources (because they don't seem to give a crap about complying to the GPL)
... they don't really care about you as a customer

In short - worst customer support I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Beatsleigher

Dec 24, 2012
Hey dude, your MediaFire folder is not there anymore - The link is now dead. I'm real desperate as I'm giving this tablet to a friend in exchange for a PS2 (I'm a retro gamer...) and now I have a tablet which won't boot, because it has no firmware! Shiz!

Please email me as soon as you read this with the link @ [email protected], like I said, I'm REALLY desperate.

Thanks in advance, mate.