4.010.08 update?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Because they didn't touch anything else, or had the foresight to restore before applying the update.
People who simply root and do nothing else are a) few and far between, and b) probably able to use the patch.

Also, many of those that got the FULL OS Update had previous been rooted or installed the leaked chinese version.
Only if your tablet was pretty much pristine will the patch work. Open the patch apk (rename it to zip) and look
at the things they fix. They check a lot (to be sure the patch won't apply to the wrong version), but only fix 4 or 5 small files.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
Because they didn't touch anything else, or had the foresight to restore before applying the update.
People who simply root and do nothing else are a) few and far between, and b) probably able to use the patch.

Also, many of those that got the FULL OS Update had previous been rooted or installed the leaked chinese version.
Only if your tablet was pretty much pristine will the patch work. Open the patch apk (rename it to zip) and look
at the things they fix. They check a lot (to be sure the patch won't apply to the wrong version), but only fix 4 or 5 small files.

Got it.

Odd, as I pretty much did the very same process when I installed the update from HC 3.0 to 3.1 from Acer...unrooted, installed, re-rooted.

Still pretty much at a loss because other the Iconia Root, I did nothing. And like I said, I removed it before trying the 4.010.10 update. Was able to update to 4.010.11 by re-rooting, and flashing the .zip from XDA

Last edited:

tonyselon

Jul 23, 2011
Hi newbie to Android here

I have Acer Iconia tab A500 running Android version 3.0.1 The system update 4.010.38 is offered to download at 386.75Mb but like others it fails to install with the invalid update reason __ is this Android problem or Acer?

tp

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Am having the same problem as tonyselon.

If I do a factory reset, do I lose all my apps and Kindle ebooks?

nickyclem

Jul 22, 2011
there is no such thing as a 4.1 update. Things are confusing enough without introducing imaginary releases.

Tablet was shipped with android 3.0.1.

There was an official 3.1 ota release which had a wifi bug which bit some users.
(there was a hacked release of bata software floating around on the net, it was never pushed ota).

Then there is a 3.1 patch (about 47meg) to patch the wifi bug in 3.1. Which exact version build number you ended up with depends on where you started, but they are all listed in this pdf. This is still android 3.1.

However some people never did get the 3.1 before it was halted, or the hacked their system to the point that acer couldn't tell what they were running, so they got the whole os pushed ota (360meg plus or minus).

Whether you got the patch or the full os replacement, you will still be running android 3.1 and your build number will be acer_a500_4.010.xx._com_genx. The x parts vary by region.

no need to be so rude! Was asking a question as didnt know the answer and dont want to install up dates and have to restore again. Not all of us think we know everthing unlike some!

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
I too am a technoklutz and am not over familiar with Android technology after a lifetime of being in hock to Windows. I am so disappointed with this tablet and wish I hadn't bought it, I can't play games that I subscribe to on it (the card game bridge). Any help is gratefully received, but please don't blind me with science.

tonyselon

Jul 23, 2011
Well i bit the bullet and did factory reset yes i lost all the apps i downloaded since i bought the tablet but as they were all free anyway i didnt mind losing data as had none to lose.
As soon as i rebooted i was offered update 4.010.38 OTA. This time it updated successfully so now running Honeycomb 3.1.
At least now it auto detects my Virgin media wi-fi which the previous version refused to connect to .
So far i am happy bunny as marketplace now tells you which apps you have installed.

TP

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Have contacted Acer to see what they say and if not, I too will bite the bullet. Have a load of Kindle books and will check with Amazon to make sure I can redownload.

At least iTunes does let you keep things you buy.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Have contacted Acer to see what they say and if not, I too will bite the bullet. Have a load of Kindle books and will check with Amazon to make sure I can redownload.

At least iTunes does let you keep things you buy.

You do not lose any apps that you bought, you can re-download them for free.

Same with Kindle book, or Barnes & Noble books. Don't waste your time checking with Amazon, just go for it.

If you are syncing your book marks, email, contacts etc. with your Gmail account, you won't lose any of that stuff either. (And if you aren't, why not?, that's the beauty of an Android device). Sync every thing you can with your google account.

What you will lose is pictures, and some of your own ripped music/videos that you stored on the device.
Also any images, documents, PDFs, you downloaded from the web to your Downloads directory.
I might have missed something, but that's about it.

You can avoid this in the future by setting your camera to store to External_MicroSD, and loading all your own music/videos there as well. Then when/if a factory reset is needed, you just pop out the microsd
and have zero risk.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
As soon as i rebooted i was offered update 4.010.38 OTA. This time it updated successfully so now running Honeycomb 3.1.
TP

So Tony, when the prior OTA failed, had you been rooted, or done any downloads from NON-Market sources?

Did you have a pretty full Sdcard?
Did you have a external MicroSD card added in?

Just trying to figure out why it failed on a virgin machine, but when set back to virgin it works.

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Thanks Icebike. Did a reset, all seems ok and got update and didn't lose anything that mattered. Lost the Facebook app but this seems to have been screwed up.

Think I had deleted a couple of the test games that came with it and presumably that's why it didn't take the update.

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
Lots of people seem to be having some success with doing a factory reset on their tablet to make the update work. Those of you who are successful, were you all rooted? I ask because I've done the factory reset, other mothods mentioned in the forums, and everything ACER sudgested. I only have not tried installing any missing pre loaded apps as I have not uninstalled anything that it came with. I am not rooted. No matter what, the update is either invalid or just simply fails during the unpacking process. Can't return it. Don't wanna give it up for weeks on end. Any other good bits of advice out there before I declare my situation a lost cause?

gormcc1967

Jul 25, 2011
Lots of people seem to be having some success with doing a factory reset on their tablet to make the update work. Those of you who are successful, were you all rooted? I ask because I've done the factory reset, other mothods mentioned in the forums, and everything ACER sudgested. I only have not tried installing any missing pre loaded apps as I have not uninstalled anything that it came with. I am not rooted. No matter what, the update is either invalid or just simply fails during the unpacking process. Can't return it. Don't wanna give it up for weeks on end. Any other good bits of advice out there before I declare my situation a lost cause?

well all i can say after my other rants about Acer is this, i did a full reset, used the way of going through settings > privacy > factory data reset this was because i could not get the hardware reset to work (lol). after start up/reset done the settings>about tablet>system update. followed the prompts and crossed all crosable things on my body.

the good news is it worked finally, it took time and it does take an age to move on from the 25% unwrapped point but it has worked maybe a fluke maybe not, but give it a last try, you never know and if not u can always as the chap at Acer support told me to do turn off auto updates (LOL)

Good Luck

P.S. i am not rooted

Last edited:

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I just don't feel like it's worth it anymore. I don't even feel right selling this on eBay to some poor soul without disclosing the updating issue. Thanks for your help, everybody. Looks like Acer screwed me over.

All right, I think I got a bit more info. I don't know what it could possible mean, but I'm hopping someone out there does...
So, it seems the updates fail when it does some kind of "apply patch check" with the NFS.apk (Need For Speed). Again, I have no idea what that means. But it's a start. A much better lead than I've ever received from ACER. If anybody knows what to do about that (I've already tried re-installing) let me know. Thanks y'all.

Last edited: