7-8" or 10" screen?

herventure

Oct 15, 2011
Hey,

I'm going to be a new Android user in the next several months!
I have one question:
is 7-8" screen sufficient for reading websites comfortably?

One of the main things I will do with the new tablet is just reading websites and I fear that 7-8" screen would make me feel more like I'm browsing via phone, not through a netbook replacement.

Of course, I want to have a tablet as small as possible, but don't want to compromise on comfort to read websites.
So did you notice a significant difference in this area between 8 or 10 inches screens?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think it kind of depends on your eyesight, as often the resolution is similar. I doesn't matter if a tablet can display a webpage without having to scroll horizontally if you need to zoom in to read it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

androidguy

Jan 11, 2011
7 or 8 inch screens are both great especially if you are looking for something portable. You can practically fit the 7 in your back pocket. And you can always use the zoom features too.

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
Pocket-shmocket.... The 10-inchers are about the size and weight of a magazine. If that's to heavy and bulky for you, then you have more serious problems then screen size issues.

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Pocket-shmocket.... The 10-inchers are about the size and weight of a magazine. If that's to heavy and bulky for you, then you have more serious problems then screen size issues.

Really? You've looked at everyone's situations and needs and determined that, huh? Strange that the manufacturers still make them, perhaps they haven't done the market research you have and haven't considered all possible cases like you have.

Realistically, a convertible touchscreen laptop with a 12" screen is about the size of a hardcover book, I guess if one is too heavy and bulky for you and you need a tablet then you must have more serious problems than screen size issues.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, the other day I was at the beach with my 7" tablet and some guy with an iPad walked by and kicked sand on me. I was humiliated so I ordered a 10" tablet out of the back of a comic book and nobody at the beach dares to mess with me anymore.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
Really? You've looked at everyone's situations and needs and determined that, huh? Strange that the manufacturers still make them, perhaps they haven't done the market research you have and haven't considered all possible cases like you have.

Realistically, a convertible touchscreen laptop with a 12" screen is about the size of a hardcover book, I guess if one is too heavy and bulky for you and you need a tablet then you must have more serious problems than screen size issues.

My meaning with my statement is that the real difference between the 7-8" size and the 10" size is fairly minor. Yeah, the 10-inchers are a tad too big for a pocket, but there is a noticably larger area of screen real-estate; whereas the smaller size CAN go into a pocket, but you lose viewing space in trade.

For ladies like myself, we can slip the 10" tablets into our handbags, - once we do a cleanout of all the flotsam and jetsam in there, - and not need much else.

ANd the differences between a tablet device and a TOUCHSCREEN LAPTOP is a whole 'nother story: 1-2 pounds vs. 7-10 pounds! I'd rather carry 'Vouge' magazine than a hardcover Oxford English Dictionary any day. THAT's part of the reason tablets are selling like thay are, in the first place.

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
In my opinion a 7 or 8 inch Android tablet should be sufficient for what you need, but of course everyone's eyesight and vision varies. It was mentioned in this thread that resolutions pretty much remain consistent, which is true to some degree, you're probably looking on average of a 1024x800 resolution, but for larger 10 inch tablets I've noticed there are more options for higher resolution screens. Typically 7 inch tablets are quite a bit cheaper but it all depends on your personal preference really. The good thing about a smaller tablet is that at least you can zoom if need be. If your main agenda was to buy a tablet for watching videos or something I'd probably say go with a 10 inch, but for basic/general web surfing a smaller tablet would likely do just fine.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have both a 7" Galaxy Tab and a 10.1" Asus Transformer, and there is a considerable difference in size, as with a friends Galaxy Pad 10.1 as well. They are not a tad bigger, they are substantially larger. I often carry around my Galaxy Tab in situations I wouldn't consider carrying the larger device.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hey,

I'm going to be a new Android user in the next several months!
I have one question:
is 7-8" screen sufficient for reading websites comfortably?

One of the main things I will do with the new tablet is just reading websites and I fear that 7-8" screen would make me feel more like I'm browsing via phone, not through a netbook replacement.

Of course, I want to have a tablet as small as possible, but don't want to compromise on comfort to read websites.
So did you notice a significant difference in this area between 8 or 10 inches screens?

hi, just like DarrylB said, i think a 7 or 8" tablet should be sufficient for what you need.
They're more portable and with higher resolution capacitive touch screens.many of them are support multi-touch and Zoom function...
You can take a look at our Android Tablet PC, all with lower price, hope you can find any of your interest there!:)

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
I find it reasonably comfortable to look at websites on a 7" screen, though it's a different experience than a full size screen. I don't mind but I really only go on the web to find something specific, not to pleasure browse with my tablet.

I often carry around my Galaxy Tab in situations I wouldn't consider carrying the larger device.

Exactly. My tablet is my work machine for scheduling, gps and email. I'm a traveling speech language pathologist and I spend the day going to kids homes. 7 - 8" is about maximum because it sits on my passenger seat while I drive doing duty as a GPS, then slips into the front pocket of my bag when I go into a patient's home. My S7 works very well for this, though I'm looking at upgrading to an 8" 4:3 screen since it would show my calendar better and I have a friend who would love my S7 as a gift but wouldn't commit to buying and learning how to use a tablet herself. In any case a 10" becomes more hassle than it's worth, at that point I might as well just lug around my TM2 (which weighs 5 lbs, and is heavy for a touch screen laptop).

Last edited: