7 Things Android Ice Cream Sandwich Can Do That iPhones/iPads Can't

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
We'll show you the killer features of Android 4.0, the latest and greatest version of Google's mobile operating system.

By Ian Rosenfield, updated 93 days ago
ir-630-android-ice-cream-sandwich-homescreen-630w.jpg

More and more hot new phones are starting to show up on all of the major carriers running the latest version of Android, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, with some tasty tablets being released, too. While the new iPad is undoubtedly a great piece of technology, Google's offered up some features that can be hard to pass up. The Apple design is nice and simple but rigid — there's not much you can change. Google, on the other hand, gives you the power to make your Android phone or tablet really your own. Let us show you just how personalized your super-slim phone can be and just how easy one of that galaxy of tablets is to use.

ir-300-chrome-for-android-300w.jpg

1. Take your internet with you.

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you'll be thrilled to know that both of those browsers are available on Ice Cream Sandwich. Signing in on either browser on your phone or tablet will sync up your bookmarks, search history, and even your usernames and passwords. You'll feel right at home with everything you just had on your desktop. The mobile browsers even let you view the tabs you have open on your computer. If you start reading an article and have to step away from your machine, you can pick up right where you left off, without having to add it to any special reading list.

2. Just plug and play.
It's easy to get files on and off an Android device. You don't need any special software; just plug in to a computer, and you're good to go. You can easily grab all of your pictures and videos or even back up your apps. Add videos easily without converting them to a special format — just copy them on and play.

3. Skip the security passwords.
Why remember another password or special gesture when you can have your phone remember and recognize you instead? With Face Unlock, your Android Ice Cream Sandwich device's front-facing camera will recognize you and unlock itself. Machines are supposed to make our lives easier, so shouldn't we let them do the work for us?

ir-300-android-ice-cream-sandwich-widgets-300w.jpg

4. Customize to your heart's content.

With Android, you can add widgets to your home screen allowing you to control your music and check your email, calendar, or the weather at a glance. Using Ice Cream Sandwich, as with Android 3.0 Honeycomb, you can resize those widgets, so you can decide whether you want to see more information or to save space.

Your home screen is easy to customize — no need to keep each and every app you've downloaded on it. Keep them nice and tidy in the app drawer, or arrange them in folders. If you want to, you can replace the entire home screen by using a new launcher. Even your lock screen gives you options — you can check all of your notifications without unlocking your device.

5. Say what you want with just a swipe.
Typing on the go can be much easier with customized keyboards. When you're standing in line and holding your phone in one hand, SwiftKey X Keyboard (download Swiftkey X Keyboard) guesses what you're trying to type and suggests the next word for you. With Swype, you don't even have to type — just slide from one letter to the next. There are plenty of other keyboards, so you can find the one that's just right for you. And it's not all fancy keyboard tricks, either. If you prefer arrow keys or easier access to punctuation, you can find a keyboard that does that.

6. Navigate the streets with ease.
The Google Maps app for Android includes Navigation — voice-guided, real-time, turn-by-turn directions based on your current location. With the Google Maps app on your Android device, you no longer need a separate GPS unit for your car — a potential savings of up to hundreds of dollars. A few taps, and your phone will lead you right where you need to go.

7. Tap to share information with NFC.
With NFC, a chip that lets you send information with a tap, you can share contacts, videos, or web pages between phones via a feature called Android Beam. If you sign up for Google Wallet, you can even leave your credit cards behind and pay for groceries with a swipe of your phone. While it's not available everywhere yet, NFC is primed to be one of the next big things.

Read more at 7 things Android Ice Cream Sandwich can do that iPhones and iPads can't | Tecca

snickersmom

Mar 1, 2012
Sounds good but------last night I had a chat agent from Belkin router help me to set up so that I could use my Kyros tablet. More than half way thru, NO router or internet connection. That means our chat session was terminated.
I wasn't a "happy camper", took at least a half hour to get back on the internet BUT STILL NO router. I guess it dies, what does one expect when buying a cheapy router?
Is there a way I can connect my tablet to the netbook, using the Ethinal cable leaving hooked up as is?
May someone can email me at: [email protected]----thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sounds good but------last night I had a chat agent from Belkin router help me to set up so that I could use my Kyros tablet. More than half way thru, NO router or internet connection. That means our chat session was terminated.
I wasn't a "happy camper", took at least a half hour to get back on the internet BUT STILL NO router. I guess it dies, what does one expect when buying a cheapy router?
Is there a way I can connect my tablet to the netbook, using the Ethinal cable leaving hooked up as is?
May someone can email me at: [email protected]----thanks

Check the link below for ways to connect without an available WiFi router. It includes some info on using a portable router to connect to your wired network.

mikearnill

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah !! This are the things which I like most, I am kind of addictive to it and I guess this all stuffs makes it different. The cool thing about Ice cream sandwich is that it is damn simple to use and one can handle their stuffs very easily.

srishtimehta

Aug 31, 2012
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hii Ian, thanks for the post. Yeah, Android Ice Cream Sandwitch is very simple and beautiful smartphone. There are many fantastic features like Multitasking, (Face Unlock) unlocking our phone with our face, Respond to calls with a text, etc.[/FONT]

shashankjha

Nov 11, 2013
in the previous versions of android there was a field for birthdays and anniversary... how ever android 4.2.1 this is missing... it is an important thing ... and should be there...
is there a way to add birthday to a phone contact?
is there a update planned to be released to incorporate this feature?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi shashankjha, congratulations on your Micromax tablet and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. Many address books have extra fields for notes, multiple email addresses etc. If yours does, just use one of those as a birthday field.