7012 Internal Storage

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Got exhausted reading on other things and figured I would just play with my tablet but now I have another quesiton

When going into settings, Applications, Manage applications and the Downloaded is highlighted it says at the bottom I only have about 260MB of internal storage.

I thought this thing had 4G of storage and 256MB ram

When I go to the Running tab it says I have 106MB or ram

Little confused on ho these things operate.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
These are the "free" numbers, right?

RAM
Android OS reserves some RAM for the system during boot, so the amount of RAM available for user apps is always less. For instance, my MID1024 has 512MB, but the available RAM for apps after system boot is around 360MB, from which some is used by system and other apps, resulting in about 190MB free after a fresh boot.

Internal storage
It is shared between: system partition (i.e. Android OS, only for NAND-only or SD-only devices), cache, data (shown as Internal Storage in system, where the user installed apps are) and user space (sometimes shown as NAND even if it has nothing to do with real NAND) where your documents (music, pics, etc) are stored. So never get all space for user files, and that's why you can add an external SD. ;)

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Ok not 100% clear but sort of :0

I am currently tring to install TouchyBooks which I can but when I go to purchase books it tells me my Market is out of Date. I have went to Android Market and there it tells me my device is not supported.

Reading all the stuff on the web can not seem to find were I can get my device to show up in the setting of Market.

This is crazy stuff got the market place but it would appear not all apps will let me have them :( This is the best app for kids and will be so bumed out if I cannt get it to work.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
It's a completely different issue...

Probably your device won't show up in Market via browser, because its vendor doesn't have an agreement with Google to install Market. But it doesn't prevent it to work if installed manually (they want to sell stuff after all). If you use Market on your tablet and some programs are marked as non-compatible, you can do this:
- change LCD density (look for apps that do this) to 160. Works with newer Market versions (3.x).
- change your tablet's model fingerprint. It's a bit more complicated, needs root and editing a text file manually.

Some apps are also "location locked", they can only be installed if your device reports a cell carrier from a certain country (I know, tablets don't have this, but it's normally faked in the system settings).

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Okay if you can give me more information on that second option so I can search and read would be appreciated.

The strange thing with the TouchyBooks is it lets me install the primary app with no problems and I can run it but it comes up with the msg saying that the market is out of date and I can not purchase books :(

Will continue to work on this I just purchased a little critter book to make sure that I am indeed set up and it work woot woot not all lost.

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
You ever do anything like that?

Pretty crazy stuff but very interesting indeed.

Thanks for your help :)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Yes, my CFW for MID1024 has a Galaxy Tab 7" fingerprint. They both have the same CPU/GPU, and it makes Market show a lot of more apps.

bjy20716

Nov 7, 2011
Got exhausted reading on other things and figured I would just play with my tablet but now I have another quesiton

When going into settings, Applications, Manage applications and the Downloaded is highlighted it says at the bottom I only have about 260MB of internal storage.

I thought this thing had 4G of storage and 256MB ram

When I go to the Running tab it says I have 106MB or ram

Little confused on ho these things operate.

It does have 4GIG.

250Meg For Apps
750Meg for the OS
3GIG of NAND Storage. It acts like an SDCard so you can use App2SD to copy apps over to it. If you root you can move most of your apps to the NAND with DroidSail.

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
very good information from both of you

will be doing some more reading :)

guess will look for a fingerprint that is similar to the 7012 if there is one Any suggestions

will look into moving apps this thing fulls up fast

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

Silverrayne

Dec 12, 2011
It does have 4GIG.

250Meg For Apps
750Meg for the OS
3GIG of NAND Storage. It acts like an SDCard so you can use App2SD to copy apps over to it. If you root you can move most of your apps to the NAND with DroidSail.

I have come to understand this, but my question is this.... If I install an actual SD card, How do I copy apps over to it? Seems that it only wants to move everything to the NAND Storage.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have come to understand this, but my question is this.... If I install an actual SD card, How do I copy apps over to it? Seems that it only wants to move everything to the NAND Storage.

You're right, you can't move apps to the external microSD, unless you use something like Link2SD (it may require rooting and partitioning the card).