7022 Battery Usage per Coby and more Info from them.

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
I called Coby 10 minutes ago and inquired about battery only last maybe 4 hours under light to moderate usage as well as 'Cell Standby' under battery history. The girl told me that the battery for the 7022 will only last 3-4 hours under light to moderate use and possibly 2 hours or less under heavy use. She said this is normal/expected. She said cell standy was normal process that runs and could be killed under manage applications but I'm not able to see it running from there. I'm testing out the airplane mode off with wifi on to see if it helps but too early to report on that.

I also asked if coby would be having updates for 7022 to fix bugs and what not. She said coby was currently working on obtaining Flash licensing and they were also working on android 3 (honeycomb) for the tablets and a method of possibly 'push' updating the tables. Whether this is a bunch of fluff only time will tell but it does sound promising.

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
If you search this forum, there is a fix for the cell standby issue. But you must be rooted. That stuff about honeycomb sounds great. Did they say anything about when that might happen?

Sent from my 7022

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
I had already searched the forum and read about rooting and deleting/renaming apk for phone and other in order to resolve the cell stanby issue. Honestly the information was very vague and defintitely not clear if battery life really increased or not. I'm not rooted (I'd rather not but will if I must). From the info I read.... I'm trying the method of the 'quick settings' app of turning on airplane mode AND enabling wifi. Will report back but probably take a few days for results. If there is another fix you are referring to please let me know.

Coby did not say when honeycomb would happen but by the conversation I definitely took away that they were actively working on it. I'm sure this is huge for them especially say for a new version tablet next year. My feeling on their comment about a 'push' to current tablets is that is fluff. Not going to happen. I don't see how it is currently possible and I'm sure users would at minimum have to download and update from coby and apply through sd card as people do for 7015 now. Hopefully coby continues to use the 7022 architecture and even if they release a newer model with 3.0 and not for older models most likely people on here or xda will figure something out.

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Oh. I can not believe i forgot to mention they said there is a new app market on their site called GetJar. I downloaded it and it appears ok but still not the full market.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the info. I got the getjar thing from their website and it is pretty nice, I like the free paid apps. In fact, I am writing to you from the tapatalk app that I got from there. Honeycomb would be cool, but it is true the current devices are a little underpowered for it. A new line would be great.

Sent from my 7022

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Would be a waste to focus on honeycomb with ice cream sandwich being release in a month or so. What they should be working on is releasing the firmware for the 7022 so developers can customize and do what they want with the tablet including honeycomb, ICS, etc

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for the info. I got the getjar thing from their website and it is pretty nice, I like the free paid apps. In fact, I am writing to you from the tapatalk app that I got from there. Honeycomb would be cool, but it is true the current devices are a little underpowered for it. A new line would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my 7022

I tried tapatalk and like it. Nice find.

As far as them going to ICS -- what nba said.... This is great idea but just not realistic. It will probably take year or more until you see it on entry knock off devices.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Yeah you guys are probably right. Has anybody tried asking coby when the firmware will be released? There are some really smart people in this forum who im sure could do a lot with it.

Sent from my 7022

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
If it's possible to install ClockWorkMod, then you can backup your current firmware or even use a backup from someone else AFAIK. Did you check the thread about CWM?

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I have cwm installed. I will see if I can find a stock backup. If I do does that mean that poeple can start building ics or honeycomb roms for our tablets? How does that work?

Sent from my 7022

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have cwm installed. I will see if I can find a stock backup. If I do does that mean that poeple can start building ics or honeycomb roms for our tablets? How does that work?

A backup is just a way to restore the original firmware AFAIK.

To develop a new firmware, you may go one of these paths:
1. Get the source code (AOS - Android Open Source) and compile everything to match your hardware (very complicated). I think Honeycomb sources weren't released, it's yet to be seen about ICS.
2. "Cook" a ROM using another one for a similar hardware, adding patches to fix the problems with your actual device (much easier and what's normally done: CFW - custom firmware).

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the clarification. Is there any roms in progress that we should know about.

Sent from my 7022

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think I've seen a CyanogenMOD version for 7022 somewhere... I downloaded the file for research purposes, but I don't know if there is an active thread here or elsewhere about its development... File was named "KYROS7022-8K-cyanogen-signed.zip".

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Yes, I am aware of the cm rom. It was put together by fun. I have tried it out and it is very nice, except there is no camera support or hardware accelerated video. Thanks for the info though:)

Sent from my 7022

afonsolage

Oct 27, 2011
I think I've seen a CyanogenMOD version for 7022 somewhere... I downloaded the file for research purposes, but I don't know if there is an active thread here or elsewhere about its development... File was named "KYROS7022-8K-cyanogen-signed.zip".

Yep, it has an active thread and i'm loving much this room. My tablet is working 300x better now. But I have to live with those issues:

No bluetooth (my tablet hasnt it :) )
No GPS (my tablet hasnt it :) )
No Camera (my camera sucks )
No Hardware Acceleration Video (owch! that hurts! :( )

Well, but its an experimental rom, so if you don't have skills do leave from trouble with out help, better dont install it now.

OBS.: Aboout battery life, after removing some system apks, my tablet can be used for 5 ~ 6 hours of hard play and more then 12 hours of stand-by :D

Best regards,

Afonso Lage.