7024 blip - low memory, won't read SD, and won't reset

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
Last night I was reading an ebook on my 7024 and then went to the browser to read about the Steve Jobs news. The tablet froze (for the first time ever) and blanked out. I turned it off and back on. What came back was nearly out of the box (old wallpaper, apps I added gone, but the market APK pack I got from here was still there). The low memory notification was up, and I couldn't access stuff on my SD card, though the settings area noted it was inserted and we were USB device mode.

I reset the tablet, same thing. Killed all my apps, have 7GB of free space on the SD card. All the info is still on it, it's just not talking. I can't even try a firmware update because I have to access it from the SD card ... and I don't even know if that would solve it.

This is the first time this thing has acted up and all I was doing at the time was reading an ebook and then decided to open the browser.

Update:
Problem still exists, but called Coby, told them what's up, and they didn't even question me, just asked for my email to send me the exchange forms, and that's that. Must be a common enough issue. :-\ I've seen the issue crop up on these forums, but never saw the resolution posted.

The crappy part, however, is that I have to pay shipping both ways. Amazon doesn't pull that stuff.

Last edited:

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
try reinstalling the stock firmware, to do that just press power button + home key (round metal button) when the text system recovery (something like that) appears on screen release the buttons, wait a min and it will tell you that it didn't found a recovery image, then press volume up key and it will reinstall the stock firmware, this will erase partitions and everything, so you should be ok after that.

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
Nope, still out of the box but with the low memory stuff. :-( And I keep trying to download the firmware from Coby, but it keeps getting interrupted.

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
Nope, still out of the box but with the low memory stuff. :-( And I keep trying to download the firmware from Coby, but it keeps getting interrupted.

try this rom pal http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17126237/coby/evo-3.1.1_mid7024_mod-1.zip it is based on gingerbread, it's faster, snappier, smoother and has a way way better battery life than froyo's coby firmware.

oops i did miss the part where you said it doesn't even read the sd card, have you checked the sd for errors? i had this kinda problem with my tablet a while back and it was because it had file system errors, run a chkdsk on it in windows or backup the data and format it.

Last edited:

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
Tried reformatting. Still the same thing. Low memory. In settings, the device recognizes that I do have an SD card in, but if I use file explorer, or try to go to the SD disk through an app, it tells me it's unmounted.

I haven't rooted this thing, because I was able to get Market working on here without doing so (another thread on here).

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I don't want to give you bad news, but I got a brand-new MID1024 that had the same problem: it froze once and after I reset it, it came up as brand new, I've lost all my settings. It would work for a while if I erased it and restored the original firmware, but then would eventually lose all my settings again. After trying many things, it bricked when I tried to flash a firmware and it froze again, so I returned the unit. The new one never did this, so my guess is that the first one had a hardware problem, that's why it bricked when I tried to flash it.

Last edited:

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
I bought it a couple of months ago off Amazon, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to return it and swap out. :-( I guess I'll have to try calling Coby's support (they only seem to have phone support).

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
I bought it a couple of months ago off Amazon, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to return it and swap out. :-( I guess I'll have to try calling Coby's support (they only seem to have phone support).

Most of the time you have a 1 year warranty with amazon and a 3 year warranty directly with the manufacturer, so you better email them and ask for a rma.

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
No go. My return window expired Sept. 3 (I bought it July 29). It was through DependableResources, but it was Prime Eligible, so I guess I don't get the easy Amazon return/exchange. I found an email for Coby customer care, but I'm sure I'll get the run around.

If it's hardware, then rooting won't do me any good, I assume. I've tried the firmware again, but I'm worried now I'm partitioning off my internal memory too much.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
No go. My return window expired Sept. 3 (I bought it July 29). It was through DependableResources, but it was Prime Eligible, so I guess I don't get the easy Amazon return/exchange. I found an email for Coby customer care, but I'm sure I'll get the run around.

If it's hardware, then rooting won't do me any good, I assume. I've tried the firmware again, but I'm worried now I'm partitioning off my internal memory too much.

The internal sd card may be damage..well lets just say time to replace the intenal 4gb microsd card with a 8gb or 16gb card...

emilikins

Oct 6, 2011
How do you replace an internal SD card? I have no computer fixing tools or experience. Clean ups, back ups, restores, no problem. ES File Explorer is crashing on me now, too, and I can't see into the internal card from my computer anymore, just the external, so I can't even try to clean up gunk from the side.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
My advice: first thing to try is restore the original firmware for your tablet, it can be downloaded from Coby's website with instructions about how to use it. You just need a known good microSD in the external slot, even an small capacity one will work.

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
My advice: first thing to try is restore the original firmware for your tablet, it can be downloaded from Coby's website with instructions about how to use it. You just need a known good microSD in the external slot, even an small capacity one will work.

^ This, I use a 512 microSD to do my flashes, so if you don't have a spare SD at the moment you can buy a 512 one for like 2 dlls.

rain

May 5, 2011
i have read many time s that there is a right way ( tool ) and then a wrong way ( tool ) to format the MicroHCsd cards. was i reading a bunch of balone or is there something to that ?

"SDFormatterv3.0.zip" ? ? ?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
In order to use it with a Kyros tablet, the SD must be formatted in FAT32. Also, it's a good idea to do a full format in order to erase all data actually and test the card. What you use to accomplish this isn't a problem AFAIK.