7024 digitizer touchscreen replacement

glb72

Jul 8, 2011
I purchased a 7024 for my wife, she WAS very happy with it until the screen cracked. The good news is that the lcd is in good shape and the unit still functions. With no hopes of using this in an application without a digitizer, I realized it was time to perform surgery.

I started by prying open the case at the slot next to the camera/ mic with a flathead. once it started to open i slid my fingernail down the sides. I then moved to the top slot (left of volume buttons). If you remove just watch for flexing on the front panel and lcd and only pry at a point where the case is almost closed. Do not pull from an edge or side that is already opened (hope that makes sense.

One opened I removed the screws and connector shown below. There is one screw not shown it is under black tape and circled below

$diss points.jpg

Once I had the screws removed I was able to get my fingers behind the board/lcd and push the touchscreen out of the case. It comes out from the front its held in with lightweight adhesive and tape. I did not have to warm it before removing it.

You may be able to remove the touchscreen without taking the screws out but I did not know how it was connected until I took it apart.

Now the problem

$IMG_20110708_080106.jpg

$IMG_20110708_080118.jpg

The screen measures 165.5mm x 97mm
the plastic cover over the digitizer and front faceplate measure 167.5mm x 98mm

This is an odd size. I am still looking online to find a replacement. I could modify the case to allow the ribbon to enter the case on the side if needed (fold cable over and cut the case)

So for my questions.

Are the ribbon cables a standard size (connector width)?
I assume there is one input and 3 outputs on the digitizer cable, How do I find out with a a broken screen?

The closest sized replacement is 165mm x 97mm form here
7 inch 163mm*97mm LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Lens [1703] - US$29.28 : KeepingTouch.com
Anyone used them before. They are in china.

Enough of my rambling hopefully the pics will help others

wbsjr99

Sep 30, 2011
My ribbon cable on my 8024 was and came out, can't seem to reinsert ribbon into connector.
Does the connector open up for proper ribbon placement?
Curious, since you have replaced the screen in yours if you had the same problem.
Thanks.,wbsjr99

I purchased a 7024 for my wife, she WAS very happy with it until the screen cracked. The good news is that the lcd is in good shape and the unit still functions. With no hopes of using this in an application without a digitizer, I realized it was time to perform surgery.

I started by prying open the case at the slot next to the camera/ mic with a flathead. once it started to open i slid my fingernail down the sides. I then moved to the top slot (left of volume buttons). If you remove just watch for flexing on the front panel and lcd and only pry at a point where the case is almost closed. Do not pull from an edge or side that is already opened (hope that makes sense.

One opened I removed the screws and connector shown below. There is one screw not shown it is under black tape and circled below

View attachment 3141

Once I had the screws removed I was able to get my fingers behind the board/lcd and push the touchscreen out of the case. It comes out from the front its held in with lightweight adhesive and tape. I did not have to warm it before removing it.

You may be able to remove the touchscreen without taking the screws out but I did not know how it was connected until I took it apart.

Now the problem

View attachment 3142

View attachment 3143

The screen measures 165.5mm x 97mm
the plastic cover over the digitizer and front faceplate measure 167.5mm x 98mm

This is an odd size. I am still looking online to find a replacement. I could modify the case to allow the ribbon to enter the case on the side if needed (fold cable over and cut the case)

So for my questions.

Are the ribbon cables a standard size (connector width)?
I assume there is one input and 3 outputs on the digitizer cable, How do I find out with a a broken screen?

The closest sized replacement is 165mm x 97mm form here
7 inch 163mm*97mm LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Lens [1703] - US$29.28 : KeepingTouch.com
Anyone used them before. They are in china.

Enough of my rambling hopefully the pics will help others

bethychap

Oct 12, 2011
Did you ever find a replacement touch screen for your wife's tablter. I just did the same thing to mine and I am not having any luck

dog

Dec 3, 2011
@gib72... Any update on the digitizer, I am curious if you tried the replacement from KeepingTouch.com?

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
Having the same problem here. Couldn't find any supplier for tablet touchscreens, but I found at local eBay (I'm in Brazil) LOTS of touches for 7" GPS. There are many models, with different flex positioning. One of them is just like the Kyros', but I think the flex is shorter, judging by it's picture. Certainly some modding over the flex will be needed, but it´s not the end of the world, can be done with patience. The size is always the same, 162 x 97mm. A little shorter than the original (glb72 measured 165.5 x 97mm), but still enough to cover all the active area of the screen (about 155.5 x 87mm). Mine hasn´t arrived yet, but I´m quite sure it´ll work. I´ll post the results as soon as I can. If all goes well, maybe this is the workaround - GPS touchscreen.

EDIT:

Ok, replaced and flying. The touchscreen worked allright, but it is pretty less sensitive than the original one. You MUST use your fingernails or the stylus. Also, the glass is a bit thicker than it should be, so I wasn't able to perfectly close the unit, but when inside its leather case, it's not a big problem . The external plastic layer is strongly glued to the original touchscreen, it took me some couple of hours bathing it with gasoline to remove every trace of that glue. And I couldn't place it back, for it would float above the touchscreen and not work well. So, I used a protective skin over the touchscreen directly and that's all. Bottomline: The GPS touchscreen replacement works, not as well as the original part, but I think it's a better alternative than throwin the Kyros away. It's an "excuse" to justify buying a new tablet, of course, but my Kyros is functional, not trash anymore. And maybe one can find a GPS touchscreen that is a closer match than the one I found and not have all those issues.

Last edited:

BadBunny

Jan 21, 2012
I broke the digitizer on my Coby Kyros MID7012 a few days ago, and I'm trying to find a replacement digitizer for it. Does anyone have the specs for the digitizer so I can tell type to look for, and how do I attach it to my touchscreen once I've got it? I assume some type of adhesive, but I don't want to mess this up. :)

Any help would be appreciated, since Coby USA is not responding to my e-mails!

LATE-BREAKING INFORMATION: I found a 165x97mm digitizer on ebay. Here's the URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Tactile-Size-165-97-mm-/190626006142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6232047e#ht_2820wt_954

I
s it worth a try?

Last edited:

dabone

May 11, 2011
Cable is in the wrong place for my 7024 and the price is a bit steep.

I've sent one of the sellers the dimension and photos for a 7024 digitizer and hope to hear back next month. (New year break for them)

Later,
dabone

dog

Dec 3, 2011
I purchased a Digitizer from keepintouch.com...BUT I had the same problem as the others who have posted here. The new touch screens seem to be much less sensitive than the original. Mine had very (very,very) thin glass. It just broke :( ....The fit was just fine and the ribbon cable was on the bottom middle closer to the right side, so it was not an exact fit however, with a lighter and a sharp HOT knife I cut (melted) a slot for the new ribbon to go through the top cover. Even though it worked I would not recommend there screen as it required my whole finger tip and was delayed in registering touch. Coby says you can mail your tablet to them and its like $45 U.S.D. for the repair, you have to provide return shipping too... Guess I'm going to have to break down and send it in...too bad I have enjoyed working on the tablet. If any one gets any better info please share.

FocusBoxHero

Feb 8, 2012
I am Having the Very Same Problem. My Touchscreen on MID7024 - 4gb Split when I put my knee on it. Since Ive Spoken with Coby Support. They do NOT repair, and only replace with valid warranty.

I've managed to Find the Manufacture Of the ORIGINAL screen. Is an Orient Company. Viewing the page, I've a feeling they will not ship a Single Item.

If we could Connect a Retailer with the Manufacture.

dog

Dec 3, 2011
Focusbox who is the manufacture? Could you post the webpage? Odd enough a lot of Chinese and far east manufactures are shipping one piece purchases

dabone

May 11, 2011
I bought this screen.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Replacement touch screen for 7" Apad Epad MID Tablet PC 162mm x 96mm New

The cable is in the wrong place, and the wrong pinout. I had to make a adapter cable flipping the outer and inner wires. (X/Y were inverted.)
It's a very responsive screen, but a little small. I ordered a screen protector to cut to size and I'm going to try securing the screen and filling in the void with silicone, then covering with the trimmed screen protector. When I'm done I'll post pics, right now the screen is held in with regular tape.

Later,
dabone

Mar 15, 2012
Can someone help me with a replacement scree for Coby MID7022? It is a capacitive touchscreen and I dropped the device on the floor pretty hard and the touch screen stopped working..

HiRez_l

Jan 19, 2012
I broke the digitizer on my Coby Kyros MID7012 4G, When I disassembled, I found this part number on the LCD: Innolux AT070TN90, found the correct replacement digitizer for it on Alibaba, here: http://www.***************/product-...0TN94-touch-screen-digitizer-wholesalers.html , $15 w/ free shipping. I'm ordering it to replace my cracked digitizer, will let you know how it turns out. ANy hints on the best way to remove the digitizer from the LCD? I saw an earlier poster say he used gasoline, sounds like an extreme method to me.

HiRez_l

Jan 19, 2012
So, I got my replacement digitizer, but I can't figure out how to get the broken one off the LCD. Any hints?