7024 or 8024

MelGrubb

May 17, 2011
The 8024s have popped back up on Amazon, and I'm trying to decide whether to get one, or to save a little money and get the 7024. Since the xx24s are running Android 2.2, I gather that the 4x3 screen of the 8024 is "non-standard" and might cause some problems with certain programs, mostly games. Now that more tablet form-factor devices are coming out, though, I figure developers will be forced to start caring about the screen size more, so I'm not terribly concerned. Plus, games are not going to be my primary use for the device, anyway.

I want to use it as a reader, and as a media player. I don't imagine the reader functionality will be affected by the screen size, apart from me being able to fit more on the screen at once. What about watching movies, though? Will the built-in media player properly letterbox things, or is it going to stretch and distort everything?

PartsMan

Apr 11, 2011
The 7024 might be the better reader because of it's size. It is the same size as a Nook.
I don't think the 8024 will be as easy to hold one handed.

I can't tell you about the app function.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
Mel I had that same exact question. Because I want to use it mostly for JPEG, AVI, MP3 and light browsing I picked the 8" 8024. Should get it today if UPS tracking is correct. I will review it 'right out of the box' as a PMP. I want to take this on outings and be able to stick in my camera card and/or camcorder card and see picts and video on the 8" screen. (don't care much about games at this point)

I did wounder about getting a case for it but it is about 1" smaller each way then ipad so I assume I will be able to find a case even if the case is a little big.

Cozz

May 30, 2011
I bought the 8024. I had a 7" a while back and while for ebook reading was fine but net surfing even on forums was just too small. typing works well just like the 7". Ive tried many games on it and have had no problems yet. In fact better just because of more screen size.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I just got the 8024 as well. I wanted a PMP that I could stick my cannon camera card in and see picts at 8". Well I am working on it. If I put the picts in a pictures folder on the micro SD card I can't use the picture gallery to swipe to the next pict but I can see them one at a time. Seems jpegs in the root directory of the micro SD are OK and the Coby built in mem is OK. Also the color is not right on the AVI files from my Cannon SD790IS??? However I have only tried the stock viewers on the 8024. MOV (quicktime) files play very good. My Cannon HD camcorder (HF20) saves 1080p files as MTS and they play if I rename them MPG HOWEVER the quality is not great...lots of jagged edges. Sound is OK on all 3 video types I tried. My goal is to find an app that plays them without converting...we will see. I am surprised that AVI did not display color correctly???

Browser works but needs FLASH...I downloaded it but need to figure out the best way to install. I assume from the micro SD card. I installed 'Tom Cat' for my 2yr old granddaughter and we had a great time with it...also KidPaint. Once I get FLASH working I will go back to tring some Media Players.

So far the 8024 has been fun to use....I assume it will just get better from here as I am a noob with Android.

Last edited:

wwjd4kulit

Jun 3, 2011
I just got the 8024 as well. I wanted a PMP that I could stick my cannon camera card in and see picts at 8". Well I am working on it. If I put the picts in a pictures folder on the micro SD card I can't use the picture gallery to swipe to the next pict but I can see them one at a time. Seems jpegs in the root directory of the micro SD are OK and the Coby built in mem is OK. Also the color is not right on the AVI files from my Cannon SD790IS??? However I have only tried the stock viewers on the 8024. MOV (quicktime) files play very good. My Cannon HD camcorder (HF20) saves 1080p files as MTS and they play if I rename them MPG HOWEVER the quality is not great...lots of jagged edges. Sound is OK on all 3 video types I tried. My goal is to find an app that plays them without converting...we will see. I am surprised that AVI did not display color correctly???

Browser works but needs FLASH...I downloaded it but need to figure out the best way to install. I assume from the micro SD card. I installed 'Tom Cat' for my 2yr old granddaughter and we had a great time with it...also KidPaint. Once I get FLASH working I will go back to tring some Media Players.

So far the 8024 has been fun to use....I assume it will just get better from here as I am a noob with Android.

hi ray, im still waiting for my 8024 to be shipped coming from UPS. so what was the first thing you did after unboxing it? did you charged it overnight and then turned it on, or turned it on first time just to see if it works and the you charged it overnight? im just curious because i see lots of negative comments about it that it wont open after the coby logo? they said they have charged it for maybe for 15 hours but wont open as well. did you experience bugs/problems with your 8024 lately? thanks.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
wwjd congrats on you purchase! I opened up the 8024 plugged it into the charger and turned it on while charging. I then played around with connecting wifi and looked at the sample picts, listen to the sample music and watch the sample video all while it charged.

It seems to me that turning it on is a little tricky. If you push the ON to quickly it does not turn on and it seemed that if I pushed the ON for several seconds it does not turn on...but a 1-2 sec push always works, and I see the COBY start up in a couple seconds...then android....then home screen. Not sure how the sleep mode works but if the screen blanks pushing the silver home button wakes it up again.

I am an Android noob and have never even see how an android phone works BUT so far the 8024 seems to be working fine and has a lot of potential. Now to get it working on my work's heavily protected sub-net....

wwjd4kulit

Jun 3, 2011
wwjd congrats on you purchase! I opened up the 8024 plugged it into the charger and turned it on while charging. I then played around with connecting wifi and looked at the sample picts, listen to the sample music and watch the sample video all while it charged.

It seems to me that turning it on is a little tricky. If you push the ON to quickly it does not turn on and it seemed that if I pushed the ON for several seconds it does not turn on...but a 1-2 sec push always works, and I see the COBY start up in a couple seconds...then android....then home screen. Not sure how the sleep mode works but if the screen blanks pushing the silver home button wakes it up again.

I am an Android noob and have never even see how an android phone works BUT so far the 8024 seems to be working fine and has a lot of potential. Now to get it working on my work's heavily protected sub-net....

thanks for the reply ray, couldnt wait to get my hands on it. the last time i tracked it on UPS i see that its on its way.. :) i will give you and feedback also when i get to open and play with it for some time.. this is also my first tablet thats why im getting lots of infos to people as soon as i get it, just to be sure with it. thanks again..:eek:

colnago

May 18, 2011

Ray50,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by your statement, "figure out the best way to install"? Are you saying that you need to figure out where to store the .apk file? I have Flash 10.3 running, but I have no clue where the system stored the .apk file. I was able to get the Android Market working, so I just went there and told it to download Flash (I don't remember if it automatically installed, or if I had to install it after the download).

Thanks

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
colnago - I have the stock 'out of the box' apps only. I did not see Flash 10.3 on the appslib market included on the 8024. (did I miss it??) I down loaded it to my PC and have it there. I assume I can put it on a micro card, put the card in the 8024, find the file and install it. If so that will be 'the best way to install' flash and any other .apk I down load from the web to my PC. Oh I guess I could of used the 8024 browser and down loaded directly to the table but I downloaded Flash before my tablet arrived. (I will check appslib again, if it is there of course you just download and install.)

GoldPimp

May 26, 2011
colnago - I have the stock 'out of the box' apps only. I did not see Flash 10.3 on the appslib market included on the 8024. (did I miss it??) I down loaded it to my PC and have it there. I assume I can put it on a micro card, put the card in the 8024, find the file and install it. If so that will be 'the best way to install' flash and any other .apk I down load from the web to my PC. Oh I guess I could of used the 8024 browser and down loaded directly to the table but I downloaded Flash before my tablet arrived. (I will check appslib again, if it is there of course you just download and install.)

If you go to the adobe flash site through your tablet browser it will have links for you to download and update your flash player if it is not current.

colnago

May 18, 2011
Ray50,

Another odd-ball question, from your last post. You mentioned copying the file to your SD card, then installing it into your Coby. If I try doing this, my 7024 won't see the files. I have to insert the SD card in the Coby, then hook up the Coby to my PC via the USB cable, then copy the files across. I can specify to copy the files to the external SD card, but if I don't copy them over the USB cable, the Coby will not see them. I also noticed the other day that if I'm plugged into the USB cable, the Coby will not update what it can see on the SD card; I _have_ to unplug before the Coby can refresh its brains about what's on the card. Am I doing something wrong with the SD card, or does all of this sound normal?

By the way, I don't think Flash is in AppsLib. I had to get it off the Android Market, and I could only do that after getting the Android Market app from somewhere else (I think www.droid-life.com, but I don't remember for sure). But that was last month; things are changing so fast, and a month is forever in the life of these electronic doo-dads.

To get back on topic, I currently have the 7024. I find it easy to hold, as far as being an e-book reader. I too am thinking about getting the 8024, just to give me a wider page for reading. The price difference isn't much, going from 7" to 8". My biggest concern is that 8" is kind of an odd size (everyone is either making a 7" tab or a 10" tab), so finding a case might be a bit of a problem. Are you just using the stock sleeve that came with the 8024?

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
GoldPimp - Thanks I will check.

Darkmo - Thanks, I think that is were I did get it...good android site.

colnago - I put a few different file types (JPEG, AVI, MOV and MPG) on a 4gig micro SD card using my Win 7 desktop. I put the card in the Coby then booted the Coby. All my files were in a folder called extsd. (I forget if I had to mount the micro sd card....I did dismount it to take it out)

Also the 8024 is about 1" smaller both ways then an ipad. I am going to stop at Best Buy after work and see what they have. The soft sleeve it came with is OK for now BUT I want something better. Maybe an ipad case will work even if it is a little too big.