7042 - Cant see files on MicroSD card

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
I cant see any files I put on my SD card when using a file manager (I tried 4 different managers)
Was trying to install the flash pkg, placed the file on the card with my computer, moved the card to my tablet and nothing is there

I also have ebooks on there and the ereader app cant see them, I put a jpg on there just to test and it doesnt see it either

funny thing is all the directories on the card are visible, I can see the ebooks directory I created but once I go in it says it empty (even though its not)
the gallery sees the picture file

Does anyone know whats going on?
I have a 7042-4 with ICS 4.0.3

this person has the exact same problem except he has a galaxy s, and is using ics
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705404
so im guessing its a ics problem

maybe have to wait for a root

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
I had read this before somewhere. My 7042 is the same. If I open the gallery, the pictures on mt SD come up and if I open the music player, the song are there as well. How did someone on here root their tab? I have also read a few reviews where the person said they loaded Amazon and 1mobil appstores on the 7042...how the #@&& do you do that? Obviously I am totally new to this tablet thing.

Never mind, I figured it out the Amazon/1Mobile thing....I am sloooow.
Does the rooting process on another thread here work for the 7042?

Last edited:

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
made a little progress

in the included ereader app, you can change directories to higher then sd card
there is 2 directories for sd cards
-extsd
-sdcard
all the files are on the sd card are located in "extsd", however all file manager are stuck in "sdcard" directory, I tried changing the diretcory in the setting but just says no directory exists
"sdcard" is the tablets built in flash memory
"extcard" is the microsd card

I think we need root access to properly explore it...

for the time being a temp work around is just put the pkg files on the device its self with a usb cable, I can see everything and installed a few apks fine

Last edited:

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
hold the favorites button in es file explorer
you will go up to the root directory

from there go into the folder called "mmt"
then "extsd"
your files will be in there, and you can execute them, you will not be able to delete, move, or edit them without root though

gmila84

May 17, 2012
can anyone give a good reason of why they are essentially calling the hard drive the sdcard... and the sdcard extsd?

Man, you're a monster, in a good way! I do not understand it as well!

Everytime you whould move an app, the system move to this ****ty SDCard but not to the real microsd one. It's tottally a crap. Coby people does not answear me.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
its because of ICS, not Coby
I heard Honycomb started this trend also

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Joe is right, Honeycomb started calling the internal storage /mnt/sdcard/. The external is mounted in different places depending on the OEM of the tablet. Acer, Asus, Samsung, Motorola, Coby, etc. all mount them in a different folder (and not all are even in the /mnt/ directory!)

Basically, the reason it is the /mnt/sdcard/ is the same reason gorillas have big fingers:
Because that is just the way it is!

Moved to Coby 3 Technical.

bvn

Jun 11, 2012
I'm a long time Linux user with some tolerance for Windows. I get the impression that /sdcard is a file system link to a user data partition on the internal SDHC chip (solid state disk). It is a sys-admin trick to prevent users from filling up the system partition which would prevent platform booting.
Correction: /mnt/sdext is the file system link to the external SDHC (when mounted).

This is a good thing. FYI. Windows has the same problem.
--- TTFN