7042 Recovery From Wrong Touchscreen

zdooder

Jan 3, 2014
Hello. I have a tablet that I purchased some time ago for my 3-year-old nephew. His parents, being computer literate but not terribly comfortable with new technology in new form factors (phones, tablets, etc.) managed to do something (I assume) that probably corrupted the firmware. The tablet was exhibiting random behavior (like randomly rebooting and factory resetting itself), and a "normal" factory data reset didn't help.

I grabbed what looked like the right firmware ("coby_7042_4.0.3.img") and used livesuit to flash that firmware, thinking that this would solve the problem. Only then did I discover that these tablets apparently came with two different touchscreens and each had a different driver.

So now, I have a tablet that appears to work (in that it boots up and I get to the launcher and/or the USB Mass Storage app), but I can't actually do anything because the touchscreen doesn't respond. I think I could recover this myself by flashing one of the roms available here, but that would require installing CWM recovery, and that would require root, which would require adb debugging to be turned on, which would require (as far as I know) that I navigate the settings menus to enable debugging.

Is there any alternative to recover this tablet?

Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It should be able to run a mouse from the mouse you can enable usb debugging.