7042 USB Debugging Crashes Tablet

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Hello,

Have a very unstable, rooted 7042 that I used Livesuit to root. Everytime I try to enable USB debugging it crashes the tablet and takes multiple, multiple reboots to get back into the tablet.

Can't get any type of ADB going, including wireless ADB, because of this issue.

Is it possible to reinstall the old files responsible for the usb debug feature, and if so what files and where to put them?

I made a firmware dump before I rooted so I should have the files available. I am able to turn on USB storage but that is all. I do have ES file explorer on the tablet.

Thanks,

Dan

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks Vampirefo. First dumb question....

If I can't get ADB going how do I flash cwm recovery?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks Vampirefo. First dumb question....

If I can't get ADB going how do I flash cwm recovery?

you don't have to adb, you use terminal from tablet. adb is only needed to gain root, which you should already have.

use filemanger to copy install-recovery.sh and recovery.img to /data/local/tmp

use filemanger to copy reboot-recovery to /system/bin

open terminal on tablet, type below. #note let first command complete before typing next one.

su

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

chmod 0775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

Last edited:

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks Vampirefo. I'm in the middle of the usual 25 reboots to get to the home screen, so after I get a terminal loaded I'll give this a try. Have parents coming in tomorrow so time will be limited for the next week or so.

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks Vampirefo. I'm in the middle of the usual 25 reboots to get to the home screen, so after I get a terminal loaded I'll give this a try. Have parents coming in tomorrow so time will be limited for the next week or so.
Hey you can always go into upgrade mode to do abd commands.
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen

with my first tab i used live suit what i did was flashed steeve rom then as soon as it booted i ran the root_recovery script i made from a windows pc this let me boot into cwm then i flashed vampirefo zip

Last edited:

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Vampirefo, I've been trying to install CWM from ROM Manager but it crashes the tablet. I did manage to get a terminal installed. Have a question on your instructions regarding using a file manager to copy the files to /data/local/tmp and system/bin.

I don't see those directories listed in my file manager. Am I missing something? (We all know the answer to that one... :=) )

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I can tell you that while ROM Manager did not crash on me when I tried it on my 9742, it sat there and did nothing. The reason for this is that Vampirefo's Clockworkmod versions that he made available for Kyros users were compiled from source and are not available from Koush's repository.

Uninstall ROM Manager and install the recovery using the commands presented earlier in this thread by Vampirefo. As for the directories, create them.

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Ok, I'm back after a little vacation. Vampirefo, the /data/local/tmp and system/bin directories....those should be on the tablet or my PC? I know how to move around and create directories in windows/dos but am not doing well on the tablet. The terminal I'm using has almost microscopic text but it looks like I'm currently in a directory "app_45@android:/ #" no quotes of course. Since I created the directories on my PC (win7) and tried running the commands from above, with no luck, some more hand holding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Aug 8, 2012
Someone with more knowledge will have to walk you through the other part, but I thought I would try to help at least a little bit.

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks driftinganomaly!!! I could have sworn I looked for that but I overlooked it. Now I can actually read the screen....but still would appreciate help with where to create these directories and how.