7042 versus 7022

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
I'm going back and forth on this and need input, lol. My 7022 was stolen, grrrr, and I'm very sad without it. I was very, very happy with the little guy and used it all of the time! Sooooo, I want to get another Kyros. I was surprised to see that the new ice cream sandwich version 7042 can be had for less than $150 and that puts it within my realm of possibilities.

The only thing that I wish was improved on the 7022 was the battery life, which I found to be rather poor, and the flexible pin on the charging cable, which often necessitated me holding in the pin during charging/use or wrapping the cord around the tablet to provide pressure and stability. Other than that, I loved it! I put Flash on it easily and GetJar provided all of the apps I needed.

So, what are the benefits of Ice Cream Sandwich on the 7042? Is the battery life better? Are there some new awesome features? And, most importantly, will it be a seamless transition from using the 7022 and would I be glad that I upgraded? I'm a basic user and not looking to root whichever one I get.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
why not check out redtabletpc.com . They've got some nice tabs at good prices. Give good support on this forum & you might see something that grabs you more than your 7022 for less bucks. They have a special at the moment with 30usd worth of accessories free. Nothing to lose by looking.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
Well, despite the lack of input aside from the person trying to sell stuff, I decided to order the 7042.

Dang, the price on it has been volatile in the last week! I had to wait until I got paid and just about everyone who was selling it for $129.99 either sold out or raised their prices. I found it at Frye's online for $119.99. They charge for shipping and state sales tax but it was still a decent price. Amazon was sold out when I ordered and their affiliates were selling it for about $155. However, I just went to Amazon looking for accessories and discovered that they've magically restocked it and the price is $124.99, no shipping charges or tax. Sigh ...

Anyhoo, I will be so glad to have a tablet again! I ordered a 10 ft. mini-HDMI cable at Amazon for something like 42 cents! And I ordered a case with keyboard for it, too. Everything should be arriving on Tuesday!

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
I see its at $122 now :p
I got mine from newegg for $130 + free shipping + no tax (got here in 1 business day)

what hdmi cable did you get?
Im guessing this one? Amazon.com: Premium Canon Mini HDMI cable (10 ft): Electronics
also looking at this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5BIX0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1AELTLVGJRO4D

I got this case Hard EVA Cover Case (Black) for Coby Kyros MID7042 Tablet | eBay (except I paid $7) I couldnt find any cases like the ipad has where you just flip the cover behind it

Last edited:

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
Yes, I ordered the Canon Mini HDMI cable. The reviews were good and the price was certainly right, LOL! Shipping was around $3. As for the case and keyboard, I bought this one:
Amazon.com: HDE 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case: Computers & Accessories
There's a really good explanation about how to adapt it for a Coby Kyros from a reviewer who has one.

I'm having back surgery in a couple of weeks and will be convalescing for a while. I think the keyboard and case will be helpful in using the tablet when propped up in bed. I am SO looking forward to having a Coby tablet once again!

The price fluctuations sure are maddening, though. I wonder what's up with that?!

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
My tabby is here and I really love it! The case arrived today, too, and it really is awesome! The tablet fits securely and all I had to do was attach the adapter and plug it in. The keyboard works great! I have flash and Netflix on it so far and it plays the shows beautifully! The battery life seems to be quite a bit better than the 7022.

Today, Amazon's price on the 7042 was about $117. The price fluctuations continue, grrrr. I'm just glad I have mine and am enjoying it!

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
glad you like it, I see the 10.1" model on preorder for $199, maybe I should have waited a bit more..., even the 9.7" one is a great deal at $203

if you wanna get a bit more out of it, consider installing a custom rom
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-kyros-7042-rooted-deodexed-google-play.html

fully rooted, google play installed (along with a bunch of other google things like voice commands), and spoofing to allow alot more apps to be installed from google play

azlcd

May 13, 2012
Hey, I'm looking for a cheap tablet for creating and editing docx files. Would you recommend the 7042?