8" E Fun Tablet at Walmart

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The Nextbook Premium 8HD is preloaded with Google Play, which allows users to download over 600,000 applications and games, millions of songs and books, and thousands of movies in the Google Play Store. It also gives users access to preloaded Android apps from Google including Gmail, Chrome, Google Talk, Google+, Google Maps, YouTube, and Google Drive.

Additional features of the Nextbook Premium 8HD include:

• Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
  • 8" 1024x768 HD resolution capacitive touch screen
  • Slim and sleek design: 8.05" x 6.12" x .37" weighing less than 1 pound
  • High performance Amlogic Dual-core processor; 1.5GHz Cortex A9
  • 1GB DDR3 system memory
  • 8GB internal storage memory and 5GB of cloud storage from SugarSync
  • Dual webcams: 2-megapixel back-facing and 0.3-megapixel front-facing
  • HDMI-out port to send 1080p HD video to an HDTV or computer
  • USB 2.0 High speed slot and microSD card slot for memory expansion up to 32GB
  • Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with up to 6 hours of music playback, 6 hours of HD video playback and 5 hours of web browsing
  • Built-in b/g/n 802.11 Wi-Fi connection with over the air (OTA) update capabilities

Jul 8, 2013
I just bought one of these. I went there for the 7" Nextbook that was on for $69.00 but they didn't have any so just picked this one up instead. I really don't like something this big because I start thinking of it as a man purse. No way I'm carrying it around so may give it to the Mrs. and I should have known right off the bat that this thing wasn't made for men because you have three screens upon bootup (which you cannot change...why, I don't know...it's dumb that you can't). The first screen is a lady laying in the grass reading a book...the second is a lady in a summer dress with a sweater grinning while walking through a valley, and the third is some lady's finger touching the screen. Something as remedial as this annoys me. Why can't the end user change that silliness?

Anyway...I've never used Android so is new to me. I especially don't like the idea of not being able to sign out of things like Google Play right off the bat. Haven't yet looked at the thing enough to see what else it won't let you do. Seems to have a lot of junk I won't ever use on it with no way to get it off like bookmark widgets and some shortcuts/apps to Google search and other 3rd party things. And then the first game she put on there gave itsel permission to do all sorts of things that I don't like. Why on Earth a candy puzzle game needs to read phone call status and identity and some of the other things is some scwewy skullduggery if you ask me.

But anyhow...I got one. It's actually rather nice but the whole man purse thing I don't know if I can do. Then more importantly the fact that you can't do something as simple as sign out of Google and it's processes too is something I don't like. I've never even used Google, really. In fact, I've actually went out of my way to avoid using anything at all that is mentioned in the same context with the word Google but thought I'd give this thing a chance to maybe see if it would be useful so had to create a Google account to use it. Now that I know that it doesn't allow the end user much choice in anything I think I'll pass and think about a smaller Windows tablet if I can find one. I was really peeved nice and good when i finally figured out how the default music player worked that Google Music decided it was the boss and hijacked that process. It just did it all by itself during an update...like to heck with what I think about it.

Is a nice device but it's clearly Google's device to do with as it wishes and when and how. Not the end users.

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi 2016... Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear that you've become disenchanted with the whole Android/Google thing. That's why I always say to purchase devices at a store with a return policy. As for a small Windows tablet, I can't help you there - this is an Android only forum.

Cheers.
Ed

edap

Dec 12, 2012
E FUN, a consumer electronics designer and marketer of fun, easy-to-use lifestyle products out of West Covina, California, announced today a partnership with Hastings Entertainment, Inc., a leading multimedia entertainment superstore retailer. E FUN's Nextbook Premium 7HD and Premium 8HI tablets with an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS and the Google Play Store are available now at more than 100 Hastings superstores nationwide and online. Both tablets are preloaded with the Hastings Readmor app that allows users to access and explore hundreds of thousands of eBooks on goHastings.com.
The Hastings Readmor app gives users the ability to build a personal eBook library collection from new releases, great deals, free eBooks and more. Features include book excerpt sharing via Facebook, Twitter and email, definitions of text while reading, dozens of available fonts, text highlighting with one touch, eBook text search, and single sign-on.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Got to see this tab a my nieghbors for a couple minutes. Very light and thin, very nice appearance. Cpu (dual core) is quite snappy. Overall a very nice tab, much thinner, lighter, and sleeker than my Coby 8065. Very impressive value.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Got to see this tab a my nieghbors for a couple minutes. Very light and thin, very nice appearance. Cpu (dual core) is quite snappy. Overall a very nice tab, much thinner, lighter, and sleeker than my Coby 8065. Very impressive value.

Might be helpful if we could get a dump from that tablet boot.img recovery.img bootloader.img system.tar

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can sell them on the always good idea of having a system backup. Temp root ought to do it. I'll trade you the dump for a hand in porting CWM to the 8065. I have the kernel from boot, but I can't split the recovery.

BTW, I only had a peek, but the OS is a very customized android.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can sell them on the always good idea of having a system backup. Temp root ought to do it. I'll trade you the dump for a hand in porting CWM to the 8065. I have the kernel from boot, but I can't split the recovery.

BTW, I only had a peek, but the OS is a very customized android.

I don't need the dump, might work on your 8065, or on others 8 inch tablet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

CallMeTams

Dec 17, 2013
The Nextbook Premium 8HD is preloaded with Google Play, which allows users to download over 600,000 applications and games, millions of songs and books, and thousands of movies in the Google Play Store. It also gives users access to preloaded Android apps from Google including Gmail, Chrome, Google Talk, Google+, Google Maps, YouTube, and Google Drive.

Additional features of the Nextbook Premium 8HD include:

[*]Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
[*]8" 1024x768 HD resolution capacitive touch screen
[*]Slim and sleek design: 8.05" x 6.12" x .37" weighing less than 1 pound
[*]High performance Amlogic Dual-core processor; 1.5GHz Cortex A9
[*]1GB DDR3 system memory
[*]8GB internal storage memory and 5GB of cloud storage from SugarSync
[*]Dual webcams: 2-megapixel back-facing and 0.3-megapixel front-facing
[*]HDMI-out port to send 1080p HD video to an HDTV or computer
[*]USB 2.0 High speed slot and microSD card slot for memory expansion up to 32GB
[*]Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with up to 6 hours of music playback, 6 hours of HD video playback and 5 hours of web browsing
[*]Built-in b/g/n 802.11 Wi-Fi connection with over the air (OTA) update capabilities

I am now on my 3rd Nextbook8HD made by e-fun....the first one had a case that was open and the charger would just fall out. The CSR, at Walmart, said it was probably a return that was restocked. The next one turned itself on and off at will and froze up changing applications. The one I currently has sound issues, like notifications make sounds sometimes. But no other sounds come from it, even when first exchanged in November you barely could hear anything. Yes settings have been checked,volumes turned up and Yes the buttons for volume show that up/down pop up on the screen yet nothing is heard. And downloading videos is questionable at best even with volume booster app and video downloader apps from Google Play store ,issues don't get resolved. Oh and the next book web site it NOT informative. And techs don't respond. I'm bummed , I liked my tablet but its just not quite ready for this market IMO. OH and somehow I pick up random files from my husbands HTC EVO LTE 4G...now how's that happen without Bluetooth. Mine says Bluetooth library null_ low. Also only once was I able to have the device hooked up to my laptop and actually transfer files

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and I'm really sorry about your bad luck at the local Walmart.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@Callmetams at least you can return the tablet, I would trade it in on the 9 inch RCA tablet if it were my choice.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone