8 Inch Android 2.2 OS Tablet - Freescale Cortex-A8 (Generic)

Nowsupplier

Oct 7, 2010
Because this is the first version of 8'' Android 2.2 tablet, I'm sorry there are unavoidably some defects, but the price is really incredible now--only $184 with free shipping.
It's the cheapest one in the whole market.
I'm sure the next version would be much better.

Last edited:

OH45631

Nov 29, 2010
Hello,

I purchased the recommend tablet from Vostrostone. The device's URL is

Android 2.2 APad Tablet - 1GHz Cortex A8 Processor - 512MB DDR2 - Wi-Fi & 3G [PPC-096-MX] - $208.38

First let me say the people at Vostrostone are very nice and helpful. I can say I don't have a bad thing to say about their sales people at all!

As for the device, while there are many aspects I really like it is NOT yet ready for prime time. I'm told there will be a firmware upgrade out during December 2010, only time will tell the tale.

I really want to start off with the positives, but honestly the negatives are more glaring. Let me say most everything is positive unless I mention it below:

1) Application download and installation. This tablet uses the "AndAppStore," which 90% of the time fails to work with the device. I contacted the AndAppStore and they are very quick to respond and helpful.

The problem is the device starts to download and then quickly fails during the download. No specific error message appears and all it says is to retry, which (of course) fails. Thus far in 2+ weeks I've only been able to download and install twice. Thus far I'm installing by using the external microSDHC card, but not all APK files decode successfully (again no specific error provided).

NOTE: Should the AndAppStore people ask you to uninstall their application, I found I couldn't. I did find I could install the version on their website on-top-of the one that came with the tablet.

NOTE: According to Vostrostone the December 2010 firmware update will add the official Google Android Marketplace application to the device. Only time will tell, if this is true.

2) The touchscreen is CRAP when it comes to drag and drop. I keep trying to drag and drop icons / widgets to the remove / trash can icon without success. The people at Vostrostone say they will ask the manufacturer about adjustments. (You can calibrate the touchscreen positions, but thus far not the sensitivity.) What happens is the icon moves about 1/8-inch and then snaps back (or it won't even move at all).

3) Many applications and/or settings do force close when you access them. There really isn't any rhyme or reason. Fortunately the basic stuff all works (e.g. wireless, many of the live wall papers (but not all), etc).

4) The documentation on using the microSDHC card doesn't exist, but POSITIVE the microSDHC does work just fine. The way to access it is by using the "ES File Explorer" application. (ESTrong is the company.) Unfortunately, it gives you error messages as the Android Marketplace and other expected applications don't work.

5) Viewing JPG / JPEG files from the external microSDHC card might not work - at least I can't get it to work yet. The ES File Explorer simply starts an application that gives a blank screen. The same JPG work fine on my HTC EVO 4G (also using Android 2.2).

6) When you do a factory data reset, which I found I needed to do a few times, prompts come up that don't have any documentation. I still am not sure if I made the correct choices. Maybe some of my errors exist because of bad choices (then again maybe not.).

Overall, I like the device but as is - right now - it is NOT IMHO ready for prime time.

Honestly, if I had to do over again I'd wait to buy it (or find a different one to buy). On the positive side, Vostrostone is willing to help find workarounds and fixes plus the device didn't cost very much.

If anyone else has input to help me with my device, I'd love to hear from you.

SenK9

Oct 31, 2010
I also purchased one of these units, and I have to agree with you on drag/drop issue. It is finicky. Apart from that, the performance is quite solid and I have found it good for my casual web browsing / book reading needs. It does have the unusual 8" size which leads to a difficulty in finding cases for it though. The internal 4GB memory is a Class 2 Sandisk unit, as seen in my teardown below, which would I guess means it's upgradeable to a faster memory later on.

I also got official Google marketplace, Gmail, Gtalk and apps working through the Cyanogen GAPPS package here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version (at bottom).
The alternative app stores included with the unit are a joke!

I wrote more information in my review here: https://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/product-review-generic-freescale-imx515-8-android-tablet/

And also opened it up to have a look inside in teardown here: https://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/product-teardown-freescale-imx515-generic-android-8-tablet/

Nowsupplier

Oct 7, 2010
Well, based on the infor. you posted above, I have to make it clear that the price of the 8" Android 2.2 tablet on *************** is $174. So, you'd better check it before you made a conclusion.
Check it: 8" Android 2.2 tablet

raysaur

Nov 30, 2010
well i purchased this tablet from nowsupplier and it does not work.the only thing that appears on the screen is the little green android and the letters 2.2 under it .it does not go to another screen.the buttons on this unit doesnt seem to control anything.the only way it turns off is by leaving it alone and let the battery run down.i am in communication with them and they dont seem to want to give my money back

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
well i purchased this tablet from nowsupplier and it does not work.the only thing that appears on the screen is the little green android and the letters 2.2 under it .it does not go to another screen.the buttons on this unit doesnt seem to control anything.the only way it turns off is by leaving it alone and let the battery run down.i am in communication with them and they dont seem to want to give my money back

Well that certainly gives me pause about ordering TWO of these from nowsupplier. DOA is not something that would be good for a christmas gift! Hopefully they take care of the problem (refund and resend) ASAP.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I nearly bought this from NowSupplier, but choose another tablet from them. I kind of wish I bought this one.. oh well....

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Considering the basis for the thread is pretty much just advertising the item being discussed, I have to question it's value to anyone but the poster.

Nowsupplier

Oct 7, 2010

Why not contact with the CS by email/phone directly? They will definitely take care of your problem much better than in this way.

wendywind123

Nov 20, 2010
It seems the price of the two are much close, which one to choose, that's a question. after I check with both of them, I choose pandawill , because there are a lot of real customers, they discuss everything related to products in their forum, about the products reviews, the products problems, the products videos, etc. at last, according to their discussion, I change my mind , I bought a Gpad G10 at pandawill, the customers said it is very well and cheaper.

ovenwu

Nov 8, 2010
Sellers are allowed to discuss as long as they present facts, and if they don't pretend to be ordinary users.

They tend to be the ones who get hands-on first. Having them come here is good just for sharing information, provided that it's legitimate stuff :)

We can request for information without making any financial commitments too. It's a win-win.

I'm agree with you,although I'm a staff of a online shopping website,but some times also I'm in customer side and discussing the Tablet PC,because I had play so many kinds of Tablet PC from China.;-)

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
It seems the price of the two are much close, which one to choose, that's a question. after I check with both of them, I choose pandawill , because there are a lot of real customers, they discuss everything related to products in their forum, about the products reviews, the products problems, the products videos, etc. at last, according to their discussion, I change my mind , I bought a Gpad G10 at pandawill, the customers said it is very well and cheaper.

Wendywind123: Good point, and I probably would of bought from PandaWill if I saw them while I was searching around. I like their customer base ratings a lot more.

Considering the basis for the thread is pretty much just advertising the item being discussed, I have to question it's value to anyone but the poster.

I can assure you i'm in no way affiliated with NowSupplier. You can contact me anytime via privmsg, if you wish to verify that I am not. I'm in sunny Southern California as i'm writing this at around 7:40pm. I just ordered a tablet from them, which I did create a thread on here where I will give a very detailed and neutral review. I'll do pictures and video... I've never done one before :)

Cougerler

Sep 28, 2010
the price of nowsupplier is us$135, pandawill is us$144.99, you like to buy expensive