802.11n on Coby???

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
I've been taking a good look at these Coby tablets and I like what i see so far, but what I have noticed is that all the models on their website only specify 802.11b/g, no n.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
N isnt necessary on a tablet b/g will give you good enough speed to stream content or browse the web.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that g has a longer range than n. which would be better for a mobile device.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Nope, not true. But that's one reason 802.11n probably uses more power, so it'd be worse for battery...

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah, wrestling with my 7022 trying to connect to my ad-hoc network, I finally gave up, ran to Wal-Mart, and bought a wireless router. Trick with the a/b is that it's getting harder to find them. G and N is by far almost all you see now, with N being what I saw the most of. Like everybody else, I'd like the fastest possible too so that explains that!
Finally, on the bottom shelf, I found that the $35 cheapest router they had support b and g, but it was the ONLY one I could find with b at all. A dying breed I guess. But like trickbiker said, it's enough to stream video :) so what more could you possibly want?

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Yeah, wrestling with my 7022 trying to connect to my ad-hoc network, I finally gave up, ran to Wal-Mart, and bought a wireless router. Trick with the a/b is that it's getting harder to find them. G and N is by far almost all you see now, with N being what I saw the most of. Like everybody else, I'd like the fastest possible too so that explains that!
Finally, on the bottom shelf, I found that the $35 cheapest router they had support b and g, but it was the ONLY one I could find with b at all. A dying breed I guess. But like trickbiker said, it's enough to stream video :) so what more could you possibly want?

You could of bought just a G only router if it is cheaper. By b/g it means the tablet will work with either a b or a g router. Most n routers will support b/g if they are dual band.

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
yeah im sure G will be fine for me, my wife watches videos on her laptop all the time and we watch netflix on our wii as well (upstairs even!)

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Just to chip in, unless you have a pre-802.11g device, there is almost no reason to buy a b type router.

For the record speed/range goes b (11mbs) < g (54mbs) < n (150/300mbs)

Sent from my slightly rooted Coby 7022

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
You could of bought just a G only router if it is cheaper. By b/g it means the tablet will work with either a b or a g router. Most n routers will support b/g if they are dual band.

Yeah, the one I bought IS the cheapest they had. And I HAD to have wifi NOW lol so there was no chance I was going to order one and wait.