8042 No touch functionality (or other problems) after installing custom rom

AndyJay

Nov 1, 2012
Some people might do a perfect install of the available custom roms, but have no touch functionality (like me).

I think this might be because of different hardware... I took the vendor folder of my dump and put it in the system.tgz and then it worked perfectly fine!
It probably would be good practice to learn to do this for everyone installing custom roms I guess...

So if anyone needs it, here's my dump:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/P4Iuvoy8/8042_alt_touch.html

And just the vendor folder:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/N7staYh3/vendor.html

Hope it will be of some help to any of y'all!

Last edited:

gibascs

Nov 2, 2012
Hi AndyJay, that's exactly whats happening to my 8042: no touch functionality after custom rom installation. however I'm getting your 4shared link as broken, would you please repost it in another folder (Dropbox or other)? After downloading it, what should I do with it? Replace in Zip package and re-flash the rom or only replace contents in system folder through adb?

Tnks and sorry for the silly questions... I`m a n00b on this yet...

Regards

GibasCS

AndyJay

Nov 1, 2012
Hey gibascs, I was a noob last week too ;-) And I don't think you are if you can replace a folder in the system through ADB

I realized only the system.tgz was of no use for the developers to work with, so I reload the whole backup and put it in the same post (on second thought, maybe I'll upload the vendor folder by itself too just for this thread).

I'd replace it in the ROM, then you have the right ROM for the next time, and won't be confused. That's the safest way I think, right? Just common sense...

gibascs

Nov 2, 2012
Hey gibascs, I was a noob last week too ;-) And I don't think you are if you can replace a folder in the system through ADB

I realized only the system.tgz was of no use for the developers to work with, so I reload the whole backup and put it in the same post (on second thought, maybe I'll upload the vendor folder by itself too just for this thread).

I'd replace it in the ROM, then you have the right ROM for the next time, and won't be confused. That's the safest way I think, right? Just common sense...

Hey AndyJay, tnks for reposting thw DL links! Unfortunately I couldn't manage to restore your dump because I followed this instructions http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nt/42750-how-restore-7042-8042-9742-dump.html and my device could not be recognized through adb in recovery to perform the restore procedures. ADB only works when I reboot into the current rom and not in CWM recovery. What I'm REALLY inclined to do is to replace vendor folder into vanpirefo's CM9 rom and zipping all things together again, and end up messing things and bricking my device. Did you ever tried this?

Regards,

GibasCS

gibascs

Nov 2, 2012
Hey AndyJay, I got some guts and replaced the vendor folder from Vampirefo CM9 and flashed it. It worked flawlessly! If someone wants this repack I can send it to my dropbox folder.

Tnks again man! Problem solved!

manekineko

Nov 18, 2012
hi guys! i'm in the very exact situation as you were. I installed CM9 for 8042, i think i did it correctly except for the touch screen. It's not responding. I'm really getting frustrated coz I've been doing this for days and I can't resolve it. I'm obviously a noob at this matter. I'm in need of assistance.

thanks you very much!

manekineko

Nov 18, 2012
Hey AndyJay, I got some guts and replaced the vendor folder from Vampirefo CM9 and flashed it. It worked flawlessly! If someone wants this repack I can send it to my dropbox folder.

Tnks again man! Problem solved!

hi gibascs! did you just literally copy the vendor folder from AndyJay's dump and paste it to Vampirefo's CM9 rom?

nelsonuwp

Jan 15, 2013
When I delete the vendor folder and then insert AndyJay's vendor folder and go to install the zip I get an "Installation aborted."

I'm rooted, using the clockworkmod recovery tool..... I'm so close I installed the 8042 build with no touchscreen capabilities and am now here.

nelsonuwp

Jan 15, 2013
When I delete the vendor folder and then insert AndyJay's vendor folder and go to install the zip I get an "Installation aborted."

I'm rooted, using the clockworkmod recovery tool..... I'm so close I installed the 8042 build with no touchscreen capabilities and am now here.

Ok, here's a weird one for you. I grabbed the volume folder from AndyJay and unpacked the original 8042.zip with Windows' default extractor, I replaced the volume folder and zipped it back up. This didn't work with the CWM recovery tool.

I re-downloaded the 8042.zip and opened it AND volume.zip with 7zip. I dropped the volume folder from volume.zip into 8042.zip and said yes to all the prompts and was able to install the ROM with no issues. Odd that 7zip fixed my problem and/or how I packed the zip was the problem.

mcarw

Nov 15, 2013
i get black screen after coby logo if i unzip & copy vendor from my original dump to custom and zip then zip custom. in custom fw touch doesn't work. i try only copy goodix_touch.ko (my original is little bigger) no black screen but touch doesn't work too) and links are proken at 1st post