8gb enough?

Nov 6, 2011
The Acer a500 at Costco is the 8gb model. Is this enough built in memory? I would think that as long as you can add an SD card up to 32gb it should be. I can't beat the Costco return policy anywhere that has the 16gb model. Can you add apps to the add on SD card? Can you have apps on a USB flash drive?

Killjoy

Oct 5, 2011
You can definitely add apps to the SD card. I don't think you want to have apps on a USB though. If you have an account with the Amazon app store, you always will have access to any app you purchased through them so if you download it, use it, delete it, you can still go back to the amazon app and re-download the app again.

But for sure, you can just pop in a nice 32gb SD card and put all your apps on there. Truthfully though, I have 8GB on my Droid X and even with the ton of apps I have on it, I still have over 5GB left.

Good luck and enjoy the tablet!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No. You can't install apps on the sd card.

Media, documents, music, movies, and data.

No apps on the sd card. This is Honeycomb, not gingerbread.

Killjoy

Oct 5, 2011
I stand corrected.... I thought that an there was an app in the android market that would allow for this.

Tripzgt

Nov 15, 2011
I've got the 8 gb model with an 8gb sd card in my tablet. For me, 16 gb is more than enough for this thing, at least for now. I've got 6 movies loaded on the external sd and all my pictures and music on the internal. I dont see why you would need to put apps on the external sd unless you have more than one tablet and dont want to install your apps on them?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Wait - you CAN or CANNOT put apps on the SD card?

On Honyecomb devices, and probably IceCreamSandwidch, you can NOT put applications on the External_SD card.

This isn't an Acer restriction. It applies to all Honeycomb devices.
Its google's way of forcing Android phone makers to stop under-provisioning their devices.

You can still back up apps to the External_SD card, but you can't run them from there.

Nov 6, 2011
Oh boy. Then perhaps 8 gb is too limiting. Other than the return policy Costco is not offering any deal on price, in fact, I think it is list at $349. I have to start shopping again...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I would have to advice against an 8Gig Acer.

Looking at statistics from my 16 Gig tablet, I see that it starts out telling me I have 12.5 gig total space.
So right off the bat 3.5 gig are gobbled up by the OS, 1 gig of Ram, and various recovery areas, etc.

Of my 12 Gig, I have 8.7 left.

I've got a couple versions of Angry Birds, and a couple other big games, and quite a few other apps,
but no where near as many as most people have. 2.5Gig of applications.

(All of my media (music, movies, pictures) are stored on the External_SD card.)

So not counting media, I'm using (in one way or another) almost 8 gig, having only 8Gig left.

If I had an 8 gig tablet, 3.5 used by the system, leaving 4.5 gig, minus 2.5gig of apps leaves 2 gig that I would have free.

You need some work space when new updates come OTA, and for doing other day to day tasks, so I think you would be pretty limited in 8 gig.

My advice: Don't buy less than 16 gig.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
FYI, the 32GB Iconia is available on the Costco.com website for $429.99 + $9.99 for shipping. Pricier than in the past, but it still beats most other retailers, and you can still return it straight to any Costco as if you bought it from there.

I found it for $419 with free shipping at B&H, and it also includes a leather case--but disadvantage is you can't return it with no questions asked like you can at Costco. Here's the link:
Acer 32GB ICONIA TAB A Series A500-1032u XE.H6LPN.001 B&H Photo

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011
Oh boy. Then perhaps 8 gb is too limiting. Other than the return policy Costco is not offering any deal on price, in fact, I think it is list at $349. I have to start shopping again...

to be honest, now is probably the worst time to buy a tablet. i actually got my 32 gig on sale at costco back in august for the price you paid (349). There will be a price drop for black friday since best buy is rumored to have the best deal so far (asus transformer 16 gig for $250). Its only natural that others will chdime in with a deal on a tablet of their own. Then in december , i predict a more permanent price drop when the tegra 3 tablets start to appear. personally, just wait 1 more month. you wont regret it.

Nov 6, 2011
Walmart's return on electronics is 14 days. I would not spend this much on a refurb. Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for a good deal on an Acer 16gb or 32gb (new).

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I think 8GBs will be enough if you aren't planning to keep a bunch of files on the dvice besides apps. I have 65 apps (half are games) and am only using around 649MB of internal space for them... not even 1GB! All other storage space belongs to documents, photos, and videos and most of that is on an external memory card.
If you got the 8GB model (which I had no idea existed lol... I swear, since I got my Iconia, I stopped paying attention to what tablets were on the market) you could get a 32GB microSD card if needed and keep all personal files on it, while keeping apps and smaller files on the internal SD.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum