9042 Wifi Issues

bdub72

Jul 30, 2011
Hello. I owned a 7022 for about 8 months before it died. I had purchased a TRU warranty so decided to put that towards a new ICS tablet from Coby. Figured I'd give them one more try.

I was excited to purchase the MID9042-8 (until I saw that there's a 10.1" 16x10 version, grrrr....). I've had it for about 2 weeks and so far the only thing that's got me frustrated is the Wifi. Right now it's showing the following:

Signal Strength: Excellent
Link Speed: 58Mbps
Security: WPA2 PSK
IP address: *****

However it's showing "Amazon.com might be temporarily unavailable". REALLY??? Even as I use my laptop to access androidtablets.net the 9042 shows the site as unavailable. So far everything else with this tablet I like. But if I can't surf the internet then why bother.

Has anyone else had Wifi issues with their 3rd Gen Coby tablets? Should I send this back to Amazon for credit or try out another one? I've never rooted anything (just did the GooglePlay hack on the 7022) but could that help with the Wifi?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you can't access anything on the Internet the problem may be security related in your router, firewall etc, or possibly a DNS issue.

The first thing I would do would be to power down your router for at least 30 seconds then power up and restart your tablet.

If you long press the WiFi connection you can go to advanced and input fixed information in the settings including DNS. My suggestion is that you use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS which is Google's DNS servers. There must be a fairly simple explanation.

bdub72

Jul 30, 2011
Hello leeshor. I have no problems accessing my wifi with my phone, netbook and laptop (and 7022 when I had it).

I long pressed the wifi connection on the tablet to look for the DNS. I did use this function to post what I posted originally (status, signal, speed, etc). I do not see DNS listed. Is this something I would fix on the tablet or wifi router?

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hello leeshor. I have no problems accessing my wifi with my phone, netbook and laptop (and 7022 when I had it).

I long pressed the wifi connection on the tablet to look for the DNS. I did use this function to post what I posted originally (status, signal, speed, etc). I do not see DNS listed. Is this something I would fix on the tablet or wifi router?

Thanks.

It's something you would normally see in the WiFi connection, advanced, but it may not appear in some tablets or versions of the Android OS. Your router should be issuing DNS information to the tablet under normal circumstances but based on your original description it sounded like that wasn't happening. Another thing you might try is that long press on the connection and tell it to forget then connect again.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
To change DNS you need to set wifi to static, then you can set what ever DNS you want.

delbarto

Aug 30, 2012
having a similar issue, took a mid9042-8 running ice cream sandwich fresh out of the box today and cannot get it to connect to the home network

you can see the network available, and some of my neighbors but when we tried to connect that looks like it is connecting but then it keeps going from "saved, secured with WPA2" to "not in range" and we cannot get away from this.

when we press the icon in the top right-hand corner which looks like three vertical dots it shows an advanced button, when this is pressed it displays network notifications, keep WiFi on during sleep, mac address and IP address which is displaying unavailable

now I haven't been anywhere yet to try it on a different WiFi signal , and we have not been able to get a WiFi signal icon on the device down by the clock, but the things we have tried are the following.

changing network channel/frequency in the router
disabling network security (temporarily) in the router
returning the device to the factory default setting
disabling re-enabling WiFi on the device multiple times
resetting router both through accessing the software and disconnecting from the power
powering down device and rebooting device multiple times
we also switched the wireless mode from 802.11 b/g to 802.11 b & 802.11 g individually

I have seen some suggestions about changing DNS , but I imagine this would only apply if we could actually make a connection to the network, but then could still not access the Internet, please correct me if I am wrong (i.e. we can connect to the network but when we tried to go to Google and were still unable to).

I have also seen suggestions to change DHCP to static , I can find the settings in the advanced section for the network connection, it allows me to change them to static, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the fields which I assume is to make a manual connection, here is where we can also find the DNS which is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but without filling out the rest of the information there is no confirmation button, if somebody could give me instructions on where to get the information for each particular field, maybe this would be a solution as the automatic process keeps displaying unavailable for the IP address as mentioned above.

I think I have covered pretty much everything, any suggestions would be grateful but please provide clear instructions on how to do the things you suggest (unless of course it's just something very simple standard) and if any more information is required for me, please ask.

Thank You
delbarto

I will try to test the device on a different network as soon as possible.

delbarto

Aug 30, 2012
have since been able to try a manual config with the help of a friend, but still the same problem, I go to connect, it displays the network, the signal strength is high, it looks like it is connecting, then it says "out of range"
very frustrating

delbarto

Aug 30, 2012
Changing the router to channel 1 solved the problem for me also.

Confirmed! Changing to channel 1 finally worked!

previously I had tried changing to 7 different channels randomly without systematically trying every single one, and I thought I had tried pretty much everything feasible within my computer capabilities of which I actually gained more looking into this, happy me, happy wife, it is her tablet :D

thank you very much MWalter!

Last edited: