9742 MBR problems and such post here.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the response, i understand what needs to be done however I cant seem to find the /system/ folder. using es file explorer it is showing me whats in the /sdcard...cant seem to change it?...please advise

you need to go into es file explore preference and set options for root, and check option to navigate to root.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Guys, I have discovered two things:
Camera is not working and Touchscreen is messed. I have looked in the ini.sun4i.rc file and found that the drivers there are the wrong drivers. The actual driver for the touchscreen is in the directory /system/vendor/module/gt811_2plus1.ko and the driver for the camera is the /system/vendor/module/gt2005.ko.
The right drivers are gt811_2plus1.ko and gt8110_2plus1.ko (touchscreen) and gt2005-2015.ko (camera). I have only found the correct drivers for touchscreen (which is what I want to fix) but not for the camera. I'm trying to edit and overwrite the ini.sun4i.rc file by filemanager but somehow after rebooting Android it does some kind of rollback.

THANK YOU! After I rooted my tablet and ended up with the mirror screen, I thought I was doomed. I gave it to my (developer) husband along with this thread and he managed to fix it for me. So although I don't fully understand how he did it, I know your information was what he needed - so many thanks!! :) I now have a fully functioning Coby Kyros 9742 with Google Play and all of the google apps. (I just wish the darn thing was a bit faster.....)

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Any advice on how to make this thing faster? I've got the 9742-8 with Steev's ROM (Adding the Google Play store). I've tried the stock browser, Dolphin HD, and Opera Mobile and they are all soooooooooo slow! Is there anything you can recommend that might speed surfing up? My phone (HTC Sensation) is much faster. If I can't figure out a way to make this tablet faster, I will probably end up selling it on ebay. It's too frustrating to use as it is right now. :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Any advice on how to make this thing faster? I've got the 9742-8 with Steev's ROM (Adding the Google Play store). I've tried the stock browser, Dolphin HD, and Opera Mobile and they are all soooooooooo slow! Is there anything you can recommend that might speed surfing up? My phone (HTC Sensation) is much faster. If I can't figure out a way to make this tablet faster, I will probably end up selling it on ebay. It's too frustrating to use as it is right now. :(

Try chrome beta and change your tablet's DNS.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Try chrome beta and change your tablet's DNS.

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, I can't install Chrome. It says it is not compatible with my device. Just like I can't install Facebook, or Firefox, or a lot of other apps.

Is there a way to get it back to factory settings after installing this custom rom? I wish I hadn't done it. :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If you installed cwm and made a back, use cwm to restore your backup.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You made no backup of any kind? No system dump? I didn't use livesuite on either of my coby tablets, I manually rooted them made my own rom, and now porting other roms I like. Everything is done via cwm or adb no livesuite. Anyway if you can find a system dump that is exactly like your tablet you could install it and be back to stock. Well almost stock.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
You made no backup of any kind? No system dump? I didn't use livesuite on either of my coby tablets, I manually rooted them made my own rom, and now porting other roms I like. Everything is done via cwm or adb no livesuite. Anyway if you can find a system dump that is exactly like your tablet you could install it and be back to stock. Well almost stock.

Nope, nothing! I don't really know anything about this stuff. I believed it when I read "YOU NEED NO (Zero) COMPUTER SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS (DON'T BE AFAID)" in the how-to thread. There weren't any instructions about a backup! Yes, I'm an idiot! :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, then we have to trial and error, l will see what system dumps are available for 9742, put together a stock.zip and you install it see if your tablet works the same as it did before flashing rom. You will need to install cwm and make a backup so if something goes wrong you can at least restore back to where you are at now.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
THANK YOU!! I'd love to keep the Google Play Store and make it work, but as slow as it is now, it's basically a paperweight. I was hoping I could talk my husband into looking into a fix for me, but he doesn't want to help me anymore. (He already fixed it once - I had the mirror screen problem that Shini had after I installed the custom ROM and he fixed that for me.)

ps. I'm originally from Weston, WV! ;)

harryf1994

Jul 22, 2012
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place but trying so hard for day now to solve a similar issue with my HTC Desire Z (aka Vision or G" in the US).
Basically my touchscreen is reversed acting like a mirror image, if I touch the top right of the phone the top left is selected and so on.

Would be really grateful if anyone could help thanks.

Harry

kygarv7

Jul 25, 2012
I hope this helps someone because I was stuck for a while. Everything worked fine I thought then I realized the camera wouldn't work. I went though many of these forums and thought I found the updated drivers I needed. Well, first I ended up causing my touchscreen to mirror...finally got that fixed by putting the right drivers back. Then I found the newer camera driver called gt2005-2015.ko and thought that would be an easy copy and paste. NO RESULTS! I couldn't find anywhere that would just explain this one simple task I figured out on my own...JUST RENAME gt2005-2015.ko to gt2005.ko and then copy and paste. CAMERA NOW WORKS!