9742 MBR problems and such post here.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
I hope this helps someone because I was stuck for a while. Everything worked fine I thought then I realized the camera wouldn't work. I went though many of these forums and thought I found the updated drivers I needed. Well, first I ended up causing my touchscreen to mirror...finally got that fixed by putting the right drivers back. Then I found the newer camera driver called gt2005-2015.ko and thought that would be an easy copy and paste. NO RESULTS! I couldn't find anywhere that would just explain this one simple task I figured out on my own...JUST RENAME gt2005-2015.ko to gt2005.ko and then copy and paste. CAMERA NOW WORKS!
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...mbr-problems-such-post-here-4.html#post216806

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Hi guys,

I have installed Steev's custum ROM for my 9742, using livesuite. I had the mirror screen problem and I fixed it using the files I found here (thanx!).
Since I haven't tested the tablet before installing the custom ROM, I have some doubts I think u could clarify:

1 - When I try to install the facebook app using google play, they tell me my device is not supported. Is it normal or it only happens with the custom ROM? (the same thing happened with Angry Birds Rio). Is there a way to solve this problem?
2 - Is there any difference between 9742-8 and 9742 ??
Thanks for your help!!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The reason why Google Play is reporting that some apps, like Google Maps, are incompatible is some files are missing from /system/etc/permissions in this ROM. Try downloading Facebook or Angry Birds and the tablet will complain. I found this out from a user on Slatedroid who fixed the problem by copying the missing files from AOSP source into his permissions directory. The missing files can be downloaded from Slatedroid if you have an account there, or from the post I made in this thread, where I provide the files and my build.prop.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Thank you, Traveller. I've copied the "system" files from your zip to my "permissions" folder using the root explorer. However, nothing has changed. Facebook and Angry Birds are still not supported. Should I copy the META-INF files and the build.prop?? If so, what is the destination folder? Thanks again!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You need to wipe out everything from the Play Store - settings, account and cache - and reboot before the changes will take effect. In fact, you may even have to do so twice.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveller, Thanks again, Traveller. I did this: On settings-apps, I selected google play and then Clear cache and clear data. Did the same on google account manager, then power off. Turned on and repeated the same steps... turned off and on again.
Opened google play, but nothing has changed... Am I doing anything wrong??

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You may not have the permissions for the files set correctly. They should be set to 644 and both owner and group should be set to 0 (rw-r--r-- <root:root>). It's the owner and group that is most likely to be tripping you up. Files on mnt\extsd have an owner and group of <system:1023> and must be changed or else they won't be seen or touched by root.

EDIT: The zip file in that other thread was intended for users of Clockworkmod, like myself. The META-INF directory has the script that automates the installation of the files and the changing of the permissions, which is why the original post does not mention it. I've updated the zip file so that it now works properly for Clockworkmod users. Livesuit users will still have to unzip the file and apply the changes manually, including changing the permissions.

Last edited:

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveler, you are right!! I changed the permissions and now I can get google maps, facebook, angry birds... Thanks again for your patience and help!

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
I finally managed to install cwm. I was trying to find the correct ROM for my 9742, since steev's custom rom was not the correct one for my tablet.
I read that there are 3 models for the same tablet, so I tried the different roms I found here., however, none seems to work properly. Here are the results:

1) 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip: screen sensor not working. I can't "unlock" the system.
2) MID9742_stock.zip: same
3) MID9741-8_G333_1.zip: Works really fast and responsive, but the camera is not working properly: only the rear camera is working (there is no option to switch to the front camera) and youtube videos are upside down.
4) MID9741-8_G333.zip same as MID9741-8_G333_1.zip.
5) coby_9742_4.0.3.zip (I guess this is the original Rom from Steev): installed it via Livesuit (no camera, inverted axis and slower then the others). I fixed the inverted axis problem, but could not solve the cam issue.
6) coby_9742_4.0.3_1.zip (Steev's custom ROM) same as #5.

Is there a fix for those issues on rom MID9741-8_G333_1.zip ??
Are the stock ROM's for the 3 models availiable anywhere??

Again, thanks for all the help you guys are giving me here.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There are instructions posted on this forum by Vampirefo that explain how to get a totally stock ROM created from a system dump placed onto the device using Google's ADB software. I would use those instructions and start trying with recent dumps.

I do not recommend using custom ROMs if all anyone wants is Google apps on their device. In the future, I believe it best to install Clockworkmod, then flash a Google apps package through Clockworkmod. Either use the Google apps package recommended for Cyanogenmod 9 or use the 20120429 Google apps package from http://goo.im/gapps.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Thanks, Traveller !!
Unfortunately, I did not make a back up for my room before I installed steev's, so I have to search for stock roms on the internet.
So, I followed these steps: 1) CWM, 2) wipe cache, wipe data, wipe dalvik, 3) install MID9742_stock.zip 4) patchgirl.zip. 5) reboot, but axis was inverted on the touchscreen. 6) root with 9742_adb 7) copied gt801_2plus1.ko (from Modules - MID9742-8.zip) to /system/vendor/modules/ 8) install 20120429 Google apps package from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps with CWM ; 9) install tweak.zip files manually, changing the permissions for all of them (tweak.zip via CWM did not work for me) 10) clear google apps cache 11) reboot 12) follow this procedure to allow network location (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lly-replace-framework-res-apk-stock-roms.html to allow the network to pinpoint my location)
Now, I got stock again, camera working ok, google apps ok (including facebook, angry birds, maps...)
Thank you so much for all the help you gave me!!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Regarding the tweaks zip file not working, that is odd. I'll have to look into that, although when I tested the install script it did copy the files over as it was supposed to.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveler, it has copied everything. But after I installed the files via CWM, the tablet got stuck in the COBY logo screen.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That script has given me plenty of difficulty in the past, but I thought the only issue was not having the mount point correct.

skristies

May 14, 2012
Hello people! I´m a 9742 Version owner (first series)

I had the Deodexed Rom version, but I was unhappy with some modificatoins with videos and gallery, so I put this rooted rom instead.

I´m with the same error mensioned before with the camera.

I´ve installed the rooted rom and put with the AC the Gapps (also, removed the ESFileManager and EsMemoryManager and installed the new versions, for rootexplore).

But when I was test the camera, it just get the rear camera. Only the front camera gives me the camera error.

I tried the gt2005-2015.ko in /system/vendor/modules and replacing the gt2005.ko, but with no sucess there either. Both restarts the tablet.

Any thoughs?

Regards!

SKristies