9742 MBR problems and such post here.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There are at least three versions of 9742, you need to look at your boot.img files from your original boot.img it will show you what modules you need to load.

TheHasselhoff

Aug 30, 2012
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am a complete noob at modding tablets (rooting, custom ROMs, etc.). However, I'm about to buy a MID9742. What I would like to do, is simply get the Google Play store on it. No other modding needed (and I don't think will ever be needed).

Going through all of the different posts (especially post#70 from Traveler) definitely indicates it is possible, but unfortunately, it is not specific enough for me since I haven't dealt with this stuff before. It sounds like: download Clockworkmod ROM Manager and install; then download the gapps from goo.im, and install through Clockworkmod.

Does this sound right? If so, some questions:
- Do I just get the newest version of CWM? And if so, can I get it from getjar or amazon (since the link on the CWM homepage appears to be through Google Play)?
- Do I just run CWM and then have it run the gapps? Or is it more complicated?
- Do I need Cyanogenmod at all?
- Since I am just wanting to install gapps, does the version of the MID9742 I get matter? (Since it appears there are 3 versions out there)

Thank you in advance, any assistance would be appreciated!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The version of Clockworkmod available on the forums here was compiled by Vampirefo from source and is therefore not available through Koush's repository. Installing ROM Manager on the tablet does nothing but waste space. Since using ROM Manager will not work, you MUST use ADB to push the recovery to the tablet. Other than that, you have the rest of it right in that you download the Google Apps from goo.im and install through Clockworkmod. With that said, do make it a point to check the sticky at the top of the forum. It explains where to get everything you need, and how to do everything you need. I do however believe I'm going to have to rename the thing since everybody and their mother is ignoring it.

TheHasselhoff

Aug 30, 2012
Thank you for the help! So does this sound right, then?

1) Download the recovery zip from vampirefo in the "Clockworkmod for MID9742" thread
2) Download the ADT (I'm guessing just from developer.android.com) and connect the tablet to my computer
3) Open ADB and use the instructions Vampirefo posted to push CWM to the tablet
4) Use CWM to install the gapps

Doesn't sound too bad at all! Thank you again! (Just let me know if I screwed up anywhere :))

The version of Clockworkmod available on the forums here was compiled by Vampirefo from source and is therefore not available through Koush's repository. Installing ROM Manager on the tablet does nothing but waste space. Since using ROM Manager will not work, you MUST use ADB to push the recovery to the tablet. Other than that, you have the rest of it right in that you download the Google Apps from goo.im and install through Clockworkmod. With that said, do make it a point to check the sticky at the top of the forum. It explains where to get everything you need, and how to do everything you need. I do however believe I'm going to have to rename the thing since everybody and their mother is ignoring it.

TheHasselhoff

Aug 30, 2012
Traveller, I can't thank you enough for the help. After trying a few different things (I guess I am still getting "rooting" and "custom ROM" mixed up), Google Play is installed and working!

Do I need to do the file copy that you list in your signature, to get all apps compatible? If so, can you point me to the command to fix permissions? (I think I can push the files, but I am not sure how to set permissions.)

Thank you so much!

Actually ADB and the root scripts are available in the sticky at the top of this forum. Check the Development Index, post 3.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The Google Earth thread in my signature covers how to change permissions for files. What may not be clear is that the work is done on the tablet. The xml files and build.prop are set to the same permissions as shown in the illustration in the Google Earth thread.

TheHasselhoff

Aug 30, 2012
Absolutely amazing, works perfectly! (Well, for some reason, Netflix launches then immediately closes, but beyond that - Google Play works, all apps download, incredible!)

Thank you Traveller!

p3r3gr1n0

Sep 9, 2012
sorry for the question. I'm from Argentina and not much English. and not if the chrome is skipping a step or this mistranslating the page. my problem is that of all, install the rom from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-kyros-9742-rooted-deodexed-google-play.html
and to boot the device axes are reversed. reading at the beginning of your post I see the procedure. but the route you write can not find it on my device nor do I have to replace files. so my question is if you describe the route I have to create or find them are not. I hope I have been specific enough. thanks anyway

p3r3gr1n0

Sep 9, 2012
sorry, I see that apparently my question is unclear. the point is that I don't find the files to replace. there is a way through that maybe I'm not doing that and let me know.

TheHasselhoff

Aug 30, 2012
Hello again everyone - I've got a really strange problem now :) So, my MID9742 tablet is working great. So great, in fact, that my father-in-law ordered one :) He handed it over to me, and I rooted it, installed CWM, and got Google Play working.

The next day, he shows me that the wifi isn't working. So I go into Settings to re-create the network connection... and the Wifi part under "Network & Connections" is gone! If I go into it by tapping the time at the lower-right of the home screen, it said it was connected, but the wifi strength meter was grey (not blue). I did a factory reset, and it's still gone - and now, the wifi is turned off. And with the wifi part missing, I can't turn it back on!

Any ideas?
Thank you!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you make a nandroid backup of the ROM after putting the Google apps on it? Did you make a dump of his firmware at least?

Try a factory reset first, then restore from backups if that doesn't fix things.

EDIT: You did the reset. Try the backups.

diegomol

Sep 23, 2012
Hello, i saw most of the pages on this thread, unfortunately after i did my rooting on tablet without a backup, because i was thinking that original room was available :(
I purchased my tablet 1 day ago, fortunately i've 5 days to test it and change it back in my country :), anyway, i am in love with tablet, except that the missing google play is a crap.

Here is the thing:
I did the Steev rooting, and got the screen inverted (meaning the touch coordinates), then i tried to root again with the fabric root available on Steev thread but touch coordinates still inverted, then i came trough this entire post, and found the drivers replacement posted, i rooted again with Steev cfw, installed root_explorer.apk and then i figured to use the inverted touch and replace the drivers for touchscreen and for camera, after this all was working smooth when i restarted, except that after a little while using the tablet, the touchscreen went wrong, and unresponsive, like a multitouch error, if i type something on keyboard other keys are pressed, etc...

If anyone has this problem and was fixed please let me know what is the best rooting available.

I am on a mac and will love to have SSH root access trough terminal to manage my tablet files, but i also dont know how to do it.

Thanks to all people posting to this thread in advance;)

D.

Edit: Tablet Coby Kyros Mid9742-8 Cowel 8 1Gz

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
A possible solution for you is in the very first post of this thread. Clearly, you didn't read the thread in its entirety.