9742 Not Running Well

mavermc

May 9, 2012
I just want to know if this is me or not.

I've got the custom rom with google play baked in, i only have a handful of apps installed (mostly google, plus mint and ezpdf)

And I notice the tablet just doesn't run well. I expected some lag with a single core running ICS, and it seems the OS runs great (notification panel pops up, hitting home goes right there and transitions work great) but any app not in ram, I'll hit it and sometimes it won't do anything, or it will open up and just give me white for 10 seconds, I touch the touch screen and it tells me the app is not responding would i like to force close and then i see behind that message the app starting to wake up and i'll hit wait, then start using the app. but every app start seems to just take forever, should I just not bother to close any apps with the task switcher just for the sake of being some what usable. I could understand a bit of hesitation, but more often then not i'll goto open an app and for a whole min it will just be white. I turn off the screen and turn it back on and that will take 15 seconds to wake back up.

Do you think the flash didn't work right? or are other people expirenceing this as well. can I up the govner on the processor with a build.prop or something?

I'd really like to use this but it's getting to a point where I'll pull out my droid bionic to check my email because i know clicking gmail on the tablet will take 30 seconds to open and it's quicker to pull out my phone, wake it up, and navigate to the app.

thanks for the help guys.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Are these apps that connect to internet? If so a slow or bad connection can cause this it would be normal.

Jun 18, 2012
Yeah, I'm experiencing the same problems. I almost immediately flashed the rom so all I played with was the stock, non internet based parts of the tablet (all of which were smooth and didn't lag) so I didn't experience these problems before flashing it. Pandora will open and freeze, but will play after you tell it to wait instead of force closing it. Youtube has problems buffering and every browser is extremey slow. I've used it with wifi at my apartment, parent's house, and Panera. All of them had the same problems. Whenever it happens, it almost never makes anything else (ie. pressing notifications or home button) lag.

Last edited:

shelbym

Jun 12, 2012
Same problem lots "program is not responding close or wait" and browsing is ridiculous. Messing with the cpu minimum speed seemed to get the browsing fast but it would eventually still force close. I would think this is software related. I've been messing around with the roms and such and trying to get it to work smooth. Anybody have these problems on their stock tablet?

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Same problem lots "program is not responding close or wait" and browsing is ridiculous. Messing with the cpu minimum speed seemed to get the browsing fast but it would eventually still force close. I would think this is software related. I've been messing around with the roms and such and trying to get it to work smooth. Anybody have these problems on their stock tablet?
I want to know it too, I have not tested my tablet before it...
I don't know how to make a stock rom from my images.

not2techy

Dec 18, 2012

yup---my tablet does all of the same things, and it is strictly stock. I really do not want to root it, and only considered doing so to speed it up (clearly not a fix) and so I can save apps to the external sd. I was wondering if the partitioned drive is the issue. My 3 sons have smaller Cobys and their apps go directly to the ext sd. They seem to be way more responsive. Granted, they do not run power hungry apps like facebook, but even when I do a thorough task kill-my device is getting more and more sluggish. Has anyone found a fix for this? And if so-can they explain it to me as if I were a 2 year old?? Generally- I find I do not speak the lingo well enough to understand most of the suggestions on this site.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The drive partitioning should have little, if anything to do with the lag. However, one thing that WILL impact your performance is using a task killer. Unlike Windows, Android has its own built-in task killer which automatically frees up memory when necessary by closing down the oldest open program first. The only thing that happens when you manually kill a task is the CPU has to work harder because the system starts the app back up after you kill it.

So...solution to your tablet running sluggish? Uninstall your task killer, and shut down your tablet completely (hold down the power button until a prompt appears, then press OK). Then turn the tablet back on and use the tablet.

P.S. Any lag that appears afterward I believe is related to inefficiency in the code for the drivers Coby uses, since the processor itself actually works well in tablets used by other manufacturers such as Archos and Lenovo.