9742 Stock and Custom ROM

redazteck

May 9, 2014
yes, sir, i made a back up before flashing that rom which is this one cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip, and sorry if i didn't provide enough information, this is exactly what i did
i flashed my coby kiros 9742-8 using livesuit, then the tablet came up with inverted axis, and not working camera and wifi, i have solved the inverted touch and camera using adb, and now i am stuck with the wifi problem, the dump which the link i posted is the backup i made before flashing the tablet, please i need your help and thank you for assisting me.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
We normally don't support LiveSuite users here, simply because of LiveSuite's tendency to rewrite everything. In your case, you have a dump from before you mucked around with LiveSuite, meaning you may have an avenue to restore your tablet assuming the interaction between ADB and LiveSuite on your tablet doesn't brick it. See the following thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...recovery-coby-allwinner-via-command-line.html

redazteck

May 9, 2014
Yeah, i know you guys won't support us, all i was asking for is you guys helping make my wifi work, i have used adb to make the inverted touchscreen work and also the camera, now i need to make the wifi work, thanks god i made a back up also with the software provided in this forum, i was taking a look to my ini.sun4i.rc and that gave me the answer in how to fix the inverted touch and camera, now i need the wifi, i will look into the post you are directing me and i hope you can helpe with the dump i made, i mean why don't you take a look a the dump file and help me make a restore zip so i can flash it using cwm, does it cost you to much to help me on this one?? or i can provide any file you request since i have a dump file. Anyway thank you for using your time answering all of the questions on this forum.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My time is limited as it is between my real job and my side job as a book editor, and I can barely afford to dedicate time to making the SSL Cipher upgrades my Dell Streak ROM needs. There are enough flashable 9742 ROMs available that you could take one and replace the contents with your dump files. Simply unzip one on your PC and examine the layout. Then plug your files in to match.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I also have a 9742 that has been flashed with LiveSuite. I have a full Nandroid backup of the stock firmware created by ONandroid. Would it be safe to flash the stock firmware back to the tablet with CWM recovery, or will the LiveSuite-ADB interaction brick it? Any educated guess is better than mine! Ultimately I'd like to put the Mobiz ROM on it.

Thanks, Kevin

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If your tablet functions after installing CWM, you should be good to go. The LiveSuite/ADB interaction issue is somewhat a hit or miss affair. Some people have had success and some haven't. There's no way to know for sure except for trying it.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
If your tablet functions after installing CWM, you should be good to go. The LiveSuite/ADB interaction issue is somewhat a hit or miss affair. Some people have had success and some haven't. There's no way to know for sure except for trying it.

Since I've ordered yet another 9742 (Newegg has a fresh stock of refurbs at a good price), it looks like the stars are right for this one then. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for all the expert help I've gotten here! I just wish I'd found this site before I found the LiveSuite SNAFU. Between you, Traveller, and Vampirefo, I don't believe I've ever seen such help.

Thanks again, Kevin

Later edit:
Whew! Success, finally. I had given up on the Mobiz ROM, couldn't get the touchscreen to work, so I flashed the original stock firmware back to it. It actually isn't all that bad, but as far as I can tell there is no way to keep it from deteriorating in performance over a period of months. I'm hoping the kernel in the Mobiz ROM supports fstrim. Anyway I finally sat down and re-read this entire thread, and found Vampirefo's patchirl.zip, and it fixed it. Now on to installing my favorite apps...

BTW, Vampirefo, the link in your sig goes to a Paypal account. Some years ago, Paypal and I had a disagreement as to how business should be done. Do you have an alternate donate link? And Traveller, do you have one that I missed?

Once again, thanks to all. These cheap Coby tablets would be nearly worthless without you guys, and I for one appreciate the hell out of your help!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't have a donation link, and don't use Paypal much, unless to send money. The thanks is enough. :)

R4ge

Sep 26, 2016

well, maybe this forum is so old, but i really have a cuestion, when i flash the boot.zip , after "android" logo my screen goes black, the tablet was ok because y hear the low battery but i cant see anithing, how can i fix that?, i can enter on CWM. and sorry for my very bad english :S...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you make a dump or, at least, a nandroid of your stock ROM prior to flashing? Did you replace the libs in the custom ROM zip with those from the stock ROM prior to flashing?

R4ge

Sep 26, 2016
Did you make a dump or, at least, a nandroid of your stock ROM prior to flashing? Did you replace the libs in the custom ROM zip with those from the stock ROM prior to flashing?
Well my misstake, i don't do a backup before flashing, well i can test anything, any idea?.

PS. I test 3 different images on live suit, all have the same result, coby logo>android logo>black screen with tablet functional
Edit: and i have test 2 zip on CWM the mobiz and the stock....

i only flash boot.img because i think that'll resolve my problem with internal memory so thank you for your help me

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@R4ge: We don't support Livesuite here. Other than the fact our root procedures and flashing methods don't require it, it can kill a tablet if ADB is used on the tablet after the fact. With your original firmware gone, unless one of the system dumps is a match for your device, and if the Livesuite/ADB interaction hasn't already killed your tablet, it's unlikely you will be able to restore this tablet to operating condition.

Given that you used Livesuite, I'm leaning toward your tablet being hard-bricked, and dead.

R4ge

Sep 26, 2016
@Traveller My second problem after flashing the boot.img was no longer the tablet started in recovery mode then had to find a starting point so that the flash with Livesuit could go back to recovery and even flash the CWM, I'm sure tablet works and I hear the sound of battery discharge and pressing around the screen could hear a sound but no idea what I done. Even when exploring the SD memory using Flash zip from internal memory of CWM I could see that applications created their directories.

I very much appreciate your help and understand that do not support livesuit.

I would appreciate any ideas you can think of and I'll try.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The problem you have is that you don't have your original ROM, and not having it makes getting this ROM working rather difficult. Since you don't have your original ROM the alternative is to download the firmware dumps we have for the tablet and, one at a time, replace the libs in the ROM with the libs from the dump. Then install the ROM. If you're lucky, the tablet will work. Otherwise, you're screwed.

R4ge

Sep 26, 2016
Well i have a question, what contain the boot.img
Where can i found the dumps of 9742-8?, I only found one :c... And don't worry, repair this tablet is a challenge :) i don't care if never start up again so i can test everythink xD... Thanks for your help, if my tablet live again i post the solution xD....

Saludos desde Yucatán