9742 Stock and Custom ROM

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Gretchen: You'll have a far easier time of things if you don't try to use the terminal on the device. Download this zip, extract the contents to a directory on the hard drive, and run the file named "root_restore".

This is essentially the same package that vampirefo sent me when I was testing Clockworkmod. The only thing added to it is a batch file that I put together which combines the various batch files and commands found in the forums into one batch file that can do it all. The only thing I never had any luck with was getting the reboot-recovery command to work, even though adb found it and executed it. To get into recovery:

1. Shut down the Kyros and do not plug in the power cord. Plugging in the power cord makes it more difficult to get into the recovery.
2. Press and hold the volume down button. Keep it held through steps 3 and 4.
3. Press and hold the power button until the Coby logo appears, then let go of the power button.
4. Wait.
5. When Clockworkmod appears (upside down), you're in. Release the volume down button.

From there you can flash vampirefo's zips. Navigation is through the volume controls. Power is the select button. Back is self explanatory.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Hi Traveller! Thanks so much to both you and Vampire for helping an extreme newbie like myself! I'm sure it must be frustrating for you that know what you are doing!

I've got the file, unpacked, and I see the root-recovery you are referring to in my file manager. So one last question - HOW do I run root_restore? (I didn't think Linux could run a .bat file?) Obviously clicking on it doesn't work. There is probably a way to do it in terminal, but I wouldn't even begin to know the command line (I took Basic in the early 90's, that's it for me!).

EDIT: I tried typing the path to the file into terminal, but got "cannot execute - Permission denied" - bummer!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My fault. I thought you were running Windows, and both batch file and utilities assume Windows since 90% of the world runs it. You'll have to convert the batch file into a script and use the Linux version of ADB to do the work.

Failing that, you'll either have to use a friend's Windows box, or create a Windows virtual machine in Linux if you want to use the batch file.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
I am running windows on my laptop. I'm supposed to open this file on my laptop? I was doing everything on the tablet.

Ok, connected Kyros to laptop. Navigated to unzipped file on kyros. Ran root_restore.

I am now looking at a black box (c prompt) that says "waiting for kyros....." and nothing is happening. :(

Last edited:

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
I am running windows on my laptop. I'm supposed to open this file on my laptop? I was doing everything on the tablet.

Ok, connected Kyros to laptop. Navigated to unzipped file on kyros. Ran root_restore.

I am now looking at a black box (c prompt) that says "waiting for kyros....." and nothing is happening. :(

Did you get an initial tone when you plugged kyro into the pc?
Did it try to install drivers, and did you point towards either the 32 or 64bit folder of adb folder?
Heres the guide I googled to install the drivers, just the early part of the guide.
If you use the actual batch file they have, your volume buttons wont work.

Edit: The feckin link would help you! :eek:
http://androidforums.com/funbook-all-things-root/545889-guide-rooting-installing-cwm-recovery.html

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Hi vampirefo.,
Ive installed both images and for me the touch screen no longer works.Its up the right way though.
In order to shut down I need to long hold the power button, stock image brings up the usual 'would you like to shut down?'
Custom rom just shuts down with a click from the speakers.
I'm gonna restore to stock via cwm to see if the screen comes back.
I'll check out the screen problems thread first.
Cheers.

Edit: Ok, restored my backup and touch screen is fine.
Having read the other thread, I'm guessing my touchscreen driver is the issue. Possibly my camera is borked too.
Any chance of step by step instructions on fixing it?
I've used livesuite to install the first image with google and adb for this thread, so newbie instructions needed, sorry!
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Did you get an initial tone when you plugged kyro into the pc?
Did it try to install drivers, and did you point towards either the 32 or 64bit folder of adb folder?
Heres the guide I googled to install the drivers, just the early part of the guide.
If you use the actual batch file they have, your volume buttons wont work.

Edit: The feckin link would help you! :eek:
[GUIDE] Rooting & Installing CWM Recovery! - Android Forums

I know this should not be so difficult, but apparently I am a super idiot!

Here is exactly what I have done:

1. Downloaded the file Traveler provided onto my pc.
2. Unzip the files.
3. Plug in the Kyros to the PC via USB
........3a. Should the Kyros be on or off? If it should be off, is there a fancy way I need to turn it on to make this work like with livesuite?
........3b. Do I want to "turn on USB Storage"?
........3c. Should the Kyros be in debugging mode?
4. Open adb folder (provided by Traveler) on the pc and click on root_restore
5. I then get a black box saying it is waiting for the Kyros.

6. Nothing else happens....

When I plug in the Kyros, yes, I do get the "connected" sound. If I tell it to "turn on USB storage" I get a wizard that pops up on the pc asking me what I want to do with it (look at files, play music, etc...)

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Yeah you need usb debugging on. That's probably your issue.
Kyro is turned on in my case.
I didn't turn on usb storage, I dropped the images to usb card via a reader.
Step one in the link I posted works for installing the actual driver, which will be what you are missing if the you still get 'waiting for kyro'. -Probably.
Good luck!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
My 9742 root and recovery files are here.

9742_root_recovery.zip

you extract to your desktop, then copy to your sdcard these files.

cwm_recovery.img

install-cwm-recovery.sh

reboot-recovery

disconnect from pc

use file manager that allows root,

copy install-cwm-recovery.sh and cwm_recovery.img to /data/local/tmp/

copy reboot-recovery to /system/bin/

open terminal

su

chmod 775 /data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

chmod 775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

reboot-recovery

you should now be in cwm recovery from there make a backup before you begin.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo.,
Ive installed both images and for me the touch screen no longer works.Its up the right way though.
In order to shut down I need to long hold the power button, stock image brings up the usual 'would you like to shut down?'
Custom rom just shuts down with a click from the speakers.
I'm gonna restore to stock via cwm to see if the screen comes back.
I'll check out the screen problems thread first.
Cheers.

Edited for clarity.

Ok so you have a different version of 9742 then Traveller1701 has, upload your system and boot.img I should be able to combine then with Traveller1701 to make a working rom fo you.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
It's a miracle!! I am currently backing up with cmw!!!! :cool:

Thank you for all of the hand holding! I realize I am probably making you want to scream. You are rock stars in my book! Now.... on to step two!

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Ok so you have a different version of 9742 then Traveller1701 has, upload your system and boot.img I should be able to combine then with Traveller1701 to make a working rom fo you.

My only issue with that is I never backed up a stock rom when I bought the thing.
I jumped straight in with livesuite and stuck on the first image with google store.
I've had issues regarding the touchscreen zooming in while browsing, and in system menu clicking the tabs as i move my finger over them.
The issues dissapper for a half hour, sometimes much longer when I go into recovery and clear cache and factory reset.

I was hoping that your stock rom via cwm would cure my issues.

I'm guessing my system and boot image would just be what steev had on his rom?

Thanks again for your help, your offer to build a rom for me is unexpected and very decent of you.

Edit: I Just saw that steev has an image that supports both touchscreen version.
I originally used the third image in his requesting firmware thread and still had a screen up the right way.
My issue with the initial rooted rom is the over sensitive touchscreen which creeps back in over time.

There would appear to be a number of touchscreen driver versions for the 9742.
Is there there a way to tell which touchscreen version I have?
Actually does it seem likely that there are so many different touchscreen versions? Is there anything else it might be in my case?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The batch file I assembled was for my own use and assumes a working knowledge of how to set up the ADB drivers on the PC so that ADB will function properly. My only reason for posting a link to the contents of my ADB directory was so that Gretchen could actually solve her problem, since I realized she was using a terminal on the 9742 instead of a PC. The commands in the batch file are virtually identical to the ones vampirefo just posted, but in a more noob-friendly format.

Sorry if I made things even MORE confusing. That wasn't my intent.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
You all did nothing but try to help, absolutely no apologies necessary! It's my fault for getting in over my head!

I backed it up. I installed the custom ROM..... it restarted, saw the Coby logo, and now it is black. Please tell me this is supposed to happen? It's been a few minutes and it looks like it is off. I'm afraid to mess with it in case something is going on behind the scenes?

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
You all did nothing but try to help, absolutely no apologies necessary! It's my fault for getting in over my head!

I backed it up. I installed the custom ROM..... it restarted, saw the Coby logo, and now it is black. Please tell me this is supposed to happen? It's been a few minutes and it looks like it is off. I'm afraid to mess with it in case something is going on behind the scenes?

That happened to me with the custom rom too, boot logo seems to be a black screen. It came up to desktop fine, but my touchscreen wont work.
Restoring the backup you made with cwm brings it back to where you were.