9742 Stock and Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You are so kind to do this, THANK YOU!!

Neither seemed to work, but I may not be doing it correctly. I boot into Clockwork Recovery and tell it to update from the sd card, then I point it to the zip file - is that correct? I did the only wipe cash thing I saw in CWM, hoping that was correct.

Oh, so when I install them (provided I did it correctly) and reboot it gets stuck on the android screen. Let it sit on that screen for more than 30 minutes and it never went any further.

it must be catching on you data, do a factory wipe data/factory reset in cwm.

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
@ Patchirl did you flash the boot.img?after flashing custom rom? I believe that would fix your touch screen problem

Hi again,
Can I use flash-tool as detailed in here:
[TUTORIAL][NOOBPROOF] Return to Stock Rom after flashing CustomRom - xda-developers

Obviously I'd be flashing the boot.img you provided.

EDIT: Tried to use flash-tool, it didnt connect when I click bootloader and flashboot button.
I'm guessing usb debugging isnt active on new rom.
Could I flash the boot image while 9742 is on in stable rom, then flash your rom?
I may have to go the script route, which I have no clue about yet.

Just as an fyi, wiping the dalvik cache via cwm may well have cured my screen issues, time will tell but its fine now apart from very image heavy pages in browsers.
I wrongly assumed that clearing the cache in regular recovery did the same due to there not being an advanced option.

So for anybody else, in cwm go into 'advanced' to clear the dalvik cache. Obvious I know, but easy to miss if inexperienced.
Thanks yet again...

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
the boot.img can be flashed via cwm just like you installed the roms, in cwm select install zip from sdcard and navigate to the 9742_boot.zip

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
it must be catching on you data, do a factory wipe data/factory reset in cwm.

Holy cow, it works! IT WORKS!! It works wonderfully! It's fast and responsive and I have all of the google aps! YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

You are all so patient and kind to help a clueless newbie like myself. I finally have a tablet that works - and works well! THANK YOU!!!!!!

kingon

Jul 9, 2012
Hello everybody,

Thanks Vampirefo for your rom.

My first try gone bad because of no touchscreen. So I've installed MID9741-8_G333_1.zip and MID9741-8_G333.zip but i was thinking "still no touchscreen".

In fact, my touchscreen was upside down in the MID9741* ROMs. I then go to /system/vendor/modules and have seen that you've put a gt801_2plus1.ko backup. So i rename the file gt801_2plus1.ko to gt801_2plus1.ko.bck and rename gt801_2plus1.ko.BAK to gt801_2plus1.ko. After a reboot, touchscreen was ok.

I then reinstall 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip and seen no gt801_2plus1.ko.BAK. So, i've pushed it (less .BAK) to /system/vendor/modules/ with adb and after a reboot, evertyhing was ok.

I did wipe dalvick and factory reset each installation time.

A "getevent -iq" tells that about my touchscreen input device:
bus: 0018
vendor dead
product beef
version 1105
name : "gt80x"
id: ""
version: 1.0.1

Best regards from paris, France

Thanks again !

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the information, so basically Coby has put out three different versions of their 9742 as of now, No way to build one rom to suite all of them, this helps to explain why some people have livesuite problems while others don't.

Hello everybody,

Thanks Vampirefo for your rom.

My first try gone bad because of no touchscreen. So I've installed MID9741-8_G333_1.zip and MID9741-8_G333.zip but i was thinking "still no touchscreen".

In fact, my touchscreen was upside down in the MID9741* ROMs. I then go to /system/vendor/modules and have seen that you've put a gt801_2plus1.ko backup. So i rename the file gt801_2plus1.ko to gt801_2plus1.ko.bck and rename gt801_2plus1.ko.BAK to gt801_2plus1.ko. After a reboot, touchscreen was ok.

I then reinstall 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip and seen no gt801_2plus1.ko.BAK. So, i've pushed it (less .BAK) to /system/vendor/modules/ with adb and after a reboot, evertyhing was ok.

I did wipe dalvick and factory reset each installation time.

A "getevent -iq" tells that about my touchscreen input device:
bus: 0018
vendor dead
product beef
version 1105
name : "gt80x"
id: ""
version: 1.0.1

Best regards from paris, France

Thanks again !

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Thanks, when i get home from work I'll wipe both caches and factory reset via Cwm.
I'll install your stock rom, wipe dalvik again and reboot.
If touch still isn't working ill factory reset again.

I'll report back at that stage!

UPDATE:

No joy. Installed MID9741-8_G333.zip. ,still no touchscreen.
Installed the boot image, no touchscreen still.
I cleared dalvik cache, system and factory reset before and after each change.

UPDATE 2:
I did a 'get event' out of curiosity.
I got the same reply as kingon, EXCEPT for the version: 28bb
Everything else reads the same.
Hope that helps.

Is it possible my fix could be the same as kingon above?
I've no idea how to do it unfortunately.....
Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@Patchirl
Ok I am looking into it, the upload you posted works for you? this is a working backup of your system?

I am having some problems with this forum today keeps telling me this forum is off line.

ok I have make a zip file for you place on sdcard boot to cwm, install the rom you want via cwm, once rom has completed it's install, then install patchirl.zip then boot to system, this should fix your touch screen.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2na6bl0scokizg

Last edited:

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
@Patchirl
Ok I am looking into it, the upload you posted works for you? this is a working backup of your system?

I am having some problems with this forum today keeps telling me this forum is off line.

ok I have make a zip file for you place on sdcard boot to cwm, install the rom you want via cwm, once rom has completed it's install, then install patchirl.zip then boot to system, this should fix your touch screen.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2na6bl0scokizg

Thanks a million.
Yeah the site was down all yesterday for me too.
Even today its slow, so I couldnt reply to you from work.
I'll check it out soon and get back to you with results.

Edit: SUCCESS!!
Thank you very much, I've never had this level of help on any other forum, at any time.
You are a credit to the androidtablets.net forums.
Thanks very much.
Kind regards,
Pat

Last edited:

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Strange one here, youtube is up the correct way but the viewing window with the video is upside down.
Real player is the same.
This is with the custom rom.
Initial start up is a bit slow, also takes a few mins to get everything running at proper speed.
Seems like it's doing a few bits when you turn it on.
Fairly smooth once it gets going though.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes roms are slow at first, it takes time for the roms to get setup correctly once setup, roms run well, I over clock my cpu, roms seem to run smoother. as far as apps running upside down, I don't know about that, I don't have a 9742. I do know from what I have read is the screens are put in upside down on the 9742, then some software is used to turn the screen right side up. So apps that follow the screen could appear upside down but to the app it is right side up.

kingon

Jul 9, 2012
Strange one here, youtube is up the correct way but the viewing window with the video is upside down.

Same here ! I didn't see it because i don't use youtube.

I over clock my cpu

Is it possible on this rom ? If yes, is there any application to use or a system file to modify ?

edit:
i succeded to overclock to 1,1Ghz with No-frills CPU Control. At 1,156, it freezes after a big load :(
It is good but not as good as i hope. Better than nothing.

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
I have installed the CWM and restored the 9742_stock image in my tablet. No touchscreen.
The workaround I did was to put the driver files in the image and reinstall the update.