9742 Stock and Custom ROM

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
I tried this rom on my 9742 for about a week and couldnt get the damn thing to run at a normal speed; it seemed SLOOOOW and unstable, I am not sure why, possibly because I didn't do a factory restore, I just wiped dalvik-cache, then dirty flashed the rom .zip and then the boot.zip

SELF INDUCED PROBLEM.

let me follow the steps and report back. Is this a full rom or modded files/system to go along with our factory rom, AKA, can I just format system, data, cache, etc.

I like that it includes dsp manager and volume+, although I dont know why you would need vol+ with dsp installed.
update:
Formatted system, data, cache, installed rom and the boot. All is working ok. It seems the rom gets hung up on something everytime it boots because even after 5 successfull boot ups and power downs, the tablet takes 2 minutes to boot. (update: it was all the apps I had on the internal SD or something with the SD. I formatted it after a boot and rom came back to normal functionality. too bad there is no menu option in recovery to format int sd.) Also wifi is slower than stock, the front camera is not detected, and most anoying of all, the video portion of any window runs upside down from youtube, flash video, mx player videos, whatever. The rom is compatible with all apps though, and I'm happy to report hardware acceleration works fantastic for games.

Thank you vampirefo for porting this rom and making it work, and thanks traveller for providing the dumps v needed to build the rom. I'd love to see this also done for cm10.... just saying...project butter would be nice.

Last edited:

jprusinol

Jul 27, 2012
Hi. Did anyone test them already? I'm with my screen inverted and my cam useless after following steev's steps. Thanks.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
I am stuck at the same point Gretchen was ("waiting for Kyros..."). I have downloaded Traveler zip file and unzipped it on my desktop. I have already turned the usb debugging on. I think the drivers are installed, since I can see my tablet files from my desktop (on USB storage mode).
I read vampirefo post #24, but I had these problems:
a) I could not find the /data/local/tmp/ on my sdcard, so I had to create the folder (and subfolders).
b) I do not know how to use the terminal (what is the terminal?? - super noobie)

Thanks again

I know this should not be so difficult, but apparently I am a super idiot!

Here is exactly what I have done:

1. Downloaded the file Traveler provided onto my pc.
2. Unzip the files.
3. Plug in the Kyros to the PC via USB
........3a. Should the Kyros be on or off? If it should be off, is there a fancy way I need to turn it on to make this work like with livesuite?
........3b. Do I want to "turn on USB Storage"?
........3c. Should the Kyros be in debugging mode?
4. Open adb folder (provided by Traveler) on the pc and click on root_restore
5. I then get a black box saying it is waiting for the Kyros.

6. Nothing else happens....

When I plug in the Kyros, yes, I do get the "connected" sound. If I tell it to "turn on USB storage" I get a wizard that pops up on the pc asking me what I want to do with it (look at files, play music, etc...)

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
I am stuck at the same point Gretchen was ("waiting for Kyros..."). I have downloaded Traveler zip file and unzipped it on my desktop. I have already turned the usb debugging on. I think the drivers are installed, since I can see my tablet files from my desktop (on USB storage mode).
I read vampirefo post #24, but I had these problems:
a) I could not find the /data/local/tmp/ on my sdcard, so I had to create the folder (and subfolders).
b) I do not know how to use the terminal (what is the terminal?? - super noobie)

Thanks again
First thing: Make sure you have the correct version of the tablet. We have 3 versions of it.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Shini, is there a way to know what is my version? I used steev's custom rom before making any backup (I had the mirror screen issue, but it's already fixed)...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you had the inverted touchscreen issue then your Kyros is a later version than Steev's ROM. The original files, if you had made a dump of them before installing Steev's ROM, would have told you which version you had since the files all have their creation date embedded within them, e.g. 20120330.

Its issues like the touchscreen that are why I asked about Clockworkmod on the 9742. Livesuit I believe has far too many drawbacks to be a good choice for flashing custom ROMs.

fadlan12

Aug 5, 2012
I just wanted to say thanks for all the details in this thread and others. Traveller and Vampire laid it all out pretty well. I orginially used Livesuite and inverted the touch responsive ness. I then spent the last 18 hrs working on it. I finally got CWM installed via adb and was able to tinker. The rom that actually worked for me was the mid9741-8 g333 zip. I had tried several of the versions and combinations of boot files and roms. Now My 9742 touch screen works and google apps is preinstalled. I don't see super user though. Any way thank you very much.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveler, is there a guide (for dummies like me) to install the Clockworkmod on 9742? I am stuck in the black box "waiting for Kyros"...
Unfortunatelly, I did not make a dump of my original ROM before installing Steev's custom ROM. Are the ROM's for the other two versions (newer ones) availiable anywhere? Thanks again for all your help. You and Vampire are the most helpfull guys I ever found in these foruns!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Sounds like you don't have the ADB drivers installed. In simple language, you have to go into device manager and change the driver to one of the drivers included in the zip file. Once you do that, the next time ADB is run it should get past the Waiting for Kyros prompt.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Sounds like you don't have the ADB drivers installed. In simple language, you have to go into device manager and change the driver to one of the drivers included in the zip file. Once you do that, the next time ADB is run it should get past the Waiting for Kyros prompt.
Traveller, with your process I can install the google play on my 9742-8?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I used the 20120429 gapps package. It's intended for 4.0.4 rather than 4.0.3 but it works perfectly fine in the 9742.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
When I installed it, on reboot it configured itself. I only had to enter my account info.