A case of disaster recovery !

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
There were several PM's asking for a way to recover from a disaster. Here is one of them:

. . . somehow I lost everything and was stuck in APX. Finnaly got it NVflashed, went thru your step by step to add CW, Vegan RC1, then it said to flash the kernal, I could not download the pershoot, so I did the clemson-calkin5, now it will not boot, It appears to shy off n APX mode after abit, recovery goes abit farther than jst starting it up. When I just start it I get the birds, the g dev, then it goes blank, but not black, it alooks kinda lite a night light.
My pc sees the usb connection but not a f:/ file I let the battery die compleatly and now I am lost. keep searching forums but not seeing this problem, Please tell me you can help or you know some one who can . . .

So, I thought that it'd be best to create a new thread which can promote a good approach toward similar situations.

The first question is : 'can you nvflash it to stock rom ?'

If yes, then try this nvflash4349rev4.zip . Detailed Instructions included in download. It will bring the tablet to 1.2.4349 with 1.2 bootloader and clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 ver 5. Most rom's are on, or being moved to, 1.2 bootloader base. So, this procedure will place the tablet in a good state to flash any rom that is based on 1.2 bootloader.

If you can do the above, then after the completion, stop and return with question about a rom that you intend to use. We then move forward cautiously to get you to where you want to be.

If you cannot do the above, return with details what you have seen while trying the above.

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
There were several PM's asking for a way to recover from a disaster. Here is one of them:

So, I thought that it'd be best to create a new thread which can promote a good approach toward similar situations.

The first question is : 'can you nvflash it to stock rom ?'

If yes, then try this nvflash4349rev4.zip . Detailed Instructions included in download. It will bring the tablet to 1.2.4349 with 1.2 bootloader and clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 ver 5. Most rom's are on, or being moved to, 1.2 bootloader base. So, this procedure will place the tablet in a good state to flash any rom that is based on 1.2 bootloader.

If you can do the above, then after the completion, stop and return with question about a rom that you intend to use. We then move forward cautiously to get you to where you want to be.

If you cannot do the above, return with details what you have seen while trying the above.

Dave,

Thanks Dave. It will give us a good go to place for a hairy recovery. Especially me. I tend to "break 'em" good.

We may want to sticky this.

sent from my CM7 Gtablet using Tapatalk

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
at this point no, my pc sees the usb drive, but it is not opening a file, device manager is showing NVmediamobile, if you open my computer it shows a J; file but then it asks me to insert a disk , so it is seeing the usb but something is not telling the computer where to put it would be the best way I can explain it
Thanking you again Jaye

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Please download the file in the original post, extract it to your desktop, read the readme_first.txt, then follow it.
Can you do that ?
You performed nvflash before ?

Dave

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
yes I have nv flashed from G tab for Dummies
I am downloading as we speak but may not be able to try till Tue
I will keep my fingers crossed.
Thank you again Jaye

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Dave, it my be in usb debugging which may be why my pc is not seeing it, but I can not boot far enough to turn that off.
hope this helps I am trying to research
Jaye

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dave, it my be in usb debugging which may be why my pc is not seeing it, but I can not boot far enough to turn that off.
hope this helps I am trying to research
Jaye

If you refer to the usb debug mode in setting, then it has nothing to do with the state you are in.

You said that you flashed Vegan RC1 (gingerbread rom)
Then could not download Pershoot (kernel)
Therefore you flashed Clemsyn + Calkulin 5 (froyo rom)
Then it won't boot . . .

I can see that you are very confusing, and making error by guessing.
Stop all that.

Try the path that was outlined in the first post and let us know the result.

Dave

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Crapped out on an install of HoneyComb (Flashback 7.2)... :mad: Got NVFlash up and recovered to 4349 on the 1.2bl (installed the drivers when I fired up the tab the first time). Piece of cake (literally, first try) :p . Figured I'd give you guys an update.... BTW, I used Roebeet's instructions here. They will make anyone's life with NVFlash much easier.

*edit* Update works much better when going from stock 4349.... It should say that you MUST start from a 4349 1.2bl image to install Flashback 7.2

-Mike

Last edited:

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Dave, trying all over again. tried 3 pcs. when I try to install APX driver I get "winusbcoinstaller.dll" error
can not find this anywhere
been looking
thank you again Jaye

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Did you use the download file that I posted?
Did you try the usb driver that is included in that file?
How did you nvflash before?

Get back to us with the details of what you did, step by step, so we would guide you.

Dave,

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
You MUST follow the step by step, otherwise no bueno. :(

sent from my FlashBack 7.2 Gtablet using Tapatalk

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Yes I used the download you gave me. It took several times before my PC saw my tablet the first time I flashed. Now the device manager saw the USB and it loaded the APX driver. Said new hardware installed and ready to use. so step 1 c/w.
Ok now I have the file downloaded the file unzipped it. Awaiting next step
Thanking eveyone in advance
Jaye

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Ok, this has been a foolproof method for me to bring the gTablet to baseline before major ROM change. Thanks jazzruby for some tweak suggestions and roebeet for some of the original files.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this process, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device. You agree that only you are responsible and no one else is responsible for supporting you if that occurs. BUT, I will try and help you get out of trouble, but you have to let me know. ;-) Please note that this process WILL DELETE ALL OF THE CURRENT DATA on your gTablet.

PRE-INSTALL - Backup All User Apps with Titanium Backup - Copy Entire Internal SDCard to PC

1. Please follow the standard posted steps for setting up the NVFlash Windows USB drivers needed to talk to the gTab. The drivers are included in this package.

2. Make sure your BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED. Connect your USB cable to the gTab and then to USB port on your PC. Push/Hold Power button and Volume- (down) keys at same time. The screen should go blank and you should hear an audible connection sound on PC if successful. Go to your Control Panel, and then System, and then Device Manager. You should see the Android device registered without exclamation mark.

3. Open the folder created from the zip extraction and find the file 'NVFlash_gTablet.bat' and double-click. Watch the new command window to follow the NVFlash process. If everything completes as designed, you may then continue and Shut-Down gTab by holding power button and disconnect USB cable from gTab and PC.

4. Start up tablet by holding power key and volume+ keys and enter Clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 rev 5. Run all of the wipe functions that are listed and then go into advanced section. Clear dalvik cache and then repartition sdcard to 4096 and 0 and then again 2048 and 0. Finish off with the 'fix permissions' step.

5. Now, while still in ClockworkMod, go to Mounts and storage, re-connect gTab to PC with USB cable and 'Mount USB storage'. Now go to PC and open My Computer to see the new drive letter it created (different on some systems). Copy the 1.2 ROM update.zip file from the ROM you want to install onto that drive letter. When copying is complete, 'Unmount USB storage' in ClockworkMod and disconnect gTab from PC.

6. Use the return/back key in ClockworkMod to go back to the main menu and select update from update.zip and keep an eye on the text output. If all goes well, then select 'reboot sytem now' with home button.

Be advised that the intial boot of any new rom will take a lot longer than subsequent boots. I suggest giving it around 3-5 mins before you start using it.

Please let me know if any of this text needs to be changed. Have fun with new ROM.

Alright, the above is the readme file that is included in the download.
Now, please tell us that you are able to complete steps 1 and 2 above, is it correct ?

Now, start step 3. If windows does not open the CMD windows, then you will need to manually start a CMD session and run the 'nvflash_gtablet.bat'. Am I clear enough?

Dave,

Edit: I did post an older readme file earlier. The correct readme file is shown above. Sorry.

Last edited:

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Dave, Thank you very much I have made it through step 3, trying to find this file ClockworkMod.bat' in step 4
Thank you all again

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dave, Thank you very much I have made it through step 3, trying to find this file ClockworkMod.bat' in step 4
Thank you all again

Excellent !

Please read my post #13 again.
Step 3 installs both the stock 1.2.4349 as well as cwm 3.0.2.8.
Now proceed to step 4. Again, read the post again fully.

When you completed step 4, come back and tell us what rom you want to use.

Dave

Last edited: