a few issues...please help!

bnjr

Aug 15, 2011
I just bought an acer A500 and I am having issues with a few things.....please help me if you can!

1. Yahoo home page some times opens the right way then other times opens up in a format i have never seen.

2. i cannot save pictures from my sd card reader? I can view no problems but I want to save some on my tablet.

3. I attached an external hard drive and it downloaded everything. I only want to view the external hard drives files.

hope someone can help me!!!

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Sounds like you need to experiment some just like the rest of us have.
As for saving photos from your sd card, or actually the external sd card, you first need a file manager.
Then you find the file in the manager and click and hold on it till it gives you options.
Click edit or copy, depending on your file manager and then go to the folder you want to save it in and paste it there.
Different file managers probably do this in different ways.
As for it downloading everything from your external hard drive, I doubt it did that.
It would have read what was on the drive without downloading anything.
How many gigs on the external Drive?
If it's more than 14 or 15 gigs then it is impossible that a 16 gig, if that's the one you have, tablet could download it.
As for yahoo, it may be loading sometimes as a mobile page thinking you are accessing it from a mobile phone with android.
There is a thread dealing with that. follow this link
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...19781-having-issues-going-full-web-sites.html

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
There's an app on the tablet called "Music" which will automatically catalog all the tunes on your hard drive. The files remain on the external hard drive. That might be what the OP saw happen. It also could become a problem, since you won't immediately see which files are on the tablet and which ones are on an external drive, when you try to play them.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I just bought an acer A500 and I am having issues with a few things.....please help me if you can!

1. Yahoo home page some times opens the right way then other times opens up in a format i have never seen.

2. i cannot save pictures from my sd card reader? I can view no problems but I want to save some on my tablet.

3. I attached an external hard drive and it downloaded everything. I only want to view the external hard drives files.

hope someone can help me!!!

1) Yahoo senses that you are on a mobile device and shows that page. Try the URL Yahoo!

2)Download ES File Explorer free from the market. Play with it long enough to learn how to copy and paste from the the SD Card reader. Consider buying a MicroSD card to store all your photos on.

3) No, it didn't do that. Simply unplug it, and wait a while until it clears its cache and you will not see any content from the external hard drive.

If you have never played with the Unix/Linux file system you might not understand that when you plug in a drive of any kind it is placed in the directory tree, and looks like just another subdirectory. There is no such thing as Drive Letters. All media gets attached in the directory tree, and the system scans those areas for things it knows how to deal with, like movies, music, pictures. It totally ignores thing it doesn't understand, like .EXE files.

Normally you operate in the /sdcard subdirectory. But when you install a file manager you will find that /sdcard is merely a shortcut to the directory /mnt/sdcard. All external devices as well as your Add In MicroSD card end up being attached in the /mnt subdirectory.

File Managers allow you to move things to and from any of the sub directories that appear in /mnt.

bnjr

Aug 15, 2011
Hi Icebike,

I am starting to think I have a lemon. I did what you said and I cannot even find the card reader but yet the gallery can?? I am starting to feel stupid. I am so frustrated with this tablet, if i was not on holidays i would have returened it but it will be passed the date when I get home so I am stuck with it. I thought it would be more practical then this.

Any other suggestions?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
I am starting to feel stupid.

No reason for that, many of us are first timers to Android and it's just clicking around till we get the hang of it & of course as you have asking questions here. I must admit it is intimidating at times!

Have you done all the things suggested above?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
First, calm down.
If the gallery can find the cardreader that is your proof that there is nothing wrong with your tablet.

Follow these steps exactly

Download and install Es file explorer from the market (if you haven't already)
With the cardreader plugged in Open ES file explorer
Tap the symbol that looks like a MicroSD card (far left). If you don't see this Little MicroSD symbol then tap the little icon on the far right side.
Now look for a directory named /mnt and tap it.
In that directory you will see a directory named usb_storage. Tap that directory.
Now you are looking at your card reader's data.

Also don't be plugging and unplugging the cardreader all the time because you can get the tablet confused and it will need a reboot.

Last edited:

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Stick with the tablet. you cant break it so keep experimenting.
My advice is to stop thinking it works the same way as a win/mac machine. Sure some things are similar but you will have to learn a fair bit.
Tablets are not laptops Android ones anyway.

bnjr

Aug 15, 2011
Ok......after another few hours of playing around and more research on the internet i have found a file manager that i can understand and can find my pictures!!!! Finally!! Thanks for the help!:)

Has anyone tried attaching a picture on yahoo email? It does not give me the option, is it in a different place? Firefox has it there but it freezes when i try.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Which File Manager did you find?

I haven't tried to attach a pic. with Yahoo Mail but will. However I can with the pop3 email client.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Ok......after another few hours of playing around and more research on the internet i have found a file manager that i can understand and can find my pictures!!!! Finally!! Thanks for the help!:)

Has anyone tried attaching a picture on yahoo email? It does not give me the option, is it in a different place? Firefox has it there but it freezes when i try.

Yahoo? Its a Google world, why not use Gmail? :p

But if you insist on using Yahoo, the built in Mail app works great.

It knows how to set up a yahoo account in totally easy steps. All you need is your email address and password. It does the rest.

Then when you want to compose an email it has a paperclip icon, tap that, select picture, then select gallery, and tap your photo. EasyPasey.

Don't be using a web browser for this. Use the mail app that is built in.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
File Manager HD. its very easy.

Just remember File Manager HD presents a false picture of your tablet file structure to you. You never learn anything using that software about the actual layout of storage and memory in the tablet. Sooner or later, as you gain more experience, it will lead you into a great deal of confusion about where things are really stored.Android is linux. Devices in Linux are shown as directories. You've stepped away from the windows world when you got an android device, and you have to put aside your windows ways. :)

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Tried attaching a file with Yahoo mail. Worked fine just as it does with my PC.

Did you go to yahoo.com or use an app?

Even though it worked the stock or gmail client is much better.

bbarlow26

Aug 21, 2011
i can help with the mobile view of website touch the options icon at the very top right of the screen click on settings then click advanced from a menu will come down the forth option down on list is viewing mode click on it and choose desktop then your done. hope this helps