A Honeycomb thread (lets move all conversations we are having here)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
OK, I have the power of speech again.

I'm just floored at how good the browser is...how smooth the screen transitions are. I guess, with all the speculation about "hardware minima" that I thought 3.0 would be out of reach. But the Nook makes it look so do-able!!!

Vic, have you installed a working Market?

-Matt

Running Honeycomb (android 3.0) as well. It's beautiful, polished looking and smooth to be running on a sd card. The profile and style of the OS goes well with the overall look of the NC. :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I am so eager for my new sdhc to arrive in the mail so I can play in this sandbox, too!

Running Honeycomb (android 3.0) as well. It's beautiful, polished looking and smooth to be running on a sd card. The profile and style of the OS goes well with the overall look of the NC. :)

rico & others - what have you found to be 'unavailable' or 'non-functioning' so far?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Just installed an older version of youtube...it almost plays and then force-closes. :( Also installed Flash, but not working in the browser yet...

Another thing that makes me excited is how extensive the system options are. I really feel like I'm under the hood now!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I am so eager for my new sdhc to arrive in the mail so I can play in this sandbox, too!

rico & others - what have you found to be 'unavailable' or 'non-functioning' so far?
The sdcard image lacks all the Google Experience apps (except for Contacts)...Gmail, calendar, Maps, Market... At the moment, since I'm booting from the card anyway, I'm content to just poke around. I tried installing a number of apps with ADB and let's see...youtube (though it doesn't play), Dolphin browser, even Zeam installed, though with this gorgeous UI not sure I'd use an alternate launcher! I was actually shocked that ADB worked with no fiddling.

Have to give it back to my wife now. :( When I get a chance to boot again I'll do a more extensive test of working vs. non-working apps.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

Angry Birds...no joy (won't even install)
Nook Reader...no joy (It opens, sees the books, even downloaded a book, but when I opened the book...a waiting icon then a force close)
Kindle App...no joy
Youtube...no joy (sees videos in list, but won't play)
CNET News...joy!
CNET TV...no joy (won't even install, force close on vending.apk)
ASTRO...installed, but won't see anything...so no joy! (Edit: Astro worked after a reboot...JOY!)
Adobe Photoshop express...Joy...didn't have any photos to edit.
Dropbox...joy!

Edit:

Google Books...no joy! (actually forced a reboot loop, had to hold down power button until it shut off)

Edit 2:

Cool Reader (which I am liking more and more as my daily reader) Joy! (i used dropbox to move a epub book over and it opened fine..)

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Very cool... I am getting very anxious for my new SD card to get here so I can play, too!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Alright I have a question. Where do i find a guide to use adb on a mac? I saw the pc guide in the one stickie but no mac. Sorry if i missed it somewhere...or can i just use root explorer to put vending in system/app folder when i try honeycomb?

sent from my rooted nook color

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Alright I have a question. Where do i find a guide to use adb on a mac? I saw the pc guide in the one stickie but no mac. Sorry if i missed it somewhere...or can i just use root explorer to put vending in system/app folder when i try honeycomb?

sent from my rooted nook color
Steve, there's instructions for installing ADB on OSX here: NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs, but not sure if you already have it installed and wanted instructions on running it. I'd assume once you open a command shell, the instructions are the same as for PC?

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Steve, there's instructions for installing ADB on OSX here: NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs, but not sure if you already have it installed and wanted instructions on running it. I'd assume once you open a command shell, the instructions are the same as for PC?

-Matt

Yes I have the sdk already. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks Matt!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Angry Birds...no joy (won't even install)
Nook Reader...no joy (It opens, sees the books, even downloaded a book, but when I opened the book...a waiting icon then a force close)
Kindle App...no joy
Youtube...no joy (sees videos in list, but won't play)
CNET News...joy!
CNET TV...no joy (won't even install, force close on vending.apk)
ASTRO...installed, but won't see anything...so no joy! (Edit: Astro worked after a reboot...JOY!)
Adobe Photoshop express...Joy...didn't have any photos to edit.
Dropbox...joy!

Edit:

Google Books...no joy! (actually forced a reboot loop, had to hold down power button until it shut off)

Edit 2:

Cool Reader (which I am liking more and more as my daily reader) Joy! (i used dropbox to move a epub book over and it opened fine..)
Vic, thanks for the app list...if things progress, maybe we should sticky a comprehensive list?

Oh, dumb question: since this is a "live" version (booted from sdcard), I'd guess no changes are permanent. By that of course I mean to the sdcard image (not the internal memory, as you already noted). Sorry...let me say this in English: I assume that any changes--in particular, if you install an app--are not saved to the sdcard. So when you reboot (I've only booted once so far) you start over with the original HC settings and apps. Is that right?

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Vic, thanks for the app list...if things progress, maybe we should sticky a comprehensive list?

Oh, dumb question: since this is a "live" version (booted from sdcard), I'd guess no changes are permanent. By that of course I mean to the sdcard image (not the internal memory, as you already noted). Sorry...let me say this in English: I assume that any changes--in particular, if you install an app--are not saved to the sdcard. So when you reboot (I've only booted once so far) you start over with the original HC settings and apps. Is that right?

-Matt

with v2 there is room to save on the sd card now, and I had to do a hard reboot a couple times last night and everything stayed...but I don't know about once the sd card is removed...I will test that this morning.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

-Matt

Changes, app installs and settings are permanent; you are writing/pushing/editing OS code on the sd card. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Changes, app installs and settings are permanent; you are writing/pushing/editing OS code on the sd card. :)

That is what I thought, but I would rather give "I don't know but will find out" than bad info.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
While home at lunch today watching SportsCenter, I decided to take another short video: My NC - Honeycomb boot up and working demonstration.

Last edited by a moderator:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
While home at lunch today watching SportsCenter, I decided to take another short video: My NC - Honeycomb boot up and working demonstration.

great video rico!

Did anyone see the updated video of the NC vs. Galaxy Tab on youtube...very favorable

Last edited by a moderator: