A minimalist "case"

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I really don't want any of the cases I've seen for the Acer, or really any tablet I've seen. I'm not a fan of the ones for the iPad either. Too bulky...

I have a Zagg invisible Shield screen protector that I'm generally happy with (I'm happier with it now than I was when I first applied it...it's "broken in" now).

I've been trying to find a source for some sort of rubberized sheet with adhesive backing to put on the back of the unit to make it feel less slippery in my hand. Granted, I've seen other devices that are WAY more slippery (the ancient compaq iPaq comes to mind...remember that thing? It was like handling an ice cube :))

It would be ideal if there was some aftermarket product that was purpose built for such an application but I'm certainly not above making something myself...wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last! :) I'm just having trouble finding the right material. I went to Lowe's and found stuff that was close (contact paper for lining kitchen drawers) but the stuff that had adhesive backing wasn't rubberized and vice versa.

Basically I'm looking for a way to make the whole unit have a slightly more tacky feel. The screen protector goes some way to accomplishing that for the front but the back still needs attention.

If I figure something out, maybe I'll market it! :)

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
That's in the ballpark and actually cooler than what I had envisioned but I don't know if I want to spring for 55 bucks worth! :) I just measured and for it to fit perfectly between all the stuff on the back, it needs to be 6" X 7". I'd cut a hole out of the center for the acer logo to show through, more for smoothness than from any desire to show off my brand-bling :)

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Sell the leftover here for others that want to do the same thing.
They do it on the boating forums all the time with large sheets of King Starboard material and leftover Sunbrella material that one member purchased.
Divide the master sheet into twelve 19.5"x13" squares and sell the remaining eleven pieces for $7 each and you'll be getting your piece for free.

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
I use Sticky Pads.
They stick like adhesive, yet don't leave a residue. Simply wash to renew their stickiness.
I use them on my phone, once in a while they will come undone in pocket, but rare.
I think I got mine as Best Buy.

HandStands - Sticky Pad

Dart

May 2, 2011
That is exactly what I was thinking! I have the $39 case but after a few weeks I stopped using it. Too bulky and it looked ugly. I carry mine across campus all day long for meetings and I just need something sticky on the back as you said. Although something that would allow me to lay it on a desk and angle it up so I can type on it would be useful too.

Keep us informed!
Dart

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
Dart, that's the only thing I'd kinda like is some way to prop the thing up but I think I'll do OK without it...

Wow! I really like that woodgrain...and the carbon fiber. If I can't find a rubberized solution I may go that route...when you get it let me know if it makes the back surface less slippery.