A Non-Authoritative Android Tablet Buying List: What to Get, What to Avoid (2010)

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Exaueious, Thanks for the list, its great! I notice that Archos is getting a bit of a hammering over in the Archos area around flakey wireless connections and someone suggested it didn't have enough storage for games in this post. Have either of these points changed your view on these devices or do you still think they are a good proposition. I didn't really undersatnd the wireless issue. I just want to do email read books surf and watch streamed movies.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Wireless issue with certain wireless routers and configurations. Unfortunately, even with that in mind, it is still the most complete device you can get today.

It's not exactly a 5 star recommendation.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Wireless issue with certain wireless routers and configurations. Unfortunately, even with that in mind, it is still the most complete device you can get today.

It's not exactly a 5 star recommendation.

True but it was 4 stars last time I looked. I had mixed emotions this morning when I got a notice from Canada Post saying my Archos 70 was on the way after a 1 month wait and then I read all the wireless issues on the forum. I'll just have to be patient now and wait and see for myself.

PS Been playing with Swype on my phone and I think that will be very useful on a tablet.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Removing the gentouch from my list until I get some sort of confirmation of a working clockwork mod recovery and the status of the quality of the new revision.

Coby is definitely the better choice for a TCC8902 platform

digitaldope

Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for all the research and info -- very informative. RE: Coby 7005 = ARM 1176 cpu; Coby 7015 = TTC 8902 cpu. Is there any significant difference ? I am debating which unit to get -- I would like one that has OS upgrade ability. Also I have heard that the battery in the 7005 has a max recharge factor of 300x, then has to be returned to Coby for a replacement which costs $. If this all so, do you know if the same is true for the 7015?

denniston

Dec 19, 2010

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I do not know if the quality is significantly different between the 7015 and 7005. They are very similar devices. I would try the MID7005 for out of the box stability, but the MID7015 for better overall design.

I am not recommending any mid-end 10" tablets. You are much better off getting a small tablet with a Cortex A8 CPU.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I wonder if it is ready yet. The W7 actually looks pretty good on paper. Capacitive variants of the Freescale iMX515 are still undergoing tuning phases at most factories.

I have had conversations with the marketing team of Synrgic before. They seem a decent bunch.

Please note that in Android 2.2, Arabic characters will not be linked, but you will see the fonts just fine. Synrgic may have some interest in setting you up for that.

I am not sure what the bands for Afghanistan, but make sure that it matches. No one has seen the actual product yet.