A question for those who switched from rooted 1.0.1 to rooted 1.1

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Hi all,
For those of you who were running the 1.10 autonootered nook (with an O/C kernel maybe), and then took the plunge, by whatever method, to upgrade to 1.1 rooted....

Outside of the satisfaction that we experience upon successful completion of complex tech tasks, does rooted 1.1 really feel like an "upgrade"? I've read plenty of posts of things that are slightly worse (though there are workarounds). And have not read much about what's better (besides pinch-to-zoom in native browser).

Not criticising, just wondering if it's really worth the time for me, since I don't have much of that these days...

Last edited:

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
In my view, not really. The pinch to zoom is nice, but I got more out of it, just being able to upgrade it.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
There are always unmentioned bug fixes in updates like this, and I find it is usually a good idea to keep your hardware updated.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
The reason that I did it is so I could use WiFi without B&N pushing the update on me. I did not like the idea of tricking the system into thinking that it was already updated or other methods to block the 1.1 update. Just felt better doing the Auto-Nooter for 1.1.0.

Cheers,
kev

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just a quick double check on the 1.1 update process since I have read so much on here it is all blending together at this point. First some back ground.

Running 1.0.1 with CWR OC to 1.1GHz. I have been using on WIFI with out an update blocking mod as it hasn't really concerned me and I haven't been hit with an OTA update. Actually I believe there is overbolwn worry about this update being forced unless you visit a B&N in which case it seems to get you. Either that or flashing CWR does the job of blocking the update as has been speculated.

Can I simply side load the 1.1 update causing a broken root and then auto-nooter>restore with CWR to bring my nook back to its current state? I realize I could use the 1.1rom as well but it seems the Market functionality is better with the auto-nooter 1.1 method.

Thanks,

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So this is interesting, I have side loaded the B&N 1.1 update to the root folder on the Nook and so far nothing is happening. It has already had a sleep and been brought back without an auto install. I am going to wait and see what happens but for now it seems like it isn't doing any sort of auto unzip and install.

I may either have to uninstall CWR to get it to go or use the 1.1rom method. I think I might try to uninstall CWR and see how that goes.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
So this is interesting, I have side loaded the B&N 1.1 update to the root folder on the Nook and so far nothing is happening. It has already had a sleep and been brought back without an auto install. I am going to wait and see what happens but for now it seems like it isn't doing any sort of auto unzip and install.

I may either have to uninstall CWR to get it to go or use the 1.1rom method. I think I might try to uninstall CWR and see how that goes.

Once you installed CWR, the auto update won't happen. From your current position, flashing the ROM is quick. Or you can uninstall CWR but you will need to unroot, update to 1.1.0 then reroot with Autonooter 3.0. If you want 1.1.0 - just flash the new ROM.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Once you installed CWR, the auto update won't happen. From your current position, flashing the ROM is quick. Or you can uninstall CWR but you will need to unroot, update to 1.1.0 then reroot with Autonooter 3.0. If you want 1.1.0 - just flash the new ROM.

Thanks for the confimation on the update since it wasn't clear if CWR did actually block the OTA update and I don't recall seeing anything about it preventing an intentional side loaded update.

I might do the rom since that is easier. But I don't have any experience with unrooting, restoring, removing or otherwise going back so it would be a learning process. I have been pretty lucky so far with only having to root once. It might be nice to know how to do the rest should I ever mess something up. Of course, I could just wait until I do mess up as I am sure it is bound to happen :)

Jan

Feb 7, 2011
Hi,
I am new and just rooted my nook. Running 1.0.1 and have not installed CWR. My WiFi is turned off. If the update comes through, can I reroot to 1.1.0 using the Autonooter 3.0? What is the best way to proceed from here? Any help is much appreciated.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Hi,
I am new and just rooted my nook. Running 1.0.1 and have not installed CWR. My WiFi is turned off. If the update comes through, can I reroot to 1.1.0 using the Autonooter 3.0? What is the best way to proceed from here? Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome! And you will love your NC...

Since you are currently running 1.0.1 unRooted, your best bet from this point is to completely read the sticky thread here in the Technical Thread, as well as the Rooting Info thread on the main Nook forum. I'd link them but my link-fu skills are slim on this keyboard. :)

Sorry for not giving more info at the time, but there are already a few write-ups on the process and i'm sure they already did a better job than what I can do. But don't be afraid to ask questions!

Jan

Feb 7, 2011
I am already rooted..used autonooter 2.12.25. Just not sure of the best way to proceed to get the update and then re-root.
Thanks.
Jan

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Jan, there hasn't been a lot of talk on the best way to go about updating and rooting, mostly just rooting from the various B&N versions. If you are happy where you are at with 1.0.1 then you will want to follow the ClockWork Mod thread to prevent the auto update. However since it sounds like you are wanting to upgrade to 1.1 and reroot then I can see two ways. *First get an app like Titanium Backup and back everything up to SD (the default location for backups).*

1. Restore back to stock 1.0.0 then follow B&N's insturctions on updating to 1.1. Once at 1.1 run autonooter v3.

2. Try installing the 1.1 update using B&N's instructions (place the unzipped file in the root folder of the internal nook memory). This should break root at which point you will need to run auto nooter v3.

Eitherway, I beleive you should be able to get to 1.1 rooted.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am already rooted..used autonooter 2.12.25. Just not sure of the best way to proceed to get the update and then re-root.
Thanks.
Jan

Hi Jan, there hasn't been a lot of talk on the best way to go about updating and rooting, mostly just rooting from the various B&N versions. If you are happy where you are at with 1.0.1 then you will want to follow the ClockWork Mod thread to prevent the auto update. However since it sounds like you are wanting to upgrade to 1.1 and reroot then I can see two ways. *First get an app like Titanium Backup and back everything up to SD (the default location for backups).*

1. Restore back to stock 1.0.0 then follow B&N's insturctions on updating to 1.1. Once at 1.1 run autonooter v3.

2. Try installing the 1.1 update using B&N's instructions (place the unzipped file in the root folder of the internal nook memory). This should break root at which point you will need to run auto nooter v3.

Eitherway, I beleive you should be able to get to 1.1 rooted.

Not entirely true J5...

Jan, you can also install the pre-rooted ROM found in the XDA forums here:

[ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers

I personally don't care for that ROM, but it is certainly a viable way of getting the 1.1 update without breaking root or starting over from scratch. (Me not caring for that ROM is a personal choice as it changed the way I did things on my NC, but should not deter others from using it.)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, that is not entirely true but would require the Clockwork Mod. I was talking about updating without using a ROM manager since I got the impression that was what was being asked.

I think going the ROM route is a great idea if that is what you want to do since it allows complete back ups, overclocking and more potential with customs ROMs and as Vic pointed out would not require a re-root to get to B&N 1.1. If you are not ready for that however, you will have to re-root to get to 1.1 with out the pre-rooted ROM as far as I am aware.

I hope that helps.

-JP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Not entirely true J5...

Jan, you can also install the pre-rooted ROM found in the XDA forums here:

[ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers

I personally don't care for that ROM, but it is certainly a viable way of getting the 1.1 update without breaking root or starting over from scratch. (Me not caring for that ROM is a personal choice as it changed the way I did things on my NC, but should not deter others from using it.)

Just curious, but in what ways did the Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 ROM change the way you did things on your Nook Color?