A Stupid Question

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Chaps, and ladies too,

I'm going to ask a very stupid question - especially for someone like me who is suppose to know this stuff.

Is it possible to have both ANDROID TABLET & ANDROID PHONE using the same email address?

I ask this because I just bought a new ANDROID phone/handset and I'm having a few problems.

If I HOTSPOT the phone so that I can get the A500 to use the phone for internet access, does that change things?

I seem to be able to connect but when I try get on to google it doesn't seem to be able get on to google.

Any suggestions?:confused::confused::confused:

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
Chaps, and ladies too,

I'm going to ask a very stupid question - especially for someone like me who is suppose to know this stuff.

Is it possible to have both ANDROID TABLET & ANDROID PHONE using the same email address?

I ask this because I just bought a new ANDROID phone/handset and I'm having a few problems.

If I HOTSPOT the phone so that I can get the A500 to use the phone for internet access, does that change things?

I seem to be able to connect but when I try get on to google it doesn't seem to be able get on to google.

Any suggestions?:confused::confused::confused:

Set up gmail on both devices with the same email address. I am able to access mine with both. Make sure to set your desired preferences on both devices also.

Hope this helps.

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Some carriers try to block tethering if your plan doesn't allow it. Try using your hotspot with a laptop to check it.

Currently I have a LG my touch, huawei s7 and a500 all with the same gmail account with no problems.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
Just make sure you are not using POP3 email protocol, which will result in emails going only to one device.
The stock gmail app will be fine on multiple devices. Same for Outlook/Exchange.
Use IMAP for accounts that don't support push email.

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
To further answer your question with another stupid question, does your carrier allow you to use your hot spot with your current data plan?
The reason I ask is this - Version was not very clear that I could not use my wifi hot spot without a separate plan - or that's the way one person explained it. Another CS person said I would have to give up my unlimited data plan to get one that allowed wifi hot spotting. They kept saying "yeah, no problem" until after I signed and about 2 months later when I tried to use it. Currently, my A500 will connect to my phone, but does absolutely nothing. No wifi access at all.
Good luck.

Scubaboyc, bad form to hijack a thread... The answer though is that you can go online to My Verizon and add the $30/month 4G Mobile Hotspot feature to your unlimited data plan and you will have unlimited data and hotspot and conform to Verizon's TOS.

The likely reason your tablet can't use your phone may be that the phone is an ad hoc wi-fi, not a true access point. The tablet needs to be rooted with a new /system/bin/wpa_supplicant file installed. That was the main reason I rooted.

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
Scuba, here are your choices for Verizon that don't involve changing your unlimited data plan:

1. Keep your unlimited data plan for your phone and don't tether (complies with Verizon's TOS).
2. Keep your unlimited data plan for your phone, root and tether the tablet (violates Verizon's TOS).
3. Keep your unlimited data plan for your phone, add additional $30 Mobile Broadband Connect tethering plan (complies with Verizon's TOS).

If you are tethering and re-directed to the Verizon website, it's because Verizon has detected you aren't complying with Verizon's TOS.

The key part of the TOS is this:
Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal
computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Scubaboyc, bad form to hijack a thread... The answer though is that you can go online to My Verizon and add the $30/month 4G Mobile Hotspot feature to your unlimited data plan and you will have unlimited data and hotspot and conform to Verizon's TOS.

The likely reason your tablet can't use your phone may be that the phone is an ad hoc wi-fi, not a true access point. The tablet needs to be rooted with a new /system/bin/wpa_supplicant file installed. That was the main reason I rooted.
Well no Scoobs did bring up some valid points in his question too. But to answer his question he should keep his plan with the data - thats the way it is here.

My provider has that allowance - 3GB peak and 4GB off peak.

My original handset was a nokia n97 mini. My new handset is a HTC EVO 3D and I'm not sure if I have set it up properly. I can googele with the phone, receive emails and etc. My A500 does the same if I connect to my network and Macdonalds'.

The A500 and the phone connect to each no problem (at 75mb) but I'm just checking to make sure I haven't done something stupid - which I suspect that I have.

Thanks
Douvie. :confused::confused: