A tablet in a remote village?

ame

Feb 10, 2013
Hello everyone,

I just joined, and since this is the #1 Android Tablet Community I thought it would be a great place to ask some questions. I don't have a tablet, but I have several applications in mind.

Firstly, I am curious about the capabilities of Android. Many people like to take their Android device and install Linux (where possible). This procedure is currently under development, but I am unsure what it gains you. After all, the Android device as-purchased is fully functional. So, what does installing Linux do for you as a tablet owner/user that Android does not already do?

Secondly, is a network connection crucial to using the tablet? If I buy a tablet, then take it somewhere remote, will it work? If I load up some content on the tablet, such as videos, pdfs, photos, documents, I should be able to view/edit them anywhere, right?

Thirdly, how does one back up the data on the tablet. For example, if I take some photos, or if I write a document, can I back up to a Micro SD card easily?

Fourthly, is Android multi-user? i.e. can I configure the tablet with several usernames and passwords and each user can log in when they want to use it and have their own files kept separately from other users who might use the tablet?

These questions are all related to a project I am working on, but it's a bit technical, and is based on not having a network, which is something we all take for granted, so maybe only a few people here are interested.

Imagine a village in a remote area with no educational material. Imagine a small central server with a wifi access point. The server is not connected to a network, but it has a 1Tb drive (because they are cheap) full of educational and reference material. Imagine a handful of tablets with wifi are available. The users can connect to a webserver running on the server and view the locally-stored educational and reference material. They can run a wordprocessor and make notes or write documents about what they are doing. Can an off-the-shelf tablet do this?

The next step might be email. Set up a store-and-forward email service with links to the next village, and eventually to the internet. Can a user send and receive their own email via POP and SMTP and store it on the tablet? Can they back it up easily?

Naturally this all has to be cheap, but this is almost a given, due to the massive economies of scale achieved by the popularity and size of the tablet market. If we choose a tablet almost at random, say the Pipo S3, it's about $120.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If anyone has concrete experience doing this I'd be pleased to hear from you, either in the forum or by PM. If you have any good links for current projects like this, please tell me. Googling comes up with all sorts of suggestions, but some have stalled, or never really got off the ground.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Ame, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Discussions section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to answer all your questions. Enjoy the forum.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'll try to answer a copu8le of your questions but you asked a lot of them ;)

Secondly, is a network connection crucial to using the tablet? If I buy a tablet, then take it somewhere remote, will it work? If I load up some content on the tablet, such as videos, pdfs, photos, documents, I should be able to view/edit them anywhere, right?

No, anything installed on the tablet, those things you mentioned in particular, will operate with no network connection

Thirdly, how does one back up the data on the tablet. For example, if I take some photos, or if I write a document, can I back up to a Micro SD card easily?

With a WiFi connection there are many options. Without one items, (like the photos and such) can be stored on an SD card

Fourthly, is Android multi-user? i.e. can I configure the tablet with several usernames and passwords and each user can log in when they want to use it and have their own files kept separately from other users who might use the tablet?

Not at this time. Version 4.2 is supposed to be capable of multiple profiles, (multi user)

As for some of the other items you mentioned it is possible to get a local WiFi network set up so that the tablets could access the server and do most if not all the other items you mentioned. The network would not need to be connected to the Internet to work.

ame

Feb 10, 2013
Thanks for the information. I will have to buy one and have a play. I am thinking of the Pipo S3 for clients, since they have a display, and the Rikomagic MK802IIIS for servers since they are cheap. Both of these devices can have Linux installed, but it seems that an Android tablet such as the Pipo S3 is useful out of the box even in a standalone configuration.