A Tethering solution that actually works....for me at least!

wricks

Aug 6, 2010
Let me say that I'm not the one who came up with this......just passing along a solution that works. Here are the instruction I followed and linkage to the XDA thread it came from.
icon4.gif
INFO - bluetooth tether TO Transformer - for dummies

"I will try to make this a step by step how to bluetooth tether to my transformer. (for us dummies) if you are advanced see the end of this post.
things to know:
1.- i will be mentioning the bluetooth settings screen a lot so, the way you get there is apps/settings/wireless&networks/bluetooth settings.

2.- for my example my phone is rooted but, my transformer is stock
phone: rooted using wireless tether
TF: not rooted

things to do/have before anything:
1.- INSTALL wireless tether ( at the time of this post im using version 2.0.8pre1)

2.- OPEN wireless tether
donate screen CLOSE or DONATE (up to you)
PRESS Green icon in the middle to STAR tethering
ALLOW superuser rights
PRESS green icon in the middle to STOP tethering
ALLOW superuser rights (yes again)
EXIT and REBOOT phone

MY NOTES: ok you made it this far you can now tether to other devices that accept the ad-hoc type connection. (im not explaining any deeper because this is for us dummies)

----------------------
ok are you ready? i am

1.- phone: open wireless tether and go into settings
1.- TF: go to bluetooth settings screen and turn bluetooth ON

2.- phone: scroll down and check Use Bluetooth AND Discoverable
2.- TF: do nothing

3.- phone: press BACK once to go back to the main screen (screen with green Icon)
3.- TF: do nothing

CHECK POINT: on this screen it should now say Bluetooth on the top-right corner

4.- phone: press Green icon to start tethering
PRESS YES to the bluetooth permission request then...
4.- TF: press Find Nearby Devices

5.- phone: press PAIR (screen with the bluetooth code)
5.- TF: press PAIR (same screen with the bluetooth code)

CHECK POINT: on the TF there is now a bluetooth icon on the bottom right corner

6.- phone: do nothing
6.- TF: on your bluetooth settings screen SELECT your new found device ("Droid" in my case)

CHECK POINT: bluetooth icon should now have 2 little arrows

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR AWESOME TRANSFORMER IS NOW CONNECTED BROWSE AWAY

thank you guys for reading this and if you have any questions dont be shy and post them.

------------------
FOR ADVANCED USERS

do not make the mistake to pair your phone using the bluetooth settings on each device. you MUST use the settings INSIDE wireeless tether to make phone discoverable."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just tried the directions from the OP and thought it would turn out like so many of the attemps I've made to tether my rooted Droid to the TF = epic fail!

Not in this case! I have an rooted OG Droid running SSGB 5.4 (thanks Chevy), wireless tether app from the market v2.0.8-pre1 ***EXPERIMENTAL***, and a stock (for now) Asus TF101. Followed the directions to the letter and viola - internet access on the go!

Many props to the OP.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097692

Now, go get some tether.;)

Last edited:

beastman

May 8, 2011
Will it work with rooted tablet and stock phone?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Valvoline

Jul 25, 2011
This was all not so complicated with my rooted Droid X. The transformer actually has an option you can tick that states; "use this connection for internet access" in it's blue menu. Activate bluetooth on your phone, activate bluetooth on your transformer. make phone discoverable and search for devices. Have the transformer look for devices and connect. The phone will say: "Paired but not connected". It doesnt seem to matter for the transformer. Mark the "use this conenction for internet access" and voila, happy browsing. No tethering program needed.......

mitzzi

Aug 22, 2011
This was all not so complicated with my rooted Droid X. The transformer actually has an option you can tick that states; "use this connection for internet access" in it's blue menu. Activate bluetooth on your phone, activate bluetooth on your transformer. make phone discoverable and search for devices. Have the transformer look for devices and connect. The phone will say: "Paired but not connected". It doesnt seem to matter for the transformer. Mark the "use this conenction for internet access" and voila, happy browsing. No tethering program needed.......
I do it this way withmy iphone 4 and have never had any problems :cool: