A thread to dispel some misinformation

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I've noticed that some people seem to think that I said the Kyros was "locked down" after the MID7015A update. That's kind of true. What changed is in the file default.prop. There is a system variable set there called ro.secure which is what tells the system whether to allow root access via adb or not. In previous Coby builds, this was set to "0" or "off", which made it easier to modify the tablet via adb and other development tools. The latest release has this variable set to "1" or "on", which means that the build was not meant for developers, but for the average end-user. This is a consequence of this being a "user" build. If they were still shipping an "eng" or engineering build, the development tools would still be available on the device, and adbd could be run as root on the tablet.

z4root works on the new update with no issues. In fact, I've moved on from rooting/gapps as these are in reality a non-issue.

There is now enough information here about this update and the missing "flash_image" binary that almost anyone can still install clockworkmod and the gapps suite. Please read the sticky threads carefully before asking the same questions several other people have asked.

Thank you for reading my little rant here to the end. Oh, and go to the main Android Discussion area here and read the how to ask questions thread.. The essay there actually is well-written and will help you get help not just here, but at almost any technical forum/discussion.

code347

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for clearing this up. It was unclear that Z4Root would take care of rooting the device. This bit if info should be added to the z4root guide.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Here here! *slams table. Also READ the ultimate rooting guide AND the updated rooting guide before asking anything about the Google Market and rooting.

Sent from my MID7015

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
@code347: Agreed. I would do it, but I'm a bit busy right now. If you want to volunteer to add a post to the ultimate guide, I will unlock it for a while.

I did state very clearly that z4root works quickly in the thread about the update. And now to return to lurking for a bit.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
You guys rock. Coby should have you on their payroll. You are making this tablet more user friendly. Thanks one more time.

Sent from my 7015 using Android Tablet Forum App

code347

Feb 4, 2011
@code347: Agreed. I would do it, but I'm a bit busy right now. If you want to volunteer to add a post to the ultimate guide, I will unlock it for a while.

I did state very clearly that z4root works quickly in the thread about the update. And now to return to lurking for a bit.

It looks like it has been covered well in that thread, as well as a couple of others.