A1 Wifi dropout issues... fixed!

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
Got my A1 about a week ago and spent a couple of days just looking it over and playing with whatever came stock in the unit. I didn't have a router so I couldn't get online immediately, but I was able to detect several WiFi signals (of my neighbors) thru the walls. I was able to connect to my PC and copy some photos, and some spreadsheets, just to try the image viewing tools that came with it, and the Docs-to-go. At this point, without having gotten online yet, I was pretty happy with the A1.

So on day 3, I drive myself over to a nearby WalMart, and for $30 I get myself a Belkin N-150 wireless router. I set this up so my PC remains hard-wired to my cable modem (thru the router) but now I can also connect with the Ideapad. The signal showed in my A1 as "Excellent", and I was able to set up my email, and log in to a few sites to test the operation of my new toy!

I was pretty happy... for a minute or two... until I noticed that I my wifi kept disconnecting and reconnecting... about every 30 seconds or so. The actual disconnect time was about 5 seconds so I was able to surf the web and download a few apps, and the few seconds of unconnected time went unnoticed at first because the download or web surfing would just pause and restart as soon as the connection restored itself.

Uncertain why this was happening, and being new to WiFi technology, I started reading forum messages and found others had experienced this as well, but there was no posted solution. So next I looked for wi-fi tools that might shed some light. I found this...

WiFi Analyzer... https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

This was pretty neat. It showed me what channels my A1 had best reception on (and I set my Belkin router to that channel) and it also showed the WiFi disconnect every 35 seconds, but now I was able to see that when it lost my routers signal, it also lost my neighbors WiFi signals too, so the problem was not my router dropping out.

My search for WiFi tools continued... until i found this...

WiFi Static... https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.statIc&hl=en

This was also pretty neat. It set up a static IP... did all the work... and now I have a steady WiFi connection at home with no more 5 second dropouts every 30 seconds.

Once again, after a few brief moments of concern, I am happy with my A1.

KeviNJ

Dec 1, 2011
Glad the ending was a happy one, but your "wifi stunts" should not be needed. I have had no such troubles with my a1, or other devices, but I have heard of such troubles with various wifi devices.

I will let experts comment on why.

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
Not sure what "stunts" you are referring to. I was just commenting on a couple of utility apps that I thought were worth mentioning, and one seems to help fix an issue that I (and others) experienced.

crudeles

Mar 2, 2012
I just bought my A1 and set it up today and I was having the issues with my WIFI dropping every 5 seconds...very aggravating when I am trying to set up my new A1 and download apps. I read thru the threads here and downloaded the Wifi static app as was suggested and IT WORKED....thank you so much! I now love my A1. I will go back to the brand and tell them they need to put this on the Lenovo website as I work for Lenovo.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
This thread could help a lot of folks having WiFi problems

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Got my A1 about a week ago and spent a couple of days just looking it over and playing with whatever came stock in the unit. I didn't have a router so I couldn't get online immediately, but I was able to detect several WiFi signals (of my neighbors) thru the walls. I was able to connect to my PC and copy some photos, and some spreadsheets, just to try the image viewing tools that came with it, and the Docs-to-go. At this point, without having gotten online yet, I was pretty happy with the A1.

So on day 3, I drive myself over to a nearby WalMart, and for $30 I get myself a Belkin N-150 wireless router. I set this up so my PC remains hard-wired to my cable modem (thru the router) but now I can also connect with the Ideapad. The signal showed in my A1 as "Excellent", and I was able to set up my email, and log in to a few sites to test the operation of my new toy!

I was pretty happy... for a minute or two... until I noticed that I my wifi kept disconnecting and reconnecting... about every 30 seconds or so. The actual disconnect time was about 5 seconds so I was able to surf the web and download a few apps, and the few seconds of unconnected time went unnoticed at first because the download or web surfing would just pause and restart as soon as the connection restored itself.

Uncertain why this was happening, and being new to WiFi technology, I started reading forum messages and found others had experienced this as well, but there was no posted solution. So next I looked for wi-fi tools that might shed some light. I found this...

WiFi Analyzer... https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

This was pretty neat. It showed me what channels my A1 had best reception on (and I set my Belkin router to that channel) and it also showed the WiFi disconnect every 35 seconds, but now I was able to see that when it lost my routers signal, it also lost my neighbors WiFi signals too, so the problem was not my router dropping out.

WiFi Static... https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.statIc&hl=en

This was also pretty neat. It set up a static IP... did all the work... and now I have a steady WiFi connection at home with no more 5 second dropouts every 30 seconds.

Once again, after a few brief moments of concern, I am happy with my A1.

I have read many posts about Wi-Fi dropout, and do not have this problem. I am using an older Verizon Westell Modem/Router (Model 7600) and have no dropout at all. Wi-Fi Analyzer pointed me to the best channel (I live in an apartment building, so you can imagine the number of other networks that I can see). I do not have extremely high speed (1.184 Mbps), but it is rock solid for both my desktop and Wi-Fi.

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011
I have read many posts about Wi-Fi dropout, and do not have this problem.... it is rock solid for both my desktop and Wi-Fi.

I have no explanation why some users have a rock solid Wi-Fi connection to their router, and other users (myself included) have to set up a Static IP (in their A1) in order to achieve a solid link. It could be the routers being used, and it could be variations in the A1 production. I just posted my personal experience, and the steps I took to resolve my issue with Wi-Fi dropout. Hopefully it has helped other users with a similar issue.:cool:

SyZ

Jun 26, 2012
Sorry but i can't understand, What i really need to do to fix it?? because in mine tablet it doesn't work i do all the steps etc... and still 30 seconds on 30 seconds down and it's very frustating -.-' can any guy help me plz

janner43

Jul 6, 2012
Sorry but i can't understand, What i really need to do to fix it?? because in mine tablet it doesn't work i do all the steps etc... and still 30 seconds on 30 seconds down and it's very frustating -.-' can any guy help me plz

OK - this is a known issue with the A1. First of all, it is only an issue with certain routers, particularly BELKIN. So if you have a Belkin, you are likely to get the problem.
Second, it is fixable - even on a Belkin - by setting a FIXED IP for your connection on the Lenovo to your router.
Thirdly, if you don't understand how to do this yourself, you can try the app suggestions below, or try Googling Lenovo A1 wifi problem. There are several posts across the net about it & how to fix it.

Mine was doing the same thing, so I downloaded "Advanced WiFi Lock Free". Stays connected now, no problems.
https://market.android.com/details?...sIm9wb3RlY2guYWR2YW5jZWR3aWZpbG9ja2ZyZWUiXQ..

smithmarkw

Mar 18, 2016
i had the same problem. read every post on every forum, tried everything, nothing. then i remembered that the problem had started right after i installed a game from the google play store. i removed the game, rebooted, and the problem was gone. i repeated this procedure twice to verify it, and it worked. before you resort to any complex solution, try this!