A2109 Web Browsing (Chrome) Performance Is Poor

damianiw

Jun 30, 2013
Hi

Please don't flame but I'm confused about the poor web browsing experience I get on android (chrome) compared to my ageing ipad2 with safari.

Spec wise I believe the a2109 should equal or surpass my ipad, gaming wise its an amazing device and matches or bests my ipad 2 (bests because we can use sixaxis!)

So why is web browsing so poor, is it an android thing, I even tried running the crapware remoed stock rom available on here (thanks to flashallthetime) and some websites are just awful on the a2109 whilst they're fine on ipad 2.

I know friends with android phones, to be honest the performance on the a2109 is making me hold back getting one - I had and do not want another iphone.

I am wondering if chrome isn't using the same acceleration games do, on ipad you can notice that browsers other than safari are a lot slower because apple restrict the java accelleration.

I know there's a big price diff between the 2 but is the ipad really more powerful ?

Regards

Damian

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
If all you do is web browsing, you are wasting much of the capability of the lenovo. I use mine to develop systems for other tablets. I run a dual boot system with choice of ICS or JB. Try that on your iPAD.

Post some scores for comparison. Sunspider java test is a good benchmark. What do you get on both ?

I have heard safari gets good scores in iOS, but I don't have one.

damianiw

Jun 30, 2013
Agree with you the lenovo is really capable and apple's restrictions are a headache - even with jailbreak

Will give sunspider a go just wondered how others find it maybe kitkat will improve things on android as they start to move away from dalvik but guess its unlikely we'll see kitkat for our lenovo's even though they're capable

Regards

Damian

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
I absolutely hate chrome, its finicky so I always use aosp browser, my moto x came with chrome preinstalled so I had to figure away if getting aosp browser to work and I got it done. Everything Google has done with chrome is an disaster, I think they would be better off simplifying chrome, the major issue with android is its made for all kinds and different spec'd devices, where iOS is made for just 1 phone. Kitkat sucks, I really hate the white background for the dialer, art causes issues with apps galore.

Sent on my Moto X

damianiw

Jun 30, 2013
so in your experience is aosp the best browser for android, I've found too many issues with dolphin and also firefox & firefox beta

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
I've found Chrome to be painfully slow, both on my A2109 and on my Galaxy Nexus. Clearing its cache every now and again helps a little.

kirbo719

Nov 30, 2013
I've had my A2109 about 18 months now. I used it several months with stock ROM, unrooted, no changes to the OS. I found that no matter which browser I installed, the web browsing experience on this tablet was just plain flaky. I used the stock browser, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, Opera Light. Regardless the browser, every few minutes, the browser would freeze. This message often would present: "The browser has quit responding. Wait or Quit?"

So, I rooted the tablet, installed Titanium Backup so I could freeze or uninstall OS apps, and tried a succession of ROMs for this model. It just didn't make no nevermind. Absolutely the same, repeatable, results when web browsing, regardless the ROM, and regardless the browser. Often the browser would abruptly stop and quit and send me back to the home screen.

It does other functions fine. BeyondPod podcast catcher, TuneIn Radio for streaming live content, never a problem. . . I can watch Netflix movies via the Netflix app, no problem.

I finally cried "Uncle!" and gave up on the tablet - and I absolutely feel defeated, because this device has some horsepower and ought to have performed so much better than was my experience.

I bought an ASUS 10" Transformer a week ago. Not a single problem browsing the web so far.

Last edited:

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Well its good to know I'm not the only one.
Still using mine periodically, to keep it updated, but browsing on it is terrible.