a500 3.2 HELP

Yela57

Dec 3, 2011
hello. im a new member to this forum and have recently adopted the acer a500 with 3.2 software stock. we also ordered a Lepan tablet. i would like to be able to tether the a500 with both our htc thunderbolt and our motorola photon. i have been trying to find a solution for about a week now and have come up empty. i have tried the wireless tether app, the hotspot app as well as the pdanet tablet app. nothing seems to be working. on top of that this thing doesnt even recognize files when i plug in a micro sd. i downloaded all types of file managers and finally found that astro atleast shows the pictures from the card. someone please help me. best buy has no clue and i would really like this thing to be able to use tether. it has to be possible. any feedback would be much appreciated

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
And the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...8167-downloading-pics-usb-sd-card-reader.html

Warning:
Most carriers will charge you extra if they catch you tethering to your phone.
PDAnet (new version) will teather, but only for SOME things, such as email and web browsing and maps. The market does not work
as of this time.

You also said:

on top of that this thing doesnt even recognize files when i plug in a micro sd. i downloaded all types of file managers and finally found that astro atleast shows the pictures from the card.

So, ignoring the fact that your first sentence is immediately contradicted by your second, what exactly did you expect it to do?

This is entirely normal. When you plug in a new microSD card it will scan the card and find all the files it knows how to deal with. But its not going to do anything with those files by itself. Those files will show up in the applications that deal with that type. Pictures will show up in the Gallery, etc. Music will show up in the music app. But it takes a while for it to scan the card.

So the best bet is to get a file manager, like you did, and take the time to learn how to use it. Tap any file on the microSD card ( that is, navigate to the directory named /mnt/external_sd), and the file manager will open that file with the appropriate app.
Also some apps have to be configured to look in certain directories for files they handle. Check settings in each application.

Yela57

Dec 3, 2011
ok i failed to mention i stopped at tim hortons to use their wifi to try to download a file manager that would recognize my micro sd card. when i first opened the a500 i had no idea it didnt have a file manager or file expert installed. i did go into the gallery looking for pics and thats when i realized it wasnt reading the sdcard or should i say the files were not being managed. i have read through all of the pages in the tethering sections and have tried the pdanet tablet and it keeps failing. i get the devices paired but on the tablet it does not say connected and under the profiles in the bluetooth menu there is nothing there to indicate an internet connection. iam unfamiliar with using command prompts and the adb-shell i have read about. was hoping there may be a oneclick install available to help.
And the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...8167-downloading-pics-usb-sd-card-reader.html

Warning:
Most carriers will charge you extra if they catch you tethering to your phone.
PDAnet (new version) will teather, but only for SOME things, such as email and web browsing and maps. The market does not work
as of this time.

You also said:

So, ignoring the fact that your first sentence is immediately contradicted by your second, what exactly did you expect it to do?

This is entirely normal. When you plug in a new microSD card it will scan the card and find all the files it knows how to deal with. But its not going to do anything with those files by itself. Those files will show up in the applications that deal with that type. Pictures will show up in the Gallery, etc. Music will show up in the music app. But it takes a while for it to scan the card.

So the best bet is to get a file manager, like you did, and take the time to learn how to use it. Tap any file on the microSD card ( that is, navigate to the directory named /mnt/external_sd), and the file manager will open that file with the appropriate app.
Also some apps have to be configured to look in certain directories for files they handle. Check settings in each application.