A500 4.0 update

sullivan.evan

Jan 19, 2012
Chat session from Acer today:
Sajin Tisserent: Hi, my name is Sajin Tisserent. How may I help you?
Sajin Tisserent: Hello Evan.
Evan Sullivan: Hello!
Evan Sullivan: I am wondering if the A500 was going to get ICS and if so when
Sajin Tisserent: According to your submission of data, the Serial Number/SNID for your Acer tablet is XEH60PN0021136F0521500 and I see that your Acer product is covered under standard limited warranty.
Sajin Tisserent: From the information that you have provided I understand that you require information on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.
Evan Sullivan: Correct, if the A500 is getting it and when please
Sajin Tisserent: Thank you for the confirmation, Evan.
Sajin Tisserent: Evan, the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade is sent over air.
Evan Sullivan: So the A500 will be getting 4.0?
Sajin Tisserent: Yes.
Evan Sullivan: Do you know when?
Sajin Tisserent: It is sent in the order of the serial number.
Sajin Tisserent: We do not have information it.
Evan Sullivan: Do you know when that will start?
Evan Sullivan: ok
Evan Sullivan: Thank you very much
Sajin Tisserent: It will start soon. Nothing has been declared as of now.
Sajin Tisserent: You are most welcome, Evan.
Evan Sullivan: Awesome, thanks!
Evan Sullivan: Have a great day!

He said it will start soon.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I know that the connotation of soon means "tomorrow, or the next day", but the denotation is general and needs perspective. Soon "for you and I" is not the same as soon for a mouse, beaver, elephant or Ent.

It was stated before that 4.0 will "start to roll out in Jan'12 for the A500". I do not remember where it was said, nor am I attempting to propagate rumors and heresay.

There seems to be some geography to the updates, they seem to always start in Australia. You're in Green Bay & I'm in Chicago; from what I can tell from looking at some threads and my own experience with updates, we'll get it somewhere between 3 - 4.5 weeks after the first thread about getting the update starts.

Btw, did you ask why you need to be in-warranty to get the answer to that question?

kierandill

Feb 8, 2011
Hello, my name is Sajin. ICS soon.
$peggy-discover-comm.jpg

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hello, my name is Sajin. ICS soon.

Ok, now that was some funny funny stuff.

For those in other countries that don't get the reference, see this youtube of a US TV commercial:

And please, everybody, don't put an ounce of weight into anything the Acer support line tells you.

Last edited by a moderator:

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Does Acer push updates or just make it available for a user to download? If it's pushed, how do you refuse it? I'd rather wait and see over a period of time before updating.
I didn't register my device as the benefits just looked like spam. Just newsletters.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Does Acer push updates or just make it available for a user to download? If it's pushed, how do you refuse it? I'd rather wait and see over a period of time before updating.
I didn't register my device as the benefits just looked like spam. Just newsletters.

They push then.

Then some people snag them and make them available for download and you can side load them. Check the XDA web site.
The sideloaded ones can be risky because you can never actually be sure it is the virgin update, and that it is
exactly the version you need.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
To answer your question, you get notice that an update is available. Weather you install it or not is up to you.
One thing the person who posted this thread did not ask was weather the ICS update is available with vanilla or chocolate ice cream,

Last edited:

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
I have a related question. I haven't upgraded to 3.2 yet. To do the ICS upgrade will I have to go to 3.2 first or will I be able to upgrade right to 4.0?

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Chances are you will be able to directly update to 4.0.

But I have to ask, why haven't you upgraded to 3.2 yet?
If you hacked your tablet, such that the 3.2 OTA upgrade won't work, then in all likelihoods neither will the 4.0 upgrade.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Thanks - BTW I don't like ice cream. Why don't they call it potato chip?

I had heard that GB was good on the phone, so when carrier had upgrade, I did upgrade. Then I found the problems. It misplaced ringtones, photos, etc and had to tweak to get them back. I didn't see much difference between Froyo and GB. That's why I would rather read someone else's trials and tribulations and learn. Save myself the hassle.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
People,

I will let you all know when ICS arrives here in Australia. Icebike will probably get it about 4 maybe 5 weeks later (I know he said 6).

My guess ACER will probably release it about 2 or 3 weeks after MOTOROLA.

It is coming.