A500 4.0 update

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Guess they chose to roll updates in batches with the A200 first, then A500/501, followed by A100's all in April. May be a later build that they will be pushign to A200's again.

Thank god they redefined the default ICA layouts and customized, ICS ust isn't tablet optimized by default..
According to the Acer web site at the following link, it does not say it will be released Mid April.
It says TBA Mid April.
To me that means the release date is To Be Announced Mid April.
If we go by updates in the past we know they give dates and then keep pushing them back.
I hope it's coming mid April. Hopefully TBA means To Be Available.
Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - When will Android Operating System 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) be available for my Acer Android tablet?

Last edited:

alec11

Aug 16, 2011
Chat session from Acer today:
Sajin Tisserent: Hi, my name is Sajin Tisserent. How may I help you?
Sajin Tisserent: Hello Evan.
Evan Sullivan: Hello!
Evan Sullivan: I am wondering if the A500 was going to get ICS and if so when
Sajin Tisserent: According to your submission of data, the Serial Number/SNID for your Acer tablet is XEH60PN0021136F0521500 and I see that your Acer product is covered under standard limited warranty.
Sajin Tisserent: From the information that you have provided I understand that you require information on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.
Evan Sullivan: Correct, if the A500 is getting it and when please
Sajin Tisserent: Thank you for the confirmation, Evan.
Sajin Tisserent: Evan, the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade is sent over air.
Evan Sullivan: So the A500 will be getting 4.0?
Sajin Tisserent: Yes.
Evan Sullivan: Do you know when?
Sajin Tisserent: It is sent in the order of the serial number.
Sajin Tisserent: We do not have information it.
Evan Sullivan: Do you know when that will start?
Evan Sullivan: ok
Evan Sullivan: Thank you very much
Sajin Tisserent: It will start soon. Nothing has been declared as of now.
Sajin Tisserent: You are most welcome, Evan.
Evan Sullivan: Awesome, thanks!
Evan Sullivan: Have a great day!

He said it will start soon.

useless some they people on the phone they have your cash for the acer ( which the iconia a500 in my case) waste of time phoneing imo

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

detz

Jan 3, 2012
"Many apps will work but require side loading". What exactly does side loading mean?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
"Many apps will work but require side loading". What exactly does side loading mean?
I'm not sure. Someone else stated "side loading". However I'm sure we'll find out very soon.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Side loading is when you load an app via the SD Card.

<-- Is impatiently waiting for 4.0
Thanks for that but I googled it and according to their definition it applies to all apps not loaded via the android market/google play. In other words, if you downloaded app direct from a developer's web site this is called side loading. I suppose by definition this includes SD Cards.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
I know that the connotation of soon means "tomorrow, or the next day"

Here at NASA, we have a joke for the word "soon". We define it in an equation: soon = 2years + Xyears

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
Here at Nasa in Clear Lake Texas. For awhile Soon= xdays-x+y till you are laid off.

I know things are tough at some of the facilities now. We're still launching rockets (NASA Wallops) and we have more commercial customers coming in, so we're going strong. We have taken in quite a fee refugees from the Cape. I wish you the best down there!

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I have a family member that handles Acer North America sales and tech support (they have a US tech support? thought everything is in india now).

His kid had an A500, he has an A510. BOth had offcial 4.0.03. So I asked first.. when's it coming.. second, can you update mine? lol

Now clearly it is an Acer Rep/office version. It has standard Acer/ICS stuff, but, it also had Acer demo modes, and benchmarking and system settigns that are not standard. Plus Acer bloatware.

He said servers are already ready to distribute to A500 then A100 in North America. The exact day they start rolling by system ID's is not set in stone, but it starts when servers are sent the go ahead. I guess they handle all A200 updates as well and they are still trinkling out to those that ignore the message.

The acer wheel is on it. Yet it is slightly different then the leaks. this had the wheel feature then a slide out feature that opeened little sub features, which clearly my figers have an issue with. The center lock will trigger the main system of the unlock mode you have set, such as face recognition which uses the front camera.

I was curious about Order and Chaos online. Well it's not in the market for it, but can side load and run fine. Developer fix stated as coming shortly by a next update.

The Onlive app works. It actually works perfectly smooth.

I put in my memory card and my video's also played smoother then normal withotu that occational pause of the higher resolution beign scalled down (because I use hdmi out often).

THen it was taken away from me............... RUined my Easter dinner.............

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Your display of algebraic formulae is impressive.

How about:

period of time of possession of A500 / warranty = owner's concern + ACER's delay of ICS roll out * 0.82(price of new model / have the money).

IF result > 1 THEN keep old
ELSE buy new one

jmlivingston

Nov 17, 2010
I have a family member that handles Acer North America sales and tech support (they have a US tech support? thought everything is in india now).

In South Dakota by any chance? I know that a lot of their North American internet presence is based out of North Sioux City, South Dakota ever since they bought out Gateway Computers about 4 years ago. After the buyout Acer started moving stuff there. A lookup of the IP address for www.acer.com resolves it to 63.66.78.161 which is still listed in ARIN as being owned by Gateway.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
In South Dakota by any chance? I know that a lot of their North American internet presence is based out of North Sioux City, South Dakota ever since they bought out Gateway Computers about 4 years ago. After the buyout Acer started moving stuff there. A lookup of the IP address for www.acer.com resolves it to 63.66.78.161 which is still listed in ARIN as being owned by Gateway.

no. California as far as the office is concerned. Who they use for their web site or server base is probably very different.

Acer.com itself is Eurodns rooted. Local traffic will be rerouted by region.

Last edited: