A500 4.0 update

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
...ability to remove most of the included applications. Since that probably won't change in ICS ...
I thought there was an ICS feature that allowed for bloatware to be put to "permanent" sleep. Can't get rid of it, but doesn't suck up resources.
I thought I read somewhere that ICS has no Flash support, is that true?
If so, is there a way to get it to work?

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I thought there was an ICS feature that allowed for bloatware to be put to "permanent" sleep. Can't get rid of it, but doesn't suck up resources.
I thought I read somewhere that ICS has no Flash support, is that true?
If so, is there a way to get it to work?

I'm sure I read that also, that we will be able to freeze unwanted bloat in ICS. Sure hope that's true. I didn't hear, however, that Flash isn't supported. I sure hope that isn't true.

Anybody have any more info on these two items?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Flash support remains in ICS.
Google Chrome Browser which is in beta on ICS has dropped Flash support.
And adobe plans no more upgrades to flash for mobile platforms. Its Dead Jim.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Freezing bloatware will be an acceptable solution so I hope it really exists. Then I'll just hide all the shortcuts in a junk folder so I can ignore them.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Flash support remains in ICS.
Google Chrome Browser which is in beta on ICS has dropped Flash support.
And adobe plans no more upgrades to flash for mobile platforms. Its Dead Jim.

I knew it was going the way of the Dodo, but I figured there'd be some sort of legacy support for tablets. I use my tablet more like a laptop than a mobile device. I guess that by time it's a real issue (for me), whatever's replacing Flash will be sable and used by more sites.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well like i say, flash still exists and you can download it from the market for ics devices.

Oh, and freeze (disable) makes the bloat ware disappear from the app drawer, and it stops nagging you about updates.

It's still there taking up room in the tablet, but it never runs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Here is a little additional info to go along with what Icebike said:

Flash, our favorite internet media format slated for obsolescence received an updated today that brings full support for Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). There was a bit of grumbling when Adobe decided that the format was going to be discontinued for the company to pursue development into HTML 5. Luckily, just over a month ago, they announced that Android 4.0 would be the last version of the mobile platform that would be supported.

Source: Adobe AIR gets updated; ICS support promised and delivered

It's good to know we will be able to disable the bloat too.

...And...it's going to be a breeze to disable apps: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-problem-android-built-in-apps/

Last edited:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Well now I have something to look forward to so I can finally get rid of some of the garbage on my tablet. This is the only real complaint I have against the a500 so I should be completely happy after I get this new feature.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Well now I have something to look forward to so I can finally get rid of some of the garbage on my tablet. This is the only real complaint I have against the a500 so I should be completely happy after I get this new feature.

I totally agree Greg. I would have rooted my tablet to get rid of the bloat if I could safely get rid of if I could still get OTA updates, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting it back to stock every time a new update came out and take the chance of messing something up. Even though the apps will still be on the tablet taking up space, at least we won't have to see them and grrrrr every time we do. We can pretend they're gone and hopefully they won't come back to life on their own. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Yeah flash has been an option to install on ICS, i posted this awhiel back. They will support it till more sites migrate to html 5.0 which also supports more google features.

Advantage is it allows gaikai to run on tblets with ICS browsers effciently so you can look forward to high def PC cloud gaming outside of just onlive right in the browser straight from a link.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
. I use my tablet more like a laptop than a mobile device. I guess that by time it's a real issue (for me), whatever's replacing Flash will be sable and used by more sites.
Funny you should say that. I also use my tablet like a laptop. I guess I'd jump around like a jumping jack if I heard someone call the A500 a computer - I'd.... I'd ... go have a great tub of icecream to celebrate.

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
I have really enjoyed my Honeycomb devices (the A500 and Le Pan II), so I get a little scared of change, you know, in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of way. I have used a custom 4.0 ROM on an HP Touchpad, and one thing I didn't like is the change in the way we get to configure our screens. But, that may just be a matter of the bugginess of custom ROMS. For instance, the ROM also disabled the camera, GPS, and -worst of all - the microphone. However, I have being reading reviews from Tech sites which say that the ICS upgrade is fantastic, making functions faster and smoother. So, I guess I'm looking forward to it...guardedly.

flomar

Jul 20, 2012
barskin said:
I have really enjoyed my Honeycomb devices (the A500 and Le Pan II), so I get a little scared of change, you know, in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of way. I have used a custom 4.0 ROM on an HP Touchpad, and one thing I didn't like is the change in the way we get to configure our screens. But, that may just be a matter of the bugginess of custom ROMS. For instance, the ROM also disabled the camera, GPS, and -worst of all - the microphone. However, I have being reading reviews from Tech sites which say that the ICS upgrade is fantastic, making functions faster and smoother. So, I guess I'm looking forward to it...guardedly.

Hi, I just updated to ics. I have an Acer a500 and I was not able to update directly when it popped up the update. I got 3-4 times that message with update failed, then I followed the advise that I have to go in settings and do the selection for screen time out 30 min and something else that I unfortunately I am not able to remember and then from settings I chose that the device to check for update, it found the ics update and voila in about 10-15 min got ics. It seems that all got OK, I don't face any issue, it works same like my HTC amaze. Good luck. If I remember what else I did I will get back.
OK I remembered set stay awake to always or smth alike.

Last edited:

fortytwo

Apr 28, 2011
My A-500 has not updated yet. "About Tablet" gives Android Version 3.2.1. Updates are set to automatic. When I ask for a check it says none available. Got my A-500 in May 2011. I did a reset a couple of days ago. No change.

Should I do something else? Don't know of anything I want to do that I can't do now - well except for a USB modem, but know that isn't supported by the OS. It's so much more functional than my IPAD 3, I wouldn't want to screw it up. Who would release an OS that made you go back to the base screen to back up one screen - other than "one button mouse" Jobs. Wish my A-500 had the IPAD 3 screen though, and IPAD has a better wifi range and processing speed.