A500 4.01 ICS update happened this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Mine has been updated to 4.0.3 a week or so ago... Everything really great. It actually is FASTER than with 3.x. I'm surprized.

One thing that works LESS NICELY is WiFi. Sensitivity is much lower, and picking up WiFi after taking the device out of sleep is much longer to take place. I hope they fix the WiFi stack soon. :)

Othewise, VERY happy!

Gilles.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Mine has been updated to 4.0.3 a week or so ago... Everything really great. It actually is FASTER than with 3.x. I'm surprized.

One thing that works LESS NICELY is WiFi. Sensitivity is much lower, and picking up WiFi after taking the device out of sleep is much longer to take place. I hope they fix the WiFi stack soon. :)

Othewise, VERY happy!

Gilles.

Hi...I was having WiFi problems for awhile after I updated to ICS. I also had trouble connecting when coming out of sleep. A couple of things helped me. The thing that helped the most was changing to another WiFi channel, and the two items mentioned in this Acer link could help also:

Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - What can I do if I am unable to connect via WiFi after completing an Acer Android tablet system update?

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Hi, frapshake. Thanks, but the WiFi update is for 3.1 ... not applicable to 4.0.3 ... and I'm certainly not willing to do a factory reset... I'm sure they will fix it as well. About the WiFi channel... which one are you using? I'm on 13. I can go to 8th... and see if it changes.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Hi, frapshake. Thanks, but the WiFi update is for 3.1 ... not applicable to 4.0.3 ... and I'm certainly not willing to do a factory reset... I'm sure they will fix it as well. About the WiFi channel... which one are you using? I'm on 13. I can go to 8th... and see if it changes.

No, I didn't mean for you to get the WiFi update. I know it isn't for the 3.1 update, and I agree with you on that. I meant the first two items:

1. Disable and re-enable WiFi using the following steps:
    1. Select Apps, Settings, Wireless & networks, and then select Wi-Fi to remove the checkmark and disable it.
    2. Power off the tablet.
    3. Power on the tablet.
    4. Select Apps, Settings, Wireless & networks, and then select Wi-Fi to add the checkmark and re-enable it.
  2. Perform a hardware reset using the following steps:
    1. Power on the A500.
    2. Use a small, thin object, such as a paperclip, to press the recessed reset button located on the bottom of the tablet.
    3. If done correctly, the tablet will power off and restart.
    4. Once the tablet is back at the login screen, repeat this procedure again.

This reset isn't the factory reset and you will not lose any of your stuff. It's just something to try that may or may not help, but #1 helped me when I couldn't connect, but it didn't solve my entire problem. Since I changed channels, I haven't had anymore trouble with it and my signal stays strong. I am on channel 1, but the way to test it, if you don't know, is download WiFi Analyzer and it's great for showing which channel would be best to use. Good luck.

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
If I were you I would edit and take out my SN

Thanks. I also solved the problem. I needed to remove an anti-virus apk and manually install the Acer Updater. Installs kept failing until I removed the offending apk. Once that was done, ICS 4.0.3 was downloaded and installed.

Everything looks fine so far...

Last edited:

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Hi, frapshake. Yes. Did all that. Using WiFi Analyzer for a long time... :)

Changing my WiFi channel to 6 definitely seems to have helped every device in the house. So keeping it at 6. Hopefully that will do the trick. :D

Thanks,
Gilles.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

Othewise, VERY happy!

Gilles.

Gilles, mine came just over 96 hours ago, an counting, I run extensive tests and almost everything is fine - even the WIFI. Haven't had a major problem. One thing though, when I hit one of the on screen bookmarks it opens two tabbed Browser windows. This is something I can live with.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Hi Douvie!

Coooool. Never had the two tabbed browser problem. Maybe the bookmark itself is for 2 links... :) Have you looked at it's content?

Gilles.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Hi, frapshake. Yes. Did all that. Using WiFi Analyzer for a long time... :)

Changing my WiFi channel to 6 definitely seems to have helped every device in the house. So keeping it at 6. Hopefully that will do the trick. :D

Thanks,
Gilles.

That's great. Glad to hear it. It sure helped my devices too. When I'm back in the bedroom and run WiFi Analyzer, it tells me another channel would be better than 1. So, looks like it depends on what location you are in the house or yard. Hope it solves your problem completely. :)

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Gilles, mine came just over 96 hours ago, an counting, I run extensive tests and almost everything is fine - even the WIFI. Haven't had a major problem. One thing though, when I hit one of the on screen bookmarks it opens two tabbed Browser windows. This is something I can live with.

Douvie, if I understand what you're saying, when you open your browser from the desktop widget, you have two tabs open? If you just make sure all tabs are closed before you close the browser, that won't happen. Also, Mrhelper said it's good to close all tabs because the browser uses much more CPU/memory when tabs are open in the background. Sometimes I like to close with an open tab though, because I'm going to get back to that website soon.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Douvie, if I understand what you're saying, when you open your browser from the desktop widget, you have two tabs open?

Yeah that's about right.

If you just make sure all tabs are closed before you close the browser, that won't happen. Also, Mrhelper said it's good to close all tabs because the browser uses much more CPU/memory when tabs are open in the background. Sometimes I like to close with an open tab though, because I'm going to get back to that website soon.

Yeah but this problem was not exclusive to ICS because it happened with HC as well. I just didn't bother complaining about it. Thanks anyway Frapshake....You've given me something to investigate.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah that's about right.

Yeah but this problem was not exclusive to ICS because it happened with HC as well. I just didn't bother complaining about it. Thanks anyway Frapshake....You've given me something to investigate.

Its a browser option.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Its a browser option.

If you are referring to the Open in background setting in Advanced, you can still make new tabs and if not closed, they will still be there when the browser opens again. Personally, I like to keep this setting unchecked and have each page open in a new tab. It's easy to click the x on them to close them.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Its a browser option.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Basically when you have 2 tabs open and shutdown. When you restart - poor choice of words - and tap the bookmark/ icon on screen it opens with 2. I tried with 3 too see if it would open 3 and it did. So one needs to close the BROWSER with only one tab - ?.. Let me get this into my mind.