A500 4.01 ICS update happened this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
I have a question for those knowledgeable on such things. I rooted my Acer A500 a couple months back. Using latest Thor rom (non ICS). Put that on there by following a Youtube video.

Can I just download the new update and put it on my SD and install it via the recovery menu? I'm guessing I will lose root? Will it wipe the tablet and all my apps/files? How is this going to go down? Should I wait a few days later and install the official ROM minus the bloatware that will inevitably be released on xda? Thoughts?

Thanks,

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
xphyle said:
I have a question for those knowledgeable on such things. I rooted my Acer A500 a couple months back. Using latest Thor rom (non ICS). Put that on there by following a Youtube video.

Can I just download the new update and put it on my SD and install it via the recovery menu? I'm guessing I will lose root? Will it wipe the tablet and all my apps/files? How is this going to go down? Should I wait a few days later and install the official ROM minus the bloatware that will inevitably be released on xda? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Give it a few days and someone will release a rooted stock from of this.

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Do anyone think that anyone will develop a root specifically for this like Gingerbreak did, or will we need to go with a ROM?

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I hope you are right.

If we have to start over on Angry Birds my grand kids will kill me!!!
:eek:

true dat
I've been playing too long to have to redo my games.
Check out Angry Birds Backup by Sergio Patricio
It's in the Play Store, and will back up all AB games to a Dropbox account or your SD card.

I recently discovered it myself.
It's also great for syncing your games between devices.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwyLDEsInB0LnNhbXAuYW5ncnlCaXJkc0JhY2t1cCJd

BTW: "Fry Me to the Moon" add-on just came down the line for AB Space.

No update here yet, unfortunately.
I'm really looking forward to it, and appreciate Acer's commitment to our tablet. :)

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Still not happening here in AUSTRALIA. I haven't heard anything from NZ either. Or the EU? You US people must be tickled pink.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Often the US get's game patches, game releases earlier.

We also often suffer through the bugs and need of more patches earlier.

potatoman83

Apr 25, 2012
From what I hears, the build that acer is pushing out is the exact same buld that was leaked in early april.

Build:
ACER_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1

Kernel:
2.6.39.4+

Can anyone verify this?
If so some of us have had it almost a month already lol.
And the root simple method for the previous leak build from xda work for this too.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
It's not the same build, the leak didn't have key features Gen will depend on machine build as well.

it the same base, modfied. TG for apk freezer and remover.